Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   How often to clean my M&P 9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/how-often-clean-my-m-p-9-a-66489/)

heiztdiz 06-15-2012 10:40 PM

How often to clean my M&P 9

How often should I clean my M&P 9mm assuming I haven't dropped it or got any dirt and debris in it? How many rounds... or times used if there's a rule of thumb for that also. Thanks!

Wiseman3 06-16-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heiztdiz
How often should I clean my M&P 9mm assuming I haven't dropped it or got any dirt and debris in it? How many rounds... or times used if there's a rule of thumb for that also. Thanks!

no, there's no rule of thumb some clean after every shoot some clean after a set amount of rounds and some only clean when the firearm begins to malfunction. you have to find what works best for you. me I clean after every shoot but I tend to throw a lot of lead when I have a range day, but I enjoy cleaning the guns and inspecting them. that's what works for me. there are somethings to consider such as were you using corossive ammo? was it super dirty ammo? and if you had to grab the gun in a moment of nessessity would you be confident its going to fire?

heiztdiz 06-16-2012 11:21 AM

Thanks , I had heard different opinions and wasn't sure which way to go. I'm going to clean it today after I put a few hundred rounds through

Wiseman3 06-16-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heiztdiz
Thanks , I had heard different opinions and wasn't sure which way to go. I'm going to clean it today after I put a few hundred rounds through

Glad I could help enjoy that M&P

Paulpara 06-24-2012 03:55 AM

I clean my M&P after I shoot it because the striker fired system is much more affected with dirt. With my 1911's I can go as high as 1000 rounds. But a normal day at the range with the M&P 300 rounds.

trip286 06-24-2012 04:19 AM

Heiztdiz, are you talking about in general carry without firing?

I personally clean after every shooting session, whether its one round or one thousand rounds.

If it's just been carried without any firing, I wipe down every day, and about once a week I field strip it and take a brush to it, just because you never know where that little piece of grit may go.

I don't detail strip it unless it's been fired or just been a very long time (two months or so), but I always get to shoot before the time frame comes around.

Paulpara 06-24-2012 04:40 AM

I ment after every shooting, range trip

heiztdiz 06-24-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
Heiztdiz, are you talking about in general carry without firing?

I personally clean after every shooting session, whether its one round or one thousand rounds.

If it's just been carried without any firing, I wipe down every day, and about once a week I field strip it and take a brush to it, just because you never know where that little piece of grit may go.

I don't detail strip it unless it's been fired or just been a very long time (two months or so), but I always get to shoot before the time frame comes around.

I was talking about after shooting the pistol. Thanks for the informative post

john2005 06-27-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman3

Glad I could help enjoy that M&P

Hey what do u guys use to clean your m&ps

Wiseman3 06-27-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john2005

Hey what do u guys use to clean your m&ps

a variety of things been trying out different things. started off with good old hoppes #9 used Otis bore cleaner currently trying out the slip 2000 line of products they all work pretty good really you can use what ever gets the gunk out