Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > How often to clean my M&P 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I clean my guns thoroughly after every single firing regardless of number of rounds.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #32
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1677 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

For what it's worth, I clean mine after any range trips or IDPA matches. I try to practice once a week, so I clean pretty often.

All I do is wipe off any black residue on the inside surfaces with Q-tips and a toothbrush, run a boresnake through a few times, run a swab with a couple drops of oil through the barrel, a couple drops of oil in the grooves on the slide and a couple drops on the recoil spring guide. The bore always looks mirror smooth and shiny, but no excess oil. Coming up on about 4000 rounds through my XDm 9mm Compact that way and at least that many through my S&W 22A.

I'm planning to have my gunsmith install a set of TFO sights on the XDm (my EDC). While he's at it, I'm going to have him give it a thorough breakdown and cleaning to see whether I need to alter my cleaning method.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/