How often to clean my M&P 9 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum >

How often to clean my M&P 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfedora
Like others have said before me... It is best to clean it after you have been shooting it. If you have been carrying it as a concealed weapon, I would field strip it at least once a month to clean any hairs, lint or dust that might have gotten into it. I do this the first of every month, when I rotate the magazines I have in my loaded pistols.
One thing I always do immediately after cleaning any pistol, is to depress the striker safety plunger, and push the striker forward to see if the tip appears through its hole. I read that tip in a manual for a Kahr pistol. It doesn't hurt to make sure that is in good order.

You didn't ask about what lube to suggest. Everyone has an opinion on this. I do not recommend a liquid oil on the slide rails. Oil has a nasty habit of migrating downward. If you place a freshly lubed pistol on its side and leave it there for an extended period, the oil will may migrate due to gravity. I do use a liquid oil on some springs, Militec-1. I also use it inside the bore. I swab it through, let it set, then run clean rags through. Militec-1 will go into the pores and with heat. It is a dry impregnated lubrication. It makes cleaning the barrel both quick and easy.

As for me, I recommend Mil-Comm TW25B to coat the barrel, the hole it slides through and the slide rails. Mil-Comm TW25B, is a cream like lubricant that can be applied with a syringe available from them, and spread with a small paint brush used for plastic models. It takes a thin coat to lubricate and protect. Once applied, it stays put. They have been tested under severe temperature extremes. Both lubes are used by the military. Militec-1 has been used on the Pegasus Launch Vehicle's control fins. It reaches speeds of 8 times the speed of sound. It has also been used by the army in the middle-east. Mil-Comm TW25B is the official lube used by Sig Sauer. It is also the official F-16, 20MM Cannon specified lubricants, gun parts, feed chutes and loaders. It is also widely used and specified for gatling guns (30MM to 7.62MM).
I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama. I carry daily, and have suffered no malfunctions whatsoever due to lubrication.
Very informative, thanks. I'll have to grab some of that for sure. Sounds like the bees knees

Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I always clean my firearms after every range session. I also clean and lube my home defense pistol once or twice a week. I also function test it with dummy rounds and snap-caps.

In my opinion, I NEED my firearm to work reliably when I need it. I will not let lack of diligence in cleaning cost a life.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiztdiz View Post

Very informative, thanks. I'll have to grab some of that for sure. Sounds like the bees knees
Uber where can you buy that mil comm lubricant and the militec oil

Last edited by john2005; 01-11-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005 View Post
Uber where can you buy that mil comm lubricant and the militec oil
I have bought it from http://www.mil-comm.com/ I've also seen it at Amazon.com and at eBay. I hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfedora View Post
I have bought it from http://www.mil-comm.com/ I've also seen it at Amazon.com and at eBay. I hope it works for you as well as it does for me.
Sweet thank you

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #26

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

I only cleaned mine when I bought it. Since then. I put about 800 rounds through it without cleaning and not one single failure.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
I only cleaned mine when I bought it. Since then. I put about 800 rounds through it without cleaning and not one single failure.
The M&P series pistols are great firearms, but you are living on borrowed time, as far as not cleaning or lubing. I don't care what firearm it is, you have to clean and lube them regularly. You sure don't want any problems to pop up when you really need it. As an example, the manual for the Taurus PT709 Slim very clearly gives a warning to clean it after firing 200 rounds through it. I assume they mean range firing.
I had a friend who ran a pawn shop, and he would often do a little light gunsmithing. Quite often men would come in complaining about their semi-auto shotguns jamming. They had theses guns for several years, and used them hunting without any problems. They never cleaned the darn things. He'd clean and lubricate their shotguns and charge them $50.00 for his services.
I once bought a used Springfield rifle, an Imbel(?), that was their version of a FN FAL. The owner complained it kicked hard. I bought it and as soon as I got it home, I took it apart. The gas system had a good bit of cosmoline in it. I cleaned it thoroughly and when I was able to test fire it, it shot like a dream.

Clean and lube your gun.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #28

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

I'm not saying I won't clean it. I will eventually. All my other guns I clean regularly. Hk, AR, revolver, .22. I'm just seeing how long I could go until I HAVE to clean the m&p.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #29

Liked 3378 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 3087

Don't forget to clean your magazines.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
I'm not saying I won't clean it. I will eventually. All my other guns I clean regularly. Hk, AR, revolver, .22. I'm just seeing how long I could go until I HAVE to clean the m&p.
I'm glad to hear that. I've read where others have done that. A few days ago I bought a S&W M&P in 45ACP, along with two 14 round magazines. I have ordered a set of Trijicon SA37 (Green Front & Green Rear) for it. After I install those, I will take it out to test fire. I fire 300+ rounds through all new semi-auto pistols to test them for accuracy and reliability. The first few rounds I put through any defense pistol are JHPs. I have found, that if those will feed and eject reliably, I generally won't encounter any problems when I feed it FMJs, which is what I do next. I then run 300 rounds of FMJ ammo through them. If it eats those without any issues, I generally won't encounter any afterward.

I failed to mention something else I do to my handguns. The Mil-Comm I mentioned in a previous post, I use for slide and barrel and sear lube. That lube is a white cream. It stays where you put it and will not migrate like liquid lubes.
I use a liquid lube called Militec-1 for the inside of the barrel. First I clean the barrel thoroughly, then swab some Militec-1 through it. I do this, then let it set for a while. After that, I run patches through the barrel to make sure I have removed it. This stuff acts like a penetrating oil. A man I had met, who was an Iraq war vet, told me they field stripped their rifles, put Militec-1 all over the parts and through the barrel, then left them soak in the sun to heat them up. Then they cleaned them to remove it.
I read elsewhere that Militec-1 soaked into the pores and would act like a dry lube after it was heated, which meant it didn't attract dirt, and made it easier to clean after shooting. When I get home from the range, it is very easy to clean the bore of a barrel. It only takes a couple of minutes. I bought Militec-1 from Midway, if my memory serves me.

Y'all do what you want with your guns. What I do, works for me. The bores on all my firearms are sparkling clean.