Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Canada > RCMP prohibit more guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 364 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
We are actually retreating from where we were and are not similar to the UK at all, really. We never got that bizarre
Do you think so.
You need a licence like the UK the same as Canada. You need a training course for firearms in Canada. In the UK you doint. You have background checks like the UK. You have magazine restrictions , there are no mag restrictions in the UK. Firearms have to be stored in a safe like the UK.
Quote:
Restricted firearms must be unloaded and either:
Made inoperable with a secure locking device (such as a trigger lock) and securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into; or
Locked in a vault, safe or room that was built or adapted for storing these types of firearms
For automatic firearms, the bolt(s) or bolt-carrier(s) must be removed, if removable, and stored in a separate locked room that cannot be easily broken into
Quote:
Magazine capacity[20]

Common AR-15 30 round magazines that have been pinned to 5 rounds.
Some magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, under the Criminal Code, the maximum magazine capacity is:
5 rounds for most magazines designed for rifles that shoot centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic fashion
10 rounds for most handgun magazines
Quote:
1.Safety training: To be eligible to receive a PAL, all applicants must successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course[13] (CFSC) for a non-restricted licence, and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course[14] (CRFSC) for a restricted licence; the non-restricted class is a prerequisite to the restricted licence. The RCMP publishes information on the locations and availability of these courses
They look similar to me.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #22

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Yes, we do have irrational gun laws on the books. But....

Where did your Olympic pistol shooters have to go to train?.....out of the country.

You have some airguns banned. Semi-auto rifles are banned. Etc.

Like I said....our laws are intolerable but yours are from Bizarro World. I'll give you one thing, though - you allow suppressors. The makes a lot of sense.

Stay tuned. Further sensible changes in Canadian gun control laws seem imminent.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 03-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #23

Quote:
We never banned handguns....for openers.
Its not that black and white. Black powder handguns can be owned in all of the UK, and handguns for humane dispatch. In this part of the UK any handgun can be owned, no training required or mag restrictions. They didn't ban handguns they banned firearms under certain length, that included most handguns. If they are over a certain length they are allowed, they would not be for me but some people like them.
images0ar2vt2p.jpg  

Last edited by manta; 03-22-2014 at 08:52 PM.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #24

So, if you can own a handgun that is 2 ft. long, you'd say you have not banned pistols?

Look, if you think it is useful to look to Canada, then take away the fact that we at long last just trashed our long gun registry. And it ain't over yet....

You can also take away the fact that hard work, clarity and determination was required to back us up a tad and dithering won't git 'er done.

Last edited by Rocky7; 03-23-2014 at 12:57 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 AM   #25

Quote:
So, if you can own a handgun that is 2 ft. long, you'd say you have not banned pistols?
I was explaining that the law did not say it was banning handguns, it banned firearms under a certain length. Which had the same effect. I also said the longer handguns are not for me , but if people enjoy shooting them I am not going to criticise them. And it doesn't affect me as there are no restrictions on the handguns I can own apart from fully automatic.

Quote:
Where did your Olympic pistol shooters have to go to train
Some trained in this part of the UK. I don't know of any air guns being banned, you need a licence if they are over 12 ft lbs muzzle energy. As for semi auto rifles .22 semi auto rifles are legal no mag restriction. Full bore semi auto are banned. But you can still buy M4-s and AK/ 47-S single shot.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not to be picky, but the firearms laws do not state that firearms must be stored in a safe - there are options.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
And it doesn't affect me as there are no restrictions on the handguns I can own apart from fully automatic.
And that is why your gun laws are so draconian. Too many of you said "This doesn't affect me."

You should read these articles:

http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/12018/it-will-never-happen-here/

http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/11688/london-burning/

Keep dithering and splitting hairs and ignoring what does not affect you personally and you will inherit the whirlwind.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #28

Quote:
And that is why your gun laws are so draconian. Too many of you said "This doesn't affect me."

You should read these articles:
No that's just pointing out a fact. The reason they are so draconian is because most citizens in the UK have no interest in firearms, so the government can push trough laws without any fear of losing votes.

Quote:

Not to be picky, but the firearms laws do not state that firearms must be stored in a safe - there are options.
Quote:
Storage

Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded and either:
Made inoperable with a secure locking device (such as a trigger lock); or
Have bolts or bolt-carriers removed; or
Securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into
Except if: (1) in areas where it is legal to fire a gun, non-restricted firearms needed for predator control can temporarily be left unlocked and operable, but they must be kept unloaded and all ammunition must be stored separately, and (2) in wilderness areas, non-restricted firearms can be left unlocked and/or operable, but must be left unloaded (ammunition may be kept nearby).
As I said the firearms laws in the UK are not much more draconian than the laws in Canada.

The article in the link is rubbish, the police Army and people in N Ireland( UK )have being carrying firearms for years and it has not stopped the some of the worst violence and rioting in Europe. If you think because some people are armed it will stop people rioting you are kidding yourself. PS Self defence would not seen as a good reason for owning a firearm in Canada that's why handguns can not be owned or carried for self defence.

Last edited by manta; 03-23-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #29
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5653 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 6015

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
No that's just pointing out a fact. The reason they are so draconian is because most citizens in the UK have no interest in firearms, so the government can push trough laws without any fear of losing votes.

As I said the firearms laws in the UK are not much more draconian than the laws in Canada.

The article in the link is rubbish, the police Army and people in N Ireland( UK )have being carrying firearms for years and it has not stopped the some of the worst violence and rioting in Europe. If you think because some people are armed it will stop people rioting you are kidding yourself. PS Self defence would not seen as a good reason for owning a firearm in Canada that's why handguns can not be owned or carried for self defence.
"most citizens in the UK have no interest in firearms," No interest probably means unless your in the military, you also have no access to weapons nor do you know how to use them.

I like the Kentucky Long Pistol idea but CCW might be a bit tough with that.

When was the last time England had to actually save their own arses from an invader? I know the answer, not in the last couple centuries! They learned to let others worry more about their futures than themselves. UKers have no interest until someone wants what they have then what will you do? I know the answer to that also, Call the Former slave colony now known as the USA and ask for reinforcements.

Heres what Ive noticed- The last nation to attack the USA prior to England was Japan, that didnt turn out so well for them, their plan Bombed!!!! We spanked their asses like a couple hundreds years before we did to the Crown! The USA has no foreign military presence in our country but we are present in many nations like the UK as a deterrent to Hitlers, Hito's, Stallins and others that want to do what Jolly old England did to Scotland and America!

Our proximity to foreign invaders other than South Americans is certainly a deterrent but I would have to say that the fact so many Americans "DO HAVE AN INTEREST IN FIREARMS" is even a bigger factor! We have more firearms and bullets in our county than many small nations have including their armed forces. 8 out of 10 homes on my road are armed and ready to respond to a Coyote, thug or invader of any kind. Add to that, all of our LEO's even Game Wardens are packing heat not tiny baseball bats. Thats like playing a game of Russian roulette with an AR15, no chance of avoiding a round or two through the gourd!

I live in the most forearm restrictive state in the union (as of a little over a year ago). We have just begun to rally against the restrictions and were already gaining ground. Were not hoping to just eliminate the new laws, were going after some of the old ones as well. Just as a reminder of what we will accept as law, heres the one real Americans believe in-----

2nd Amendment- A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I know its pretty simple, we like it that way, everyone here cant afford an Oxford Education to read the ;laws they must follow so The KISS System works for most of us in the US. Let me remind you of what happens to a nation that doesnt care about firearms, they get occupied for life by nations that do!

RAF Alconbury, Cambridgeshire
RAF Croughton, Northamptonshire
RAF Lakenheath, Brandon, Suffolk [2]
RAF Menwith Hill, Yorkshire Dales
RAF Mildenhall, Mildenhall [3]

Just saying...
Old 03-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #30

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

its sounds to me like the RCMP is turning into a legitimate target for violent resistance.....

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix