Looking for good M&P holster. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum >

Looking for good M&P holster.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My M&P 9c in a Smith & Wesson holster
s-w-holster.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I really like Jason Winnie's work. This is a holster for my Shield, but he makes them for full sized guns also.
jw-holster.jpg  
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Exactly....I'd like to know as well. I carefully examined the holster and there is no conceivable way it can cause an AD unless the holster and gun are mis-matched. And mis-matched can very well include a gun which had a trigger job and the trigger is now indexed differently than when stock.
Just for folks reading who are interested in bans in SERPA holsters. Probably mostly a problem for striker fired guns, but I have ruled out a SERPA for Glock or M&P.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/serpa-holsters-banned-from-fletc/

http://defense-training.com/dti/pdf/Safety-Issue-Prohibiting-Use-of-Blackhawk-SERPA-Holsters.pdf

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=63657

Justified or not. The perception of a safety issue is getting them banned from use in places.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #14

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

So it's not the holster causing a discharge it's a slip of the finger after removed from the holster.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #15

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
So it's not the holster causing a discharge it's a slip of the finger after removed from the holster.
Put your gun in your holster and draw it....where does you finger go? If it goes anywhere but along side the gun you are drawing wrong. There is certainly no way that can be the fault of the holster. What I see is someone with an "itchy" trigger finger passing the buck and blame on the holster. Where is that finger when you use a different holster.....in the exact same place.

Last edited by Missouribound; 04-29-2014 at 01:14 AM.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Put your gun in your holster and draw it....where does you finger go? If it goes anywhere but along side the gun you are drawing wrong. There is certainly no way that can be the fault of the holster. What I see is someone with an "itchy" trigger finger passing the buck and blame on the holster. Where is that finger when you use a different holster.....in the exact same place.

But, if your trigger finger has to press a button that is not along the slide to draw the gun...

Keep in mind many places are teaching folks to draw and shoot from a holster for the first time. The Sherpa can, in my opinion, complicate this. Not that you can't train with it and learn with it and be perfectly safe.

I take some pistol classes, but I am not Special Forces, and neither are most of the people taking the class. Just my personal opinion, but I would not like to be in a class with a fairly new gun person using a Sherpa.

I was taught the trigger finger is indexed or even extended away from the trigger when drawing or holstering.

IMHO most retention holsters would be for a more advanced type student to begin with.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #17

Some other articles and videos also pointed to the release mechanism getting bound up with rocks, sand, ice/snow, and basically locking the gun in place.

Again, it is probably mostly a training issue, but if they are banned from use in some ranges, training settings, or competitions, I'm not likely to spend my money on a SERPA and limit myself right off the bat.

Many people like to say Glocks are a likely platform for negligent discharge. I tend to be of the mindset that says if you train right and index your index finger properly, it won't happen.

Probably the same is true of the SERPA (except maybe the clogging issues in a tough environment).

There are other holsters out there like the Uncle Mikes IRT, BladeTech, DeSantis, Safariland, Galco, Don Hume, etc. for the price I don't see any advantage in going with the SERPA. I have one for a Beretta 92 that was given to me. It seems ok, but I couldn't use it at a match, because they had been banned. I went with a Yaqui slide instead.

Possibly some bogus claims against the holster, but as I said I've ruled it out just because of the possibility of not being able to use it in some settings or locations, because it may be specifically banned.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #18

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
But, if your trigger finger has to press a button that is not along the slide to draw the gun...

But that's not how Serpas work. The lower part of the retention is within the trigger guard in the space between the guard and the trigger. The release mechanism is above the trigger guard, on the frame ABOVE the trigger guard. I'm looking at mine as I type. My fingers are placed as such....3 fingers on the grip, one finger naturally fits right on the release. Even if I had my trigger finger bent as if to shoot, it would not be in the trigger guard area, it would be on the frame below the slide and above the trigger guard. It is not a design flaw, it is an anxious shooter flaw...at least in my humble opinion.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #19

This video explains one way it can happen.

His explanation seems plausible and the fact that his holster in a different orientation has been trouble free for him.

I think it is a reasonable holster, just not for me.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 AM   #20

Quote:
But that's not how Serpas work. The lower part of the retention is within the trigger guard in the space between the guard and the trigger. The release mechanism is above the trigger guard, on the frame ABOVE the trigger guard. I'm looking at mine as I type. My fingers are placed as such....3 fingers on the grip, one finger naturally fits right on the release. Even if I had my trigger finger bent as if to shoot, it would not be in the trigger guard area, it would be on the frame below the slide and above the trigger guard. It is not a design flaw, it is an anxious shooter flaw...at least in my humble opinion.
And that is how opinions work... I am a KISS shooter, my trigger finger has the job of staying well away from the trigger until the gun is aimed. That is just me. Keep in mind, many classes are dealing with new shooters... Anxious, maybe, unexperienced, but if something were to go wrong... Give me a standard leather/kydex holster.

I am not putting down the Sherpa holster, just is not for me, and I do not recommend it for new shooters. Whether it is design or shooter error, it seems to increase the odds of a ND using Sherpa holsters in many classes with new or fairly new shooters.