M&p .45

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > M&p .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M&p .45

When i finish shooting a mag the slide locks open like it should, then when i insert another mag the slide closes on it's own. I kinda like it, but i'm just wondering if this is normal for M&P's or if i have a defect. Anyone else experience this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Both my M&P9c and shield 40 do this. It is Normal.

Last edited by StLshooter; 10-29-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Slamming a loaded mag home often releases the slide in many semiauto pistols. How often, varies from always to never. It is not by itself a design feature. It is part of your handgun's normal behavior. It is yet another reason to point it in the safe direction at all times.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #4

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

My M&P does it. My Glock does it. My wife's SR9c does it. My buddies XDm9 does it.

I am under the impression that most semi auto pistols will encounter this.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #5

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

I got two words for you, COMBAT RELOAD

Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
I got two words for you, COMBAT RELOAD
You probably mean speed reload. Are you 100% positive your pistol will give you this courtesy every time? It may shave off a fraction of a second. But it is better not to count on it, and be mentally programmed to release the slide.

Last edited by Mercator; 10-30-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
You probably mean speed reload. Are you 100% positive your pistol will give you this courtesy every time? It may shave off a fraction of a second. But it is better not to count on it, and be mentally programmed to release the slide.
You could be right but I have practice this hundreds of times with several guns I own and never had a problem. My sr, m&p, glock, and hk all do this. My buddy has a m&p9c that had a really tight slide release that we couldn't make close when slamming the mags in. He actually sent his gun back to smith because the slide release was so tight you could barely release it. You know some people prefer to use the release lever. When it came back his slide release was a lot easier to engage and when mags pushed in with a little authority it loaded flawlessly. I never use a slide release and always pull and release the slide. And I don't carry extra mags so no reloads are necessary as I carry two guns. I just thought this was pretty cool. If your guns slide release is very hard to engage chances are this wont happen but if it's easy then I'm sure any auto loader will do this if mags are inserted hard enough. I'm not suggesting anyone do this. Just however you choose practice until you can get her done 100 percent of the time. If this is a design flaw it's not with just your gun, it's with all auto loader handguns. Some just do this easier than others

Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #8

A fraction of a second may be life or death by the way

Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mine does this as well. I don't think it's a feature but it should be. It does indeed shave of a bit of time.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser_man View Post
Mine does this as well. I don't think it's a feature but it should be. It does indeed shave of a bit of time.
There must be a reason why it isn't. My guess, it's fool proofing against a human error with the hammer up, safety off, and target not (yet) acquired. Less so for a DAO or Glock action, but I can still see the logic.