New to M&P
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > New to M&P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default New to M&P

I'm planning on getting a M&P 40 compact soon. Is there anything I should know (pros and cons)? I've heard some negative things on the trigger pull.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Get an Apex trigger job it is worth the money, I carry my 40c and shoot every chance I get, over 2000 rounds and no problems

Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Agreed. You'll want to have a trigger job done on it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I like M&P's a lot but they do have funny triggers. Not bad triggers, just different.

One food for thought is something my Dad, a 38 year LA Cop, told my daughter's boyfriend when he was thinking about buying a Glock. The same thought can be applied to the M&P or really any gun. Her boyfriend asked Dad what he thought about a Glock with a new trigger job and replacing the barrel for one that will allow him to shoot reloads. Dad's answer was:

"Why don't you price the Glock as it comes from the factory, price the trigger job, price the new barrel and add those three figures together. That is exactly how much you are spending on your Glock and will open up a whole new window of available guns in that price range. Now you are in the market for a Sig, HK, Colt, FN or even a low end Kimber. Wouldn't you rather have a Sig over a Glock?"

Same idea goes with the M&P. You can buy the M&P in the upper $400's to upper $500's but if you add in a trigger job add that in when figuring exactly how much the gun cost you. Then look at options in that price range. I am not putting M&P down. I like them a lot as they come in the box and Smith & Wesson is certanly a well proven brand. I am just looking at from a money point.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly
I like M&P's a lot but they do have funny triggers. Not bad triggers, just different.

One food for thought is something my Dad, a 38 year LA Cop, told my daughter's boyfriend when he was thinking about buying a Glock. The same thought can be applied to the M&P or really any gun. Her boyfriend asked Dad what he thought about a Glock with a new trigger job and replacing the barrel for one that will allow him to shoot reloads. Dad's answer was:

"Why don't you price the Glock as it comes from the factory, price the trigger job, price the new barrel and add those three figures together. That is exactly how much you are spending on your Glock and will open up a whole new window of available guns in that price range. Now you are in the market for a Sig, HK, Colt, FN or even a low end Kimber. Wouldn't you rather have a Sig over a Glock?"

Same idea goes with the M&P. You can buy the M&P in the upper $400's to upper $500's but if you add in a trigger job add that in when figuring exactly how much the gun cost you. Then look at options in that price range. I am not putting M&P down. I like them a lot as they come in the box and Smith & Wesson is certanly a well proven brand. I am just looking at from a money point.
well the trigger job if you do your trigger yourself will cost you 90 bucks after that it's a top end firearm id stack up against the hks and sigs all day long. Now op run a few thousand rounds through it before you decide on apex. you understand you gun better and when you do do the apex kit you'll really see the difference.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was able to do a fairly good trigger job on my M&P 9 with some 3M 800 grit and a couple of drops of gun oil. Once the area on the paper you're working with gets loaded with metal, it probably gets up into the 1200-1500 grit range and stops removing metal and starts polishing.
I did the over travel and sear mod as described here a day or two after I got my 9, and it's been a flawless performer since.

The only money I've spent was on a DPM spring because I sometimes shoot Federal 115g +P+ loads.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1
I was able to do a fairly good trigger job on my M&P 9 with some 3M 800 grit and a couple of drops of gun oil. Once the area on the paper you're working with gets loaded with metal, it probably gets up into the 1200-1500 grit range and stops removing metal and starts polishing.
I did the over travel and sear mod as described here a day or two after I got my 9, and it's been a flawless performer since.

The only money I've spent was on a DPM spring because I sometimes shoot Federal 115g +P+ loads.
What did you get your trigger down to? My .45 was a bear averaging 7lbs before. I kind of wish I had seen that procedure before I might have gave it a whirl.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Mine is sitting at just under 6lbs.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Apex, Apex, Apex I've said it before I'll say it again. You will not regret this purchase.
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html

Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Trigger pull is something you'll get use to. It's a super reliable pistol and ideal for concealed carry. It's a hair slimmer than my G27 and not as blocky. I carry it in a CompTac appendix carry and it conceals very well with just a tshirt. I've upgraded the sights to the TruGlo TFO and it has been one of the best things I've done to the gun. Good luck with yours. Below is mine.