Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > 1st Range trip with my M&P 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Default 1st Range trip with my M&P 40

So, I made it to the range today for the maiden voyage of my M&P 40.

I tried 5 different varieties of ammo and it ran without flaw. Of the loads tested today, all were shot offhand at 30 feet. Most were shot for function but I kept a few targets that were shot for accuracy and drills. Here are the loads tested:

The Speer, Gold Dot 180gr surprised me by stacking rounds and then I finally threw my first flier with it on my "Accuracy target". I'm still getting used to this trigger. But that is 5 rounds with two making one slightly elongated hole, and one low shot from my poor trigger control.

Hornady 165gr Zombie Max (Same as the Critical Defense loading) didn't do badly either.

The silhouettes were mostly shot as controlled pairs, or as fast asI could get back on target. All rounds seemed fairly well regulated with regard to point of aim being close to point of impact.

Overall impressions are very favorable. The sights are easy to distinguish, and were on target out of the box. It digested 240 rounds of mixed ammo, from 165gr FMJ and HP, to 180gr FMJ and HP ammo. I still have to find some 135 and 155 ammo to try out. For all of the reports of .40 S&W being a snappy round, the M&P seems to be very comfortable and controllable. The interchangeable back straps, low bore axis and polymer frame construction go a long way in making this a very comfortable gun to shoot. There were three other shooters at the range who varied from quite experience in IDPA, and IPSC shooting to a military member with a variety of guns including a Beretta PX4 at the time, to a novice shooting his first gun (a Ruger LCR). I let them each run a 10 rounds and they also found it very comfortable to shoot and their only complaint was with the trigger, but they all made decent hits despite the trigger complaints.

So, All-in all I'm pretty happy with the purchase and the first outing with the M&P. The trigger will either take some getting used to or a replacement. I'll hang on to it and work with it for a while before deciding.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

From what my friend and I have experienced, the trigger doesn't get better with time we both plan on putting the apex trigger in our guns. Glad you like it though! Congrats

Franklin

Old 04-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5211

I like picture #1. ... good archival photo...

Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I like picture #1. ... good archival photo...
I got in the habit of taking pics of my guns when I buy them and getting good close up shots of their serial numbers as well, after moving many times with the military. If there is ever a disaster, a theft, or what have you I should have a good digital inventory of my collection.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Doc,

Good shooting! Looks like you have a keeper there with your new M&P 40.
And it is certainly a good thing to take pictures of all of your guns and record the serial numbers. And store both in a secure location. I do that with all my weapons should something ever happen!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
From what my friend and I have experienced, the trigger doesn't get better with time we both plan on putting the apex trigger in our guns. Glad you like it though! Congrats

Franklin
I didn't figure the trigger would get much better. But figure I may improve in using it.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I've read reports on triggers getting better after 1k rounds or so through M&Ps. My wife's is nicer than mine. Hers also has a lot more rounds through it, given that it was ending its tenure as a rental gun when we bought it.

Still, the Apex trigger kit is a thought I keep having for my 9c. Mostly due to the reset.

Regardless, I love both our M&Ps. Glad you enjoy yours. And nice shootin!

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

The biggest thing I hate about the trigger is the feel of the safety device. I hate how it pulls back a little before it starts moving the actual trigger. And it really just feels cheap, mine kinda rattles a little bit.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2843 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 582

That's what I did not like on the M&P, the Stock Trigger. I know a 30Yr. PD veteran who swears by it though...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1652 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I guess I am the exception as the M&P I have is by far the best trigger of ANY striker fired handgun I have ever used and I have shot MANY different Glocks and most of the other 'plastic' guns.

PS: Good shooting and thanks for the review!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-09-2014 at 02:40 PM.