LC9 or Shield
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > LC9 or Shield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default LC9 or Shield

I have been around guns all my live but handguns are not my specialty. I am looking to invest in my first handgun and with the months of searches and reviews I have narrowed it down to two. The Ruger LC9 or the Smith and Wesson Sheild. Want to get some more reviews on the two in comparison, which of the two are better and which should I choose?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I own both the Ruger LC9 and the S&W M&P Shield .40 cal. Both are excellent CC handguns and it is going to come down to personal preference with to get. Have you held/shot either? How do you plan to carry? Ask yourself these questions.

For me I carry my LC9 more often than the Shield as it fits in to my right front pocket holster better as it is just a hair smaller so it prints a lot less. But if your going IWB carry than both are rock solid and you'll just have to find the right holster (I use N8^2 tactical professional holsters) but you might prefer the hybrids better.

So get out and check both out, thought the Shield may be a little harder to find than the LC9.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry the M&P Shield 9mm. I like it a lot. It is very hard to find though. The LC9 was a long pull for me. Like Marc29th said...try them out...it is really personal preference. =)

Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I've got an lc9 and I like it. You have to get used to the trigger though. No matter what you get you will have to get used to it.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. I have had both in my hand and they fit nice. Don't have the chance to shoot either before I buy (which frightens me). But I am leaning towards the LC9 because of the accessories and thanks for the advice.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #6

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUcam
Thanks for the help. I have had both in my hand and they fit nice. Don't have the chance to shoot either before I buy (which frightens me). But I am leaning towards the LC9 because of the accessories and thanks for the advice.
Glad we could be of some help to you. Let us know when you get it and a range report after shooting it.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #7

Hope I'm not too late... I have both, my Shield is a .40 cal model. The Shield is a better gun overall with fit / finish and trigger pull. The KelTec has more felt recoil cause of the long trigger and lower weight. The KelTec still wins when weight is a major consideration eg pocket carry. Both CAN be carried in a large pocket with the proper holster.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

Are you talking about the PF9?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUcam View Post
Are you talking about the PF9?
OOOPPPS! I am talking about the PF9 vs the Shield ( I'm one of those guys that think the LC9 is a KelTec finish upgrade; no knock on the LC9).
Don't know if this helps either but the P11 carries well too but is boxier and the trigger is longer to pull than the PF9,

Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have an LC9 and a Shield. I like both guns but would give the edge to S&W for overall build quality, fit & finish. The Shield is a great gun out of the box, my LC9 needed some tweaking in the form of a Galloway Precision trigger kit and stronger recoil spring. Although I will admit that the kit did seriously improve the LC9's trigger (less take up, lighter pull and smoother). Since then I have added some Apex DCAEK parts to my Shield, so technically that's a wash on trigger kits. They both have 'em now but only the LC9 really needed one. I prefered the stock sights on the Shield as well. I have since swapped them for Warren Tacticals, but with the LC9 my only option was XS Big Dots. Both guns are capable, reasonably priced, carry and shoot very well. I like them both but if I had to choose it would be the S&W by a small margin. No offense to Kel-Tec fans, but I had a PF9 and didn't feel it was in the same ballpark as the other two aforementioned guns. Good luck.

Last edited by Sentry18; 08-23-2012 at 03:18 AM.