Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   M&P Compact 357 Sig, Should I get it??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/m-p-compact-357-sig-should-i-get-74725/)

X-Raycer 10-20-2012 07:36 PM

M&P Compact 357 Sig, Should I get it???

I was in the Police Equipment store last week looking for a S&W Shield .40 and was introduced to this pistol.

S&W M&Pc 357Sig with No Thumb Safety
NIB and comes with:
3 10 Round Magazines
Standard S&W Night Sights front and back
3 sizes of interchangeable Backstraps
The price is $599.00
As a Veteran I get it for $499.00 + 6% tax

Is this a good deal?
I can't find info on it or anything comparable in my internet searches.

I did research the Ammo and see that it is the Ammo used by the Secret Service, Air Marshals, and many State Police Agencies.
I've read that the 357Sig have a Big Muzzle Flash and a Very Loud Bang and that it will do its job after penetrating a Windshield or Automotive Glass.

I like the looks of this pistol.
I don't like the Short barrel of the Shield. It looks lop-sided to me.
I really like the feel of this pistol in my hand.
It would be used for Home-defense/CCW.

Your experience and or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Rich

msup752 10-20-2012 07:50 PM

I carried guns chambered in this caliber for years. It is a reloaders dream as it takes 9mm components. It has great accuracy and penetration. The solid copper or Gold Dot HP's are by far the best defensive rounds (gold dots are made for this calibers velocity).
The recoil is a snap, not a push, similar to the .40.
I had a Sig 229, Glock, and H&K USP. The glock was lightest and highest capacity but snappiest recoil. I've never shot any of the Smiths.
I absolutely loved my 357 sigs over .40's. For factory ammo, .40's are cheaper and there is more choice. Since the Gold Dots are undisputed champs, choice isn't a big deal with HP's.
As for price, I think the M&P's are $600 new around here without night sights.

mag318 10-21-2012 05:33 PM

It's a great calibre and for a few bucks more you can buy a .40 barrel from the factory and have two guns in one. I really like the M&P357c so I strongly recommend them to anyone who is thinking about buying one.

magnumman 10-21-2012 06:17 PM

That's a great deal. I have the 45c. It came nib with 2 mags and standard 3 dot sights for 500. I don't know much about 357 sig but the platform is excellent. I would not pass that up

X-Raycer 10-21-2012 08:56 PM

Thanks folks,
The more I look, I see that there are Barrels in 9mm Luger and .40 S&W from S&W at the Midway site for $65 ea.

And they also have adapters that allow you to use Full Size Magazines and extensions that increase the Round Capacity to 20 Rds. per Mag.
That would be awesome for 9mm at the Range.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Pistol because it has so much going for it.

nitestalker 10-21-2012 09:21 PM

That is a Ctg. I would like to have in a full sized handgun. :)

X-Raycer 10-21-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 984710)
That is a Ctg. I would like to have in a full sized handgun. :)

What does Ctg mean?
Cartridge?

(Edit)
Yeah, that's it.
Silly me...

Kemosabe 10-23-2012 01:51 AM

For me, the MP .40 Compact was enough for me, plus .40 shells are cheaper than the .357 Sig. With todays economy, cheaper is better.

Byron0022 11-02-2012 11:47 PM

I just picked up the very same deal for $399. Took it to the range today, pleasure to shoot, and recoil isn't anything to be concerned about. I've always felt that if a handgun is too snappy for you that you may wanna reexamine your grip. Anyway, very pleased with it so far, now I need to find a decent holster and I can rotate it in as a carry piece.

X-Raycer 11-05-2012 02:15 AM

Byron:
Check out the Blackhawk Serpa holster.
I like how it locks the weapon in, with out a Thumb Strap.
Just press the Trigger Guard Lock with your trigger Finger and it's out in your hand.