Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Canada > Soldiers are still dying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default Soldiers are still dying

OTTAWA — The federal government was pushed Wednesday to do more to help soldiers struggling with mental illness following news a fourth Canadian soldier died in an apparent suicide.

Master Cpl. Sylvain Lelievre, 46, was found dead Monday in the basement of his home near the Canadian Forces base in Valcartier, Que.

Three Canadian Forces members died in suspected suicides last week.

A member of the Royal 22e Regiment at CFB Valcartier, Lelievre joined the army in 1985 and was deployed three times, twice to Bosnia and once to Kandahar in Afghanistan.......

It's real sad to think that they made it through the 2-way firing ranges and then crumpled at home.

Four in one week? That is intolerable. This needs to be fixed asap.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/12/20131204-105257.html

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I'm not at all sure what to think about soldier suicide. Maybe it's gone on forever, but I've never heard about it until just the last few years. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way they were raised. It is a total tragedy though but I'm not sure the government of any country has the ability to fix anything like that.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #3

Maybe not entirely, rocshaman, but I am very annoyed that we can pizz away billions in this country on liberal stupidity like gun registration and $750k a pop for a series of sex change operations for a perv while these veterans don't get full access to a shrink and a place where they can meet and talk and whatever else might relieve the nightmares.

Some would die anyway, I know that. I just don't see much *&*@!** effort.

sparky80 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
I'm not at all sure what to think about soldier suicide. Maybe it's gone on forever, but I've never heard about it until just the last few years. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way they were raised. It is a total tragedy though but I'm not sure the government of any country has the ability to fix anything like that.
I would imagine soldier suicide has been happening forever. It probably just wasn't put in the news until recently.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #5

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

The military down here has been tracking increased suicides for the last decade. Last year was pretty bad. The year before that was worse. This year hasn't been as bad as last year.

Each year though, November through the beginning of February is the worst period in and out of the military. Seems the holiday season magnifies emotions for many people. And in the Pacific Northwest people often also feel the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder due to gloomy weather and reduced daylight hours. Lots of factors have an effect on people this time of year, and our military folks are just a sub-group of society who would be just like everyone else. Then add stress of deployments, time away from family, returning home having been changed by things they've experienced, trying to readjust to home life. Some come home to find their expected home life has changed and they are no longer welcomed in their previous relationships.

It sucks. It is complex, and it often waxes and wanes for no explainable reason.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5989

Suicides been way up in the US Armed forces over the last 10 years. There have been studies but I doubt we need them to tell us why this is the case. Its clear that endless and countless deployments and redeployments into war zones have taken a huge toll on those subjected to them. Additionally, the military is now dumping as many as they can as our missions disappear and a retrograde plan for cutting spending means they are no longer needed. "OK Men, you did a great job killing for the US, now go out there and get a job"...

The things they have seen and experienced are different than most prior wars mostly due to the IED's, I cant imagine trying to erase the vision of your buddies losing his lower body extremities because they walked 2 steps too far and those that took those 2 steps too far cant escape the terror it wreaked on their bodies and minds ever.

Weve already forgotten about the first 2 wars in Iraq and preparing to call Bygones in Afghanistan, our memories are short because we only experienced it on the Television, like a movie, it ends when the footage stops running. Their memories are long and terror provoking and probably wont ease just because a POTUS tells them go home and rejoin your lives, like war never even happened.

Its not bad enough weve required so many of our youngest adult citizens to live much of their adult lives in war zones, our president has offered them up to other nations like Libya, Syria an Egypt as defensive walls before they can even complete the missions they were engaged in. Sustained war over decades with no end in sight is terminally destructive to the psyche of those we task with keeping them going that we should not wonder why they would choose to end their lives, just do what we can to end the damn wars and get the phuck out.

They keep saying "not one more", they are always wrong, because the boxes just keep coming home full...

Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1353 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I don't think warfare in Afghanistan is any more traumatic than any other war. IEDs, UEDs, BTs, AP and AT mines have been around a long time. I think rather that multiple deployments are a major contributor to mental strain. You can even get to a point where you like being in a combat environment and feel isolated, unfulfilled and depressed when you are at home. Civilians have a very hard time understanding that last statement, but it's true.

Keep in mind also that military suicides get media coverage and civilian suicides generally do not. I don't know what the suicide statistics are in Canada, but I've seen studies done here in the States that show that military suicide rates are comparable and often lower proportionately than civilian suicides.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 12-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Lots of suicides are caused by the bureaucracy of the VA. By the time a disabled veteran gets his claim settled he has lost all of his material possessions and his family by the time the VA gets around to sending the man a check. A personal friend of mine was paralyzed in Iraq. It took over 3 years for him to get 100% DAV status. How the hell is someone who is paralyzed from the neck down be considered as 60% disabled? 60% was his initial ruling by the VA.

A horse fell on me breaking my neck and back. Even though I had a business that was bringing in some income I was really depressed during the period of therapy. If I had gone anywhere besides the VA for my therapy I would not have made it. The therapy was painful. But when I saw people that had become my brothers going through worse I could not fall out. How could I let these men down by quitting? Today no one can tell I suffered a spinal cord injury. I walk normally and I still ride horses.

Fighting the battle of regaining my health was bad enough. How are our disabled veterans supposed to fight battles that are harder not knowing if they are going to have anything left, even if they make a complete recovery?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-05-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Canada has ignored the issue and covered up the data. There are promises of studies and surveys but if they have been completed, they are not well known.

I don't think it's much better in the U.S. I can find one recent study that finds a 350% increase in suicide rates among U.S. female veterans. What does it mean? What is being done? Who knows.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2010/12/07/suicides-amongst-female-war-veterans/

It just really, really riles me up to think that our dummass government has lots of money and lots of attention for dummass liberal causes but precious little for veterans. I know this was no better, or worse, for our WWII and Korean veterans....so what? Have we learned nothing?

It seems to me there's not much effort being made and that's a crying shame.

Last edited by Rocky7; 12-05-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
This is my dilemma...It seems really similar to the bullying problem in the States. We know bullying has been going on forever, but it's just now, in the past few years, that people have began to kill themselves over it and the media is talking about it.