Long-Gun Registry is gone. Now What? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Canada > Long-Gun Registry is gone. Now What?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, what is the best way to clean maple syrup off your shotgun?
congrats on the regulation loosening.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I'm a little curious since I always thought that if someone broke into your house that you had the right to defend yourself with a firearm?
You are allowed to defend yourself, including using deadly force, and including using legal firearms if you have the ability to use them.
(KEEP READING)

BUT - you can only use the MINIMUM amount of force necessary to protect yourself, and you are held accountable to PROVE that the force that you used was necessary, and that you took all possible action to avoid using it.

If you cannot prove that you did all you could to avoid force, or that you used the absolute minimum force required to stop the threat then you will likely be tried with a host of crimes: assault, manslaughter, murder, vigilantism PLUS a bunch of small things like: improper storage of a firearm, unsafe use of a firearm etc...

Since your guns must be stored locked up and unloaded... it would take planning or some real desire to get to them and be able to use them instead of calling 911... the cops usually think that you tried to go for force before going for help.

Moral of the story, you are legally allowed to defend yourself, with guns and with deadly force. But you have got to cover yourself- becuase the law actually can side with the criminals.

Make sure you store your guns safely, attempt to call 911, give the attacker verbal warning, other warning, non-lethal force, THEN use lethal force if required. And you had better be able to get your story right that it was necessary.

NEVER SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK! Police love that because it shows that the perp tried to get away (ie threat was stopped) and then you still attacked.

Sorry for the long post, but it's better to say it once than for someone to make a bad mistake if they find themselves in a bad situation.

No point saving your life only to spend the rest of it in jail.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #13

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
So, what is the best way to clean maple syrup off your shotgun?
congrats on the regulation loosening.
I just pass it tithe dog and let him lick it off.....or I do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth
You are allowed to defend yourself, including using deadly force, and including using legal firearms if you have the ability to use them.
(KEEP READING)

BUT - you can only use the MINIMUM amount of force necessary to protect yourself, and you are held accountable to PROVE that the force that you used was necessary, and that you took all possible action to avoid using it.

If you cannot prove that you did all you could to avoid force, or that you used the absolute minimum force required to stop the threat then you will likely be tried with a host of crimes: assault, manslaughter, murder, vigilantism PLUS a bunch of small things like: improper storage of a firearm, unsafe use of a firearm etc...

Since your guns must be stored locked up and unloaded... it would take planning or some real desire to get to them and be able to use them instead of calling 911... the cops usually think that you tried to go for force before going for help.

Moral of the story, you are legally allowed to defend yourself, with guns and with deadly force. But you have got to cover yourself- becuase the law actually can side with the criminals.

Make sure you store your guns safely, attempt to call 911, give the attacker verbal warning, other warning, non-lethal force, THEN use lethal force if required. And you had better be able to get your story right that it was necessary.

NEVER SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK! Police love that because it shows that the perp tried to get away (ie threat was stopped) and then you still attacked.

Sorry for the long post, but it's better to say it once than for someone to make a bad mistake if they find themselves in a bad situation.

No point saving your life only to spend the rest of it in jail.

That's all good advice. I was actually thinking of .45 shot shells as a non/less then lethal ditterant. But I'm not really sure how that would play it since like you've stated, that's about the same as planning to use if for said purpose.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth
Well, the Stephen Harper Conservatives have delivered on their campaign promise to abolish the long-gun registry, and to destroy the data. After a parliamentary vote of 159-130, the bill was passed through the House, and is going to the Senate on Feb 27, 2012 for final approval - where it is expected to pass.

So now that that is behind us, what's next for the pro-gun movement in Canada?

A total dismantling of Bill C-68?
The takedown of the hangun registry?
Eliminating licensing?

I for one would happy to get rid of magazine restrictions.

What do you guys think? Are you happy with current legislation, or what do you want changed?
Me personally I would of kept the long gun registry. The only thing I would change would be the mag restriction. Because I would like the police to know wat I have for safety/ personal reasoning

Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #15

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhero

Me personally I would of kept the long gun registry. The only thing I would change would be the mag restriction. Because I would like the police to know wat I have for safety/ personal reasoning
Please, explain your personal reasoning. I'm very curious.

I'd also like to know how the police or government knowing what's in your house provides any safety to anyone. I can only think of one scenario and it's remote on the extreme.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #16

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You would like what?

Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #17

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhero

What did you put in your coffee?

Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock

What did you put in your coffee?
THIS of why I keep the cocaine far away from the sugar and creamer.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #19

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

It's hard to tell the diffrence at 7 a.m I get it

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhero View Post
Right. Because the benevolent & efficient government apparatchiks know whats best for you and everyone. They will ensure social harmony by making sure that you & your scary toys are carefully monitored.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman