Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > M&P9 full size vs shield?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

I don't know about in your area but around here they are extremely difficult to get hold of. I got lucky and heard about a shop an hour away that got 50 of them in. By the time I got there they had 3 left.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I don't know about in your area but around here they are extremely difficult to get hold of. I got lucky and heard about a shop an hour away that got 50 of them in. By the time I got there they had 3 left.
The last time we went I didn't notice any, but JW said he thought he saw some. Remember, Im in cali so guns aren't necessarily flying off the shelves here. Hopefully they'll have what Im looking for. Even if its not in 9, I'll at least get an idea.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

We're going to the LGS today anyway. Upon more research, we've learned the Shield isn't ambidextrous. GGAC is a south-paw.

We'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post

The last time we went I didn't notice any, but JW said he thought he saw some. Remember, Im in cali so guns aren't necessarily flying off the shelves here. Hopefully they'll have what Im looking for. Even if its not in 9, I'll at least get an idea.
I'm sorry to say that the shield is not on the CA DOJ handgun list last time I checked.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #15

Liked 247 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Check out the M&P 9c. It has a reversible mag release, and some have the ambi safety, which can be easily removed if you wish. Not as small as the Shield, but might work, and would operate like the M&P 9.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dude13
I'm sorry to say that the shield is not on the CA DOJ handgun list last time I checked.
I was on the S&W website earlier today and they had one labeled "CA Compliant." So if that's any indication, it is now.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_812066_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G
Check out the M&P 9c. It has a reversible mag release, and some have the ambi safety, which can be easily removed if you wish. Not as small as the Shield, but might work, and would operate like the M&P 9.
Yeah, I own a 9c and I like it a lot. It's another GGAC is considering.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Went to the LGS today, held and shot a kahr pm9, a ruger lc9, held a m&p 9c, as well as a ruger lcr and ruger sp101 just for kicks.

So far the 9c is winning in my book for a concealable gun. I'd prefer a single stacked magazine but if the 9c can be hidden in a bra holster (hubby has the 9c so we'll see about that) then I certainly won't complain about those extra rounds.

Im thinking about looking at concealable steel framed guns as well, so we'll see what I end up choosing.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
Went to the LGS today, held and shot a kahr pm9, a ruger lc9, held a m&p 9c, as well as a ruger lcr and ruger sp101 just for kicks.

So far the 9c is winning in my book for a concealable gun. I'd prefer a single stacked magazine but if the 9c can be hidden in a bra holster (hubby has the 9c so we'll see about that) then I certainly won't complain about those extra rounds.

Im thinking about looking at concealable steel framed guns as well, so we'll see what I end up choosing.
I am a big fan of the M&P 9c, also works with full sized mags for fun on the range. But defiantly check it out size wise. Smith could have done a better job slimming it down for carry, the trigger is not the best, but it has been very reliable at the range and a couple of classes. Plus, is operated like your full sized gun.

Looking forward to seeing what you select.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post

I am a big fan of the M&P 9c, also works with full sized mags for fun on the range. But defiantly check it out size wise. Smith could have done a better job slimming it down for carry, the trigger is not the best, but it has been very reliable at the range and a couple of classes. Plus, is operated like your full sized gun.

Looking forward to seeing what you select.
Im always interested when people don't like the triggers, I personally love them. My only complaint is the ghost reset but I only notice that when Im using snapcaps to practice trigger control.

I HATED the kahr. Im all bruised up from the snappy recoil and bad bore axis. Maybe its good for someone but definitely not me.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #20

I don't like it because of the poor (in my opinion reset). But have heard the Apex stuff fixes that.

I find it hard to feel the reset when firing live ammo, dry presses, no problem. I am a bit spoiled, I shoot a 1911 with a 3# trigger, not a fair comparison to the M&P, but they could improve it some. The M&P is a good gun, if it fits your needs.