Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Looking for a m&p .40 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/looking-m-p-40-a-91682/)

austin92 06-03-2013 10:17 AM

Looking for a m&p .40
 
I'm looking to upgrade my carry gun to an m&p. I know I want a full size as it will b a range gun and I live in an open or concealed carry state. The apex trigger kit will soon fallow it's purchase as well. I've found a few part numbers I'm interested in, just not sure what's best for me and what I should look to pay for each. I know I'd like some night sights so the VTAC (209920) appealed to me but I'm not convinced on the FDE color and I'm not sure how the Viking warrior sights compare to trijicon. The carry range kit (209330)) seams like a good package but not sure what to pay for it and what gun options come with it. If I were to purchase the standard m&p I don't know if I should look for one with a safety (206300) or with out (209300). My current carry gun has no safety and that doesn't bother me. I also see they have one with factory crimson trace lasergrips (220071). I noticed their pro series, one with Novak sights and a 5" barrel (178032) and the standard 4.25 (178036) with unnamed night sights. Thoughts and opinions appreciated

austin92 06-03-2013 10:05 PM

No one????

JW357 06-03-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin92
I'm looking to upgrade my carry gun to an m&p. I know I want a full size as it will b a range gun and I live in an open or concealed carry state. The apex trigger kit will soon fallow it's purchase as well. I've found a few part numbers I'm interested in, just not sure what's best for me and what I should look to pay for each. I know I'd like some night sights so the VTAC (209920) appealed to me but I'm not convinced on the FDE color and I'm not sure how the Viking warrior sights compare to trijicon. The carry range kit (209330)) seams like a good package but not sure what to pay for it and what gun options come with it. If I were to purchase the standard m&p I don't know if I should look for one with a safety (206300) or with out (209300). My current carry gun has no safety and that doesn't bother me. I also see they have one with factory crimson trace lasergrips (220071). I noticed their pro series, one with Novak sights and a 5" barrel (178032) and the standard 4.25 (178036) with unnamed night sights. Thoughts and opinions appreciated

Sorry, by and large I can't help too much. I do have an M&P9c as my carry gun and I love it. Here's what I have to say for your decision, though.

As I understand, the VTAC is quite a bit more expensive. I would think you can just buy the standard, throw some aftermarket sights and an Apex trigger job in there, and probably still come out cheaper than the VTAC. Just guessing, anyway. So in that regard, what are you paying for? The color. Personally I don't like the color. But that's just me. Being in the military, I get enough tactical stuff everyday. So don't need to add "tacti-cool" into my civilian life too.

Regarding the thumb safety, I definitely recommend against one since that's what you're used to. Also, personally I just don't like a thumb safety. One more thing that can go wrong in a heat of the moment situation, and actually happens a lot too from what I've heard.

Also, the Crimson Trace grip seems like one more thing that you can save money on by putting on yourself, vice buying it installed.

Basically my advice is get the cheapest model that suites you and go from there.

Great guns. Love mine, and my wife loves her full sized 9mm.

sdiver35 06-04-2013 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The VTAC sites are made by Trijicon. I have the VTAC and my wife has the two-tone regular M&P. I prefer the dual sites on the VTC.

austin92 06-04-2013 04:49 AM

Just needed one opinion against the manual safety so I won't be getting it now. Thank you. So can I have the vtac sights put on a standard m&p? I was leaning away from the vtac but wasn't sure how their sights compared to standard trijicons. What are the "dual" sights exactly?

austin92 06-04-2013 09:30 PM

No body has night sights that can give some input?

sdiver35 06-05-2013 03:11 AM

Dual sights meaning the have night sight inserts on the bottom and fiber optics on top - best of both worlds. Yes you can buy the VTAC sights and have them put on a standard M&P, but they run around $250 a set.

austin92 06-05-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdiver35
Dual sights meaning the have night sight inserts on the bottom and fiber optics on top - best of both worlds. Yes you can buy the VTAC sights and have them put on a standard M&P, but they run around $250 a set.

So wouldn't you aim high with one and low with the other? Do you or anyone have pics of the Viking warrior sights?

austin92 06-05-2013 09:40 PM

I know there's more than 2 m&p owners on here... Lol

sdiver35 06-06-2013 02:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by austin92

So wouldn't you aim high with one and low with the other? Do you or anyone have pics of the Viking warrior sights?

It isn't enough to notice for me, but at distance maybe a little.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.