insights on the shield's reliability

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > insights on the shield's reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default insights on the shield's reliability

i am about to begin my concealed carry and want to start with the smallest and lightest gun that i can find with the "most reliability". after a lot of research, i finally came down to the m&p shield. reliability wise, does anyone have any insight based on your personal experience with the gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

There is really no right answer to the "most reliable" pistol question.

"Most" newly manufactured pistols from reputable manufacturers will function reliably and should be expected to do so "out of the box".

All manufacturers recommend a break in period of anywhere from 200 to 300 rounds through the gun.

The Shield has been getting good reviews, seems to be a good value, and is sized to be a good CCW weapon so your certainly on the right track.

You stated that your new to CCW so I'll assume your new to CCW sized pistols. Remember that every auto pistol that is shrunk down in size from an original "full size" design will be "inherently" less reliable than it's full size counterpart due to the loss of mass in the slide. This loss of mass is accounted for with stiffer springs that must be replaced more often.

After 17 years of daily CCW, I have learned many things. In regard to EDC pistols, I have learned that:
1. Bullet Setback from daily unloading and rechambering the same round can cause dangerous pressure levels so watch for it and rotate EDC ammo accordingly.
2. A gun filled with clothing lint is not good for reliability so lubricate sparingly and clean often. I blow mine out once a week with compressed air and you'd be shocked at the amount of lint an EDC pistol accumulates in a seven day period.
3. Do not simpley run cheap plinking ammo for the break in and then load the gun with expensive SD ammo. You must ensure your EDC load functions reliably and hits to POA/POI. I typically run the cheap stuff Cor the recommended round count and if the gum is running reliably, I then run several acceptable SD loads through it and select the load that work the best in that particular firearm. NOTE: The smaller the pistol, the more important this step becomes.

All auto pistols function on inertia so the level of resistance to recoil provided by the shooter can and will effect reliability. Reviews are a great starting point but be sure to also follow the steps above to ensure your gun works well for YOU and is 100% reliable with your selected SD load.

Last but not least, Murphy's Law will apply. What can go wrong will go wrong at the most inopportune time. Every single pistol on the market can and will eventually malfunction so train for it. Practicing to clear a stoppage and get a gun back into action is a critical skill.

Good Luck.

Tack

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that's really helpful. thanks for the tips!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms
i am about to begin my concealed carry and want to start with the smallest and lightest gun that i can find with the "most reliability". after a lot of research, i finally came down to the m&p shield. reliability wise, does anyone have any insight based on your personal experience with the gun?
750 rounds through my shield and no problems to report.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've shot 3 different Shields:

The Shield I carry more than any other pistol has had about 500 rounds through it. Not a bobble of any kind.

I gave a Shield to my daughter for her 21st birthday, because she loved mine so much. She had one failure to go fully into battery in one of the first mags she put through it. Since then perfect through about 250-300 rounds.

A friend liked mine and my daughter's so much, she bought one for herself. She had 5 or 6 failures to go fully into battery in the first 100 rounds or so, but nothing in the 100 or so since then. I suspect the cheap ammunition she was using was a contributing factor.

Both of these last two Shields were pulled straight out of the box, visual check for barrel obstruction and shot at the range. No lubrication beforehand. Both required a pop on the back of the slide to go the rest of the way into battery. Neither have had a problem with their defense ammo. Neither have had a problem since they were cleaned and lubricated the first time. We all currently use 124 gr +P Golden Sabres.

Last edited by Tom86; 11-01-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #6

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
After 17 years of daily CCW, I have learned many things. In regard to EDC pistols, I have learned that:
1. Bullet Setback from daily unloading and rechambering the same round can cause dangerous pressure levels so watch for it and rotate EDC ammo accordingly.
This is something I've been interested in for a while now. I rarely unload my EDC. How many times would you say is alright to cycle that round before firing it? Also, can it affect the round to leave it in the chamber?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
This is something I've been interested in for a while now. I rarely unload my EDC. How many times would you say is alright to cycle that round before firing it? Also, can it affect the round to leave it in the chamber?
The only thing that will hurt a chambered round is a wet bore. It is possible for oil to penetrate the cartridge over time and it will cause a dud or a squib. Do not leave your bore wet if you are going to load or carry.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #8

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The only thing that will hurt a chambered round is a wet bore. It is possible for oil to penetrate the cartridge over time and it will cause a dud or a squib. Do not leave your bore wet if you are going to load or carry.
Thanks to the dry weather here I don't have to worry much about rusting so I leave my barrels dry. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #9

Liked 2501 Times on 1626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon

Thanks to the dry weather here I don't have to worry much about rusting so I leave my barrels dry. Thanks for the info.
The m&p full size has a stainless barrel, doesnt the shield?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a shield in 9mm with over 500 rounds thru it with not a single issue.