"Looting" by RCMP In High River
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Canada > "Looting" by RCMP In High River

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default "Looting" by RCMP In High River

from Calgary Herald:

HIGH RIVER — RCMP revealed Thursday that officers have seized a “substantial amount” of firearms from homes in the evacuated town of High River.

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,” said Sgt. Brian Topham.

“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms ... so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”

That news didn’t sit well with a crowd of frustrated residents who had planned to breach a police checkpoint northwest of the town as an evacuation order stretched into its eighth day.

“I find that absolutely incredible that they have the right to go into a person’s belongings out of their home,” said resident Brenda Lackey, after learning Mounties have been taking residents’ guns. “When people find out about this there’s going to be untold hell to pay.”

About 30 RCMP officers set up a blockade at the checkpoint, preventing 50 residents from walking into the town. Dozens more police cars, lights on, could be seen lining streets in the town on standby.

Officers laid down a spike belt to stop anyone from attempting to drive past the blockade. That action sent the crowd of residents into a rage.

“What’s next? Tear gas?” shouted one resident.

“It’s just like Nazi Germany, just taking orders,” shouted another.

“This is the reason the U.S. has the right to bear arms,” said Charles Timpano, pointing to the group of Mounties.
Officers were ordered to fall back about an hour into the standoff in order to diffuse the situation ........

Police are no longer forcing themselves into homes and the residences that were forced open will be secured, he said.

Topham said the confiscated firearms have been inventoried and are secured at an RCMP detachment. He was not at liberty to say how many firearms had been confiscated.

“We have seized a large quantity of firearms simply because they were left by residents in their places,” said Topham.

The guns will be returned to owners after residents are allowed back in town and they provide proof of ownership, Topham added.

-------------------------------

As proud as I am of the people in Calgary who rallied to help each other, I am profoundly disgusted by this action by our national paramilitary police.

We should now understand why aircraft have not been allowed over High River...they didn't want anybody watching. Un....friggin'......believable. Those who were supposed to protect.....turn out to be pond scum.

This is a sad day for High River, a sad day for Alberta and, if this is tolerated, a sad comment on who we are and what we have become.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 06-28-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #2

Liked 2745 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2645

Hell that's nothing, our government killed nearly 100 people in Waco over a 200 dollar tax. They killed a 14 year old boy and his mother over a lousy eighth of an inch on a shotgun barrel. The police in Louisiana confiscated guns from people who were at home. The IRS is harassing patriots. The president is inviting muslim terrorists into the white house while keeping citizens out.........................the list goes on and on. Funny how everybody keeps saying, "when shtf". It already has hit the fan and we've done nothing because we all want to be tolerant and pc.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

I believe these attitudes and bad behaviour are both the result of bloated government and statist policies.

Something has got to change. Soon.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My big concern for the owners will be when they try to "reclaim" their guns. Since the police are saying they took "unsafely stored" guns I wonder if they'll be charging the evacuees with unsafe storage.

Also, how does one "prove" their ownership? With no registry (thank god) there's no record of who owned what; unless people have memorized their serial numbers or have photos of their guns... or the police made a record of which households they took things from - in a disaster situation I'm sure their records are impeccable...

All in all, I get their "reasoning" on trying to stop looters from getting guns, but their method is all wrong.

Citizens better not be charged with crimes for this, and they better get their property back.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #5

This crap has been deeply upsetting and maddening. I had a hard time sleeping last night.

Ezra gets it, thank God. There are so many grown-ups who want nothing more these days than to be looked after. They happily wear chains in return for bread and circuses. The MSM is infested with liberal bottom feeders. I don't know what the answer is, but this is just not good enough. Not nearly good enough.

Here's Ezra's take. Thank gawd for him and the few like him:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/liberty-under-siege/2516148516001

Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #6

I'm just told by local CPC nabob that Harper has instructed the RCMP to give the guns back R...F....Now!

Hope so.

Then I want to see heads roll.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #7

Good to see local media dumping on the RCMP:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/editorials/Editorial+RCMP+breached+trust+seizing+firearms+fro m/8594935/story.html

There's even been some outrage from other provinces.

These are the unintended consequences of bloated government and unnecessary (gun) laws....tyranny.

What we really need is for some of the gestapo to go to prison. Maybe not for hard time, say 6 months for B&E and/or Unlawful Entry and Theft. I'd even settle for 6 months in prison for the cops who ordered this and 30 days for each of the obedient nazis. I've thought it over and I think I'm being fair and reasonable, considering what was done and what is at stake.

Last edited by Rocky7; 06-30-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

There are a LOT of people up here who are steaming mad.

In this increasingly dangerous world, it’s nice to know Canadians can rest secure in the knowledge that RCMP officers are out there, patrolling our streets, ready on a moment’s notice to break into our homes and steal our property.

In fact, the RCMP recently performed a little break and entry action in High River, Alberta, a town which had been evacuated due to massive flooding.

It seems some of the town’s gun owners had left their firearms in what police call “unsecure locations,” such as inside their securely locked homes.

Now you might ask, what’s so bad about that? The town is evacuated; the guns are out of sight, behind locked doors. Shouldn’t be a problem, right?

Ha, only a “gun nut” would say that!

As any rational and reasonable person knows that leaving guns in an empty locked house, situated in an empty town, is an invitation to anarchy!

Imagine, for instance, if militant household pests, like termites or carpenter ants, decided to arm themselves with those unguarded weapons.

http://gerrynicholls.blogspot.ca/2013/06/protecting-public-safety-one-smashed.html?m=1

Our MLA from Rocky Mountain House:

Natural disasters are unfortunately far too common. Hurricanes, typhoons, floods, fires, tornadoes and ice storms will always plague communities. How we deal with these naturally occurring environmental phenomena does more to define us as a people than most any other event. The recent flooding in several Alberta communities is no exception. In response to the flooding, communities pulled together and individuals worked together to overcome adversity. There are numerous stories of heroism, compassion and extraordinary unselfishness as people volunteered by the thousands to help.

First responders performed brilliantly! Firefighters, utility workers, and Search and Rescue units did what they trained to do, and they did it exceptionally well. In the aftermath of the flooding each of these organizations will assess their performance and make adjustments based on what they learned. There is one organization however that needs to reevaluate its motives and the role it played in response to the flood. That organization is the RCMP.

The RCMP can easily point to the exemplary conduct of any particular constable as an example of how well they responded to the disaster. My concern is not the individual constables’ performance. Although I think the constable that issued a ticket to a volunteer aid worker in High River for a cracked windshield needs to get a life. I am deeply concerned with the behavior of the organization and its activity in breaking into homes in High River to confiscate hunting rifles.

The role of the RCMP is to protect life, property, and to keep order. In this regard the RCMP failed miserably. In High River RCMP constables went door to door in the community breaking into homes with the aid of a locksmith, and in some cases they kicked in the doors. Why these constables couldn’t wait for a locksmith has not been explained, and there is no final accounting of how many doors they kicked in as of this writing. Once inside a home the RCMP conducted a room-to-room search looking for survivors or people that may have defied the evacuation order. This is the RCMP’s justification. The RCMP claims that if they observed a rifle or firearm improperly secured during the search, it was confiscated and removed from the home for safekeeping. When asked, Alison Redford justified many of the actions taken during the emergency by saying ‘Drastic times call for drastic measures!”

People have felt violated as a result of this break and entering, and they are angry. Many homes were left unsecured after the RCMP left. Many more Albertans are upset that the RCMP would have removed property without the consent of the property owner. I am more disturbed by the mere fact that the RCMP broke into the homes in the first place, and I don’t buy any of the excuses justifying the kicking in of doors.

Police and authorities are granted exceptional powers during times of emergencies. I don’t have an issue granting these extraordinary powers under emergency circumstances. I do however expect these powers to be exercised in good faith and for the purpose of protecting life and property. If the RCMP had reasonable cause to believe there was an individual inside a home - in distress, it is justifiable to execute a forced entry. The RCMP has not presented any reasonable cause, evidence or motive that justifies breaking into any homes. In fact, it would have been a more efficient use of time and resources had the RCMP only asked the residents what was remaining in their homes. Did it ever occur to the RCMP to ask a homeowner for the keys to the house if entry was really necessary?

People were evacuated. In the process of the evacuation many resident removed valuables from their basements and relocated those items to higher floors. Hunting rifles were among many of the items moved to higher floors in preparation for the emergency. After leaving their homes people locked their doors. To use the Premier’s own words, “Drastic times call for drastic measures”. It’s really not so drastic to relocate a hunting rifle inside a locked home in preparation for a flood. But if someone claims it is I won’t argue. In these drastic times the hunting rifles in High River were more secure at this time than they were in most every other community in Alberta. The rifles were located inside a locked home within a secured evacuation area, guarded by armed officers, around the clock, to prevent entry into the neighborhood. At one point during the disaster the Canadian military assisted. Talk about your drastic measures! It doesn’t get much more secure than this!

The RCMP did not need to break into homes. It is that simple! They should have interviewed the evacuees, and upon a drive by, or float by, as was the case, they only needed to compare the information collected to the observation of the premises. If upon inspection there was no visible forced entry, or signs that someone was still inside the home there was no reason to approach the house - never mind search it. I do not buy any excuse that the RCMP needed to gain entry to shut off the utilities. BUNK! Utility companies have the ability to turn off utilities from outside the home. Even if this was strictly a utility issue why didn’t someone ask the homeowner for the keys? Since when does shutting off utilities warrant a room-to-room search?

The federal government has come out publically and stated it didn’t authorize the house-to-house search or the seizure of private property. Redford’s government now claims it did not grant authorization to confiscate private property. Who did then? The RCMP is a federal organization, but they report and answer to the provincial government. Harper’s government has made it unquestionably clear, the RCMP reports to the provincial government. In other words, the provincial government is the authority overseeing the RCMP in Alberta. If the RCMP were not acting under provincial authority in this matter, whom were they reporting to? This is a serious question. No police force in a democratic society should be independent from political oversight.

In the aftermath of the flood of 2013, we need a full and complete independent public inquiry into this disaster with particular scrutiny of the tactics and behaviour of the RCMP. The RCMP and this government need to justify the breaking and entering into homes, and the seizure of private property. There needs to be accountability! The Redford government needs to convene a full and independent inquiry without limitations or reservations.

Joe Anglin
MLA, Rocky Mountain House/Rimbey

Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Spooky! You guys might want to store pics of your firearms online; I keep mine in a private folder on photobucket.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #10

I have not heard that suggestion before. Sadly, it makes sense to me now....particularly with my custom rifles.

I find this situation intolerable. I have family that fought in wars and they did not fight for this bloated police state crap. I will continue to write letters to those who claim to represent me and continue to speak wherever I can on the internet and among acquaintances. I will do everything I can to change this before I hand things over to my own children. I will continue to donate to organizations that stand for my ideals. This is not right. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited by Rocky7; 07-02-2013 at 01:18 AM.