Apex Trigger? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Apex Trigger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IMO, it depends. if this is a carry pistol, then no i don't suggest making any trigger modifications. not on any legal basis, but simply because of safety issue. if strictly a range gun, then by all means, go for it and make it more to your liking.

pesronally, for a carry or SD/HD pistol if the trigger was not up to my liking, i would possibly either get use to it, or look at another pistol with a trigger more to my liking.

others may disagree with my opinions, but this is whati happen to believe and suggest.
Axxe are you saying no modifications as in no trigger kits, or no tinkering on your own? I would agree that I wouldn't want to bet my life on a self done trigger job (polishing and other things), but if it was a drop in trigger kit from a respectable company I wouldn't have any problem trusting it.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I have an M&P shield and the trigger, for me, is good enough as is and I would not change it.

My question is....I also have an M&P Pro Series w/ 5.25 bbl and I find the trigger to be quite good...better than my Glock 35 and Springfield XDm with 5.25" bbl....is the stock trigger on the Pro series different than a standard M&P or is it just that it suits me better?
I believe that the Pro series has a different trigger

Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 98 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Just installed the forward set sear Apex Tactical Polymer Trigger replacement in my carry .40 Compact. It's absolutely amazing. If I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger, I wouldn't know if I was pulling a my Glock trigger or the Apex.

I have been nuts about the gun but if I couldn't get used to or break in the trigger I was going to trade in the gun so since I couldn't get used to it or break it in after 4 trips to the range and 600 rounds, I thought for $129 was worth the gamble given so many favorable reviews on the trigger.

After about an hour and a half with gun and video on the kitchen table and I got it done. Now that I know the steps I could probably do it in under 20 minutes but not interested in doing it again! The video was ok, I had to "you tube" a couple of steps that were cut out during the editing of the company video.

A 1/16th inch hex wrench is needed which I luckily found otherwise I would have gone to Home Depot to buy it and walked out with another $200 in stuff like I always do, glad I found one and didn't have to make the trip. I lieu of buying an armors block I took a 2x6 and drilled a couple of holes to handle pushing the pins out.

After some initial dry fire, the difference was extremely noticeable and improved. I installed the lighter of the 2 springs that came with the kit, but felt it was a little soft for duty and carry type work at on 3.5lbs. The 5-pound duty spring was around 4.5lbs on the trigger scale, but more crisp and defined. The kit worked as described and shortened the travel of the trigger. From start to fully depressed, it measured to about a half inch less travel. The shot breaks very early in the initial stroke, which offers little take-up, compared to the factory trigger that breaks at the end of the stroke. As a result, the accuracy improved greatly from the ability to provide a smoother, more consistent trigger pull.

I am looking forward to range time this weekend with the new trigger installed.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Change only the striker block or take the stock one and round off the top side and the trigger will smooth up and make for a good carry trigger.

Look around you tube and you will find M&P improvement videos. The comp kit from apex is sweet but you better have model with a safety and use it. 4lbs and a short reset could get you in trouble.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
Axxe are you saying no modifications as in no trigger kits, or no tinkering on your own? I would agree that I wouldn't want to bet my life on a self done trigger job (polishing and other things), but if it was a drop in trigger kit from a respectable company I wouldn't have any problem trusting it.
pretty much either IMO. this is simply a personal observation, not based on legal reasons or anything other than common sense.

the trigger on many newer pistols, like the Glock and some others is the only safety the pistol has. by lowering trigger pull weight, IMO, you lower the safety factor.

there are many benchrest and target shooters that have rifles with trigger pull weights that are measured in ounces, not pounds, and some don't even have a safety at all, simply because of the rifles application and use. not the type of rifle or trigger i would recommend for hunting or SD usage.

something a gunsmith did to several of my revolvers years ago when he did a trigger job on them. he showed me that by smoothing the internals, but not changing the trigger pull weight, it seemed like the trigger broke at a much lower pull weight, when in fact it didn't. smoother just felt like it was lower in pull weight simply because it was smoother in function.

as this was done on revolvers, i am not sure if it could be done to some of the striker fired pistols or not and acheive the same results as they are different platforms, with different operating parts.

these are simply my observations, opinions and my thoughts on changing trigger pull weights on guns in general.

EDIT: these are simply guidelines i follow and if asked my opinion that i offer. what others do to their firearms is simply their decision to make and need to be fully aware that they are responsible for it's safe function if or when they make modifications to their gun.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-23-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Highpower Likes This 
Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 100

This is part of the job I did on my shield

Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Well that's the disconecter that's not bad to change it just sucks u have to take off the rear sight

Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #18

Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 22

No up grade is that hard to do and the common sense upgrades hurt nothing BUT be sure you shoot a few hundred rounds to be sure its functionally dependable I like 400 minimum with any pistol. Then decide if you want to change something. Some of use have some finger joint issues that can make a slight light trigger practical BUT some upgrades go beyond practical and can become dangerous.

Here is a good example of what adrenaline can do when a shot was not needed or wanted. Now we all know leo's glock triggers are jacked up even heavier than stock, but still . Watch-

Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #19

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Older thread but I have the basic apex trigger kit and hands down....so much better thank stock

File Type: jpg 1407806155993.jpg (30.5 KB, 44 views)

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Older thread but I have the basic apex trigger kit and hands down....so much better thank stock
I am considering having the Apex trigger installed in my M&P. One question that is unclear when I look online. It appears that the Apex trigger has a Glock style safety. Does this trigger safety replace the thumb safety that comes standard on the gun?