M&P magazine changes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > M&P magazine changes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default M&P magazine changes

Back in 2011 I had a rough patch and sold my M&P 9mm that I had bought in the previous year. Times are better now and last week I finally replaced my pistol.
I noticed a couple of changes, one good, one not-so-good and one...meh..don't really care. The "meh" change was the filler plastic on the frame to fill the slots where the thumb safety goes. If S&W only wants to make one frame, OK by me. The good change I noticed was the trigger bar/sear engagement contact point. They are machining it from the factory just like the popular mod so that the sear is engaged later in the trigger pull.

Now, on the the not-so-great change. Or, maybe it's not what I think it is and you guys can fill me in. That's the reason for the thread. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the slide stop elevator on the M&P magazines had been purposefully altered to not fully catch the slide stop tab.

Here is an image (Sorry for the cell phone pics.) of one of my mags, that I bought in 2010, fully inserted into the frame. You can see that the elevator catches the slide stop tab and it is riding on top, as I think it should.

Now here is one of the mags that came with the new 2013 model M&P9. You can see that the slide stop tab is being elevated so that it does catch the slide after the last round is fired. But the tab slides off to the side of the elevator portion of the carriage (if that's the right term).

I know it's hard to see the details clearly (I have a really nice Nikon camera rig but it's in storage), but here you can see a top down view of the two mags side by side. The one on the right, with the read stripe, has a more square corner where the slide stop tab comes in contact, giving a larger contact area. The newer mag on the left is more rounded and you can see in the next image (the new mag is on the right this time) that the edge slopes away from the contact area.

This clearly isn't a problem with alignment, as both magazines fit snugly in the magazine well. The shape of the part has been changed for some reason. I could understand if the old mags were not engaging the slide stop mags on three year newer gun, but it's the new mags with the new gun that look like this may potentially be a problem.
Was there a problem with the old design that I didn't hear about that brought about this change?

If nobody offers an explanation for this and it turns out that this is something that may lead to problems (like the slide stop not being elevated) later on, I have come up with a possible fix. It looks like it'd be really easy to scuff the side of the plastic (where the slide stop is touching in the second pic) and build up that area with a little 5-minute epoxy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Have you had issues with it not functioning properly?
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

A few years ago I was watching the local news in Austin. One of the headlines was about a guy who's pickup hydroplaned on US290 and he lost control of it and at highway speeds the truck crossed the median into oncoming traffic and hit a car head on killing it's driver. The guys truck was functioning properly when he pulled out of the driveway with 4 bald tires.

I don't take such a glib attitude with firearms. If there is a potential issue I want to know about it and correct it. But thanks for your input.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're the only one I've seen complain about a firearm without any response to how it functions.

Did the guy not like to look of his original tires and scuff them up a bit??

Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I just wanna understand your concern properly. Are you worried about he slide not locking to the read on the last round?

If that's your fear, I'll go ahead and expel it right now. I have an M&P9c that I purchased a few months ago. I believe it was made this year. It was definitely brand new when I bought it. It always locks to the rear on the last round.

I might just be confused.

Test fire it, get it outta the break in period, test fire it some more, and then let us know if you think it's still an issue.

Always have clean socks.

cswann1 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Ok for anyone interested in this post, for reasons other than to troll, I was given a reason for this design change on another forum.

This change was brought about due to an issue with the follower (the correct term for what I called a carraige) hanging on the mag release from those that had swapped the mag release over for left handed use.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I hate to tell you but you're the troll on you're own thread.
You're looking to improperly fix a problem that has already been fixed based on an issue you don't have.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a brand new m&p 9mm c both mag followers slips off of the side catch bar, so the mag will not eject from gun. I called S&W they said they would send my some new followers. I waited a very long time to get this gun very disappointed with Smith quality the m& p is put together very cheeseze. I have looked at other m&ps all the mag followers barely catch the slide catch tab. I will keep wearing my glock 19 no need to take chances.