Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   New Handgun (M&P9) owner...first range trip with target pics. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/new-handgun-m-p9-owner-first-range-trip-target-pics-106420/)

Anjinsan 04-23-2014 03:07 AM

New Handgun (M&P9) owner...first range trip with target pics.

Hello,

Long term lurker...this is my first "real" post. I finally popped my cherry today at the range. I was hoping to go with a more experienced shooter but getting my buddies to the range seems a bit like herding cats. So after 100 snap cap drills I finally just decided to bite the bullet and go by myself. I told the counter man that I was green...but that I had taken gun safety classes as a 13 year old. (decades ago)

Quality camp though...2 week sleepover and we fired everything there in addition to talking safe hunting classes/courses over the two weeks. There was a pretty long written test at end of camp and viola you got a hunting license.

Anyways he puts me in the farthest left lane possible. I think he had a plan as the lane immediately to my right had a student and a instructor that came in minutes after I got there and I felt his eyes on me a few times. (no talk from him though so I must've been alright)

I loaded one bullet...went through my routine...shot. repeated a few times. then 2 bullets a few times...then full clips.

I have attached my two best targets out of 7. They were the middle targets in sequential order. My fear and nerves were way down...my arms weren't yet tired. I shot everything at 7 yards. Next time maybe I'll creep it out to 10...but saw no reason to on my first 100 rounds ever.

Oh and before I forget...I loved the whole dang thing! The gun went bang every time...I could handle the recoil easily enough...the volume took a bit to get used to but...

With no point of reference...I think that I have a gun (M&P9) that is way better than I am...I look forward to meeting the gun somewhere in the middle. :)

I would like all suggestions/tips/anything. I am a reader. :)

http://www.akagenc.com/images/!!!shots4.jpg

I think that i skipped 5 in my labeling...there was no 5 when i brought them home.

http://www.akagenc.com/images/!!!shots6.jpg

DrFootball 04-23-2014 08:59 AM

Congrats! Head on over to the Introductions thread when you get a chance and introduce yourself! Either Me or one of a few others will send you some links to help you out. I was 8 the first time I shot a 22 Rifle, and 10 my first time with any handgun. Currently getting(Re-Certified as an NRA Pistol and Possibly will do youth teaching as well(Ret. HS and college Educator post Service). Sounds and looks like your doing fine. Lots of Encounters where a Good Guy has to draw take place at 30 Ft. and in.
Guys who survive gunfights do so because they are good and lucky close up. With the 2-3 guns I actually carry( one of them being an older S&W 439 BTW), I practice with them at 12 Yds(36ft.) and in. Large Silhouette targets at 10-12 Yds., and Reactive bullseye and small silhouettes at closer..
Birchwood Casey & Caldwell makes all kinds of splatter targets(2D reactive) that are relatively inexpensive.

Try out a few different Holsters when you decide. Get extra Magazines when you can.

Oh, we also have a Podcast here( Shameless self promotion!) hosted by VIKINGDAD and myself if your into on Demand Radio. We try (My wife & I) and take friends of all skill levels out with us whenever we go which most recently has been 3 weekends in a row...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

roguejesse 04-27-2014 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks very good for a beginner. Just wondering what kind of pistol you have that uses clips?

Every one I've seen used a magazine.

Attachment 142967

Jesse

kryptar19 04-27-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roguejesse (Post 1566386)
Looks very good for a beginner. Just wondering what kind of pistol you have that uses clips?

Every one I've seen used a magazine.

Attachment 142967

Jesse

Come on, be easy on the new guy.

OP, congrats! The M&P is a fantastic handgun, and you shot VERY well.
The quote above is true tho, so do remember that magazines and clips are different tools.

I'm glad to see a new shooter thats as excited as you.

Airborne1 04-27-2014 12:31 PM

Nice shooting! And welcome to the best gun forum on the web!

Anjinsan 04-27-2014 01:31 PM

misnamed piece of equipment noted.

We never had handguns around the house when I was a boy. I shot a few 22 pistols...but the household did not own any. We had a 7mm rem rifle, and a over under competition level shotgun. (skeet) I think that we had a 410 too...oh and a 20 gauge. But I STILL remember the kick of the 7mm.

I've started handguns with a two thumb forward grip. I think that will serve me best. Had the smallest backstrap on the M&P...as I have smallish hands...but I think the medium grip might just be better for actual shooting purposes for me as I can grip it naturally w/o having to back off finger from the trigger like I was doing with the small. I was doing too much readjusting my first time at the range. Hopefully that backstrap swap and the nerves of first time being on range being over...brings my right leaning shots more on center.

I really love the M&P. Last night I got to see my friend's old S&W sigma tactical...I privately thought it looked like junk compared to my gun. Felt kinda cheap too. But I suppose none of that matters if he is accurate with it.

Anjinsan 04-27-2014 01:31 PM

double post edit.

kryptar19 04-27-2014 01:44 PM

A set of Talon grips is a good upgrade for the M&P. You can get a granulate (sand paper) texture, or a rubberized texture. It helps with recoil management, and keeping a solid grip with sweaty/dirty/bloody hands.

Anjinsan 04-27-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1566438)
A set of Talon grips is a good upgrade for the M&P. You can get a granulate (sand paper) texture, or a rubberized texture. It helps with recoil management, and keeping a solid grip with sweaty/dirty/bloody hands.

nice. That would be better. I really do want to get "the grip" for me and stay the course. The M&P medium grip fills my hand nice...but it is a tad non-gripp-y.

Fred_G 05-06-2014 12:13 AM

I can not say how much I like the Talon grips on my M&P pistols, and it is not expensive.

Good shooting!

And don't worry too much about the clip vs magazine stuff. I do prefer the term magazine, but, according to the May "American Rifleman" magazine,

"US Ordnance Dept. documents referred to the detachable-box magazine for what would become the U.S. M1911 pistol as, well, a clip."

Any typos in the quotes are my fault, am having hell typing for some reason...