Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9.

Hello, all:

As you can see from my post count, I am new to this forum and rather new to the shooting world in general. My son, age 16, has been shooting for about two years with his grandfather and from what instructors tell me, he a natural. In March, I bought him a Ruger MK III 22 Target pistol. I started shooting with him and caught the bug.

After some formal instruction, I bought a CZ 75BD Police, Berretta 92FS Inox and an H&K P30, all of which are 9mm.

I live in Pennsylvania and am going to apply for a CC permit shortly. After more instruction and practice, I would like to buy a firearm specifically for this purpose. I intend to carry IWB.

I am looking at the Shield and Ruger SR 9. Both seem to fit the bill well.

Thank you for any advice or input you can give me.

Dan

P.S. It may be redundant, but I am posting this thread in the Ruger sub-forum, as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Which one feels better to you? In my mind, neither has a good trigger but that can be compensated for with practice. Both are good guns, but may I suggest looking at a Glock 26? I carry one In the waistband (iwb) in a sticky holster and it is very comfortable and concealable. if you need a full grip Pearce makes grip extensions

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will look at the Glock 26, as well.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have the shield in 40. Love this gun. The M&P line is an incredible one. One thing to note about trigger pull in a ccw is that it may not be a bad thing to have a longer pull. With all thst said..try shooting and handling yhe options and see which one feels the best. I love my shield though!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #5

Both the shield and ruger are good firearms. I personally like a long trigger pull on my cc weapons. Glock makes good sub compacts as well in a variety of calibers. See what fits your hand the best and which one you handle the best and go with that firearm. You can't really go wrong with either weapon as long as you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #6

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

They seem a bit different. The Shield is much closer to the LC9.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I have both a 9mm Shield and an SR9c. The Shield is about 4 oz lighter loaded with 8 rounds (24 oz) than the SR9c loaded with 11 rounds (28 oz). The Shield is 5/16" thinner and about 1/2" shorter. Same height. It is easier to conceal the shield if you dont mind giving up 3 rounds. Ergonomics are about the same. The safety on the Shield could be a little bigger. Supposedly both could be carried with the safety off. Mine is on. I put several guns side by side while looking. The one I liked the best was the Sig 938 but it was twice the price. I also felt polymer might be a better choice with the possibility of being against my skin. I did not like the long trigger on the LC9 or Kahr. My revolvers had better triggers. Might as well have a P11 Kel Tec. The XDs 9mm was heavier with less capacity felt top heavy and the grip did not feel as good. Needs an extension. Neither my Shield or the SR9c have malfunctioned. It would be possible to pocket carry the Shield but it is at the upper limit.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3154 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 682

I'm a Ruger Fan boy or so I'm told, but I do have two Older(25+ y.o.) Smith 9's. I have the full size SR9, and have handled bout the 9C & 40C. If you don't mind the extra 4 ozs. For Three Extra rounds, I'd go with the 9C.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 05-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 676

i carry a sr9c IWB. its nice easy to conceal. the gun itself is pretty nice. runs good. have not had much exprience with the shield.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 AM   #10

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I have a shield in 9mm and it is a terrific carry gun...in my cargo pants, I can even get a away with pocket carry depending on the situation. I don't have the Ruger so I can't make a good comparison, rather point out the features and benefits of the weapon I own. The Shield does not have the extra few rounds and statistically, you will only need those few rounds less than 5% of the time (or so I've read). The shield is light, thin and comfortable relatively speaking which I believe is absolutely essential...so that you carry it often! I think that is an underrated component of carry weapons...that is comfortable enough you want to carry it often.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.