M&P9 full size vs shield?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > M&P9 full size vs shield?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default M&P9 full size vs shield?

Im coming to terms with the fact that I'll never be able to conceal my full sized m&p 9 on my body. My clothing is too tight and my body is too small (never thought I'd be saying that). I told myself I'd just purse carry but now I'm seeing these really neat bra holsters and Im thinking that would be a better alternative sometimes, like when Im walking the dogs or taking the kids to the park. That being said, how do you guys compare the two? I love my full size because it fits my hand like a glove and, for me at least, its a natural pointer. Its imperative that they feel similarly because sometimes I still plan to purse carry my full size. At this point I'm just musing and will definitely get some hands on trigger time before I decide but for right now, what do you guys think?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had both for quite a while, ( a 9c too). While I agree with the points you make, the FS isn't a good CC choice, especially the way you mentioned carrying. Grip's too big and the 17rd mag is too heavy. If you can get a Shield, do it. You'll find the learning curve almost non-existent and it's much lighter, easier to conceal particularly with the short mag.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
Im coming to terms with the fact that I'll never be able to conceal my full sized m&p 9 on my body. My clothing is too tight and my body is too small (never thought I'd be saying that). I told myself I'd just purse carry but now I'm seeing these really neat bra holsters and Im thinking that would be a better alternative sometimes, like when Im walking the dogs or taking the kids to the park. That being said, how do you guys compare the two? I love my full size because it fits my hand like a glove and, for me at least, its a natural pointer. Its imperative that they feel similarly because sometimes I still plan to purse carry my full size. At this point I'm just musing and will definitely get some hands on trigger time before I decide but for right now, what do you guys think?
Go to your local gun store, tell them what you have, your likes and dislikes, and let them point out a few smaller guns that may have the same feel for you. If there is a female employee there, so much the better.

A lot of people will tell you that you can adapt. Don't believe it. You should never settle for something based on concealability if you find it pointing two feet off target every time you pick it up. Pointing naturally is critical for a self defense firearm.

Something else to consider. When you buy a new sidearm try to buy something you can carry and conceal no matter what the weather. Carry the same gun, with the same ammo, in the same place all the time. If you want to own three dozen firearms that's fine, but your carry gun should be the one that points naturally, and the one you should spend the most time shooting.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

My sister is selling her shield if you're looking to buy one. PM me and I can try and set something up. She has maybe 100 rounds through it at best.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Something else to consider. When you buy a new sidearm try to buy something you can carry and conceal no matter what the weather. Carry the same gun, with the same ammo, in the same place all the time. If you want to own three dozen firearms that's fine, but your carry gun should be the one that points naturally, and the one you should spend the most time shooting.
I don't think I agree with you, at least for my own situation. I am very comfortable with my fs and there's no reason I can't purse carry it, Im confident with it and have practiced to the point I could operate it in my sleep. The whole point of this thread is wanting something similar because I don't think its reasonable to think a woman must carry the same way all the time, given the huge variety of types of clothes we wear. There isn't a single rig that would work for everything I wear in a period of a week. Wearing a bra holster like the flashbang would only be for situations where its inconvenient or impractical to carry a purse and personally I'd rather carry a different gun than usual, than not carry at all.

I simply want a general opinion on whether or not they feel similarly, all things considered. I fell in love with my fs and if there was any possible way to conceal it on my body, I would do so. I've gone as far as to entertain the idea of breast implants to give myself extra room for concealment. The shield seems to be a reasonable compromise if its got the same feel.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The shield is noticeably smaller and thinner that the full size and doesn't have the swappable backstraps. Other than that it is exactly the same.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
The shield is noticeably smaller and thinner that the full size and doesn't have the swappable backstraps. Other than that it is exactly the same.
So the backstrap on the shield, which size would you say its most like?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'd have to say the smallest.

forumrunner_20131026_101045.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I'd have to say the smallest.
Thanks. We're planning a trip to our lgs so hopefully I'll get to hold one, maybe even rent one and see how it feels.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #10

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Here is a google search on comparisons of the M&P Shield to others. Sounds like if you like the M&P series it would be a good choice for you.

Shield comparison

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!