Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Canada > Long-Gun Registry is gone. Now What?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Long-Gun Registry is gone. Now What?

Well, the Stephen Harper Conservatives have delivered on their campaign promise to abolish the long-gun registry, and to destroy the data. After a parliamentary vote of 159-130, the bill was passed through the House, and is going to the Senate on Feb 27, 2012 for final approval - where it is expected to pass.

So now that that is behind us, what's next for the pro-gun movement in Canada?

A total dismantling of Bill C-68?
The takedown of the hangun registry?
Eliminating licensing?

I for one would happy to get rid of magazine restrictions.

What do you guys think? Are you happy with current legislation, or what do you want changed?

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

KG7IL Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Civilization has made full circle, from the need for guns to establish control and freedom; to the fear of guns due to excessive control; back to the need for guns to eliminate excessive control and to maintain freedom.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #3

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm pretty glad this is finally taken care of too.
It makes selling/buying guns to/from friends so much more easier, even though I've yet to do such yet any ways since I'm still new in the game. Haha

I do think that it would be great to have the hand gun registry taken down. I've often thought about buying one since I've always wanted a GLOCK 17, but all the rules that come with it make it seem like less fun to own.

As for the magazine restriction, that really should never of been implemented. As many have stated, it does nothing except for give the criminals the advantage over the law abiding people. I know there's not many cases where a civilian has to use a rifle for self defense, but if for some reason there's another shooting spree like the one that took place in Montreal a while back, it does give us the disadvantage.

Those are just my thoughts though. I'm still on the younger side of things (18) so I may not be seeing the full picture.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Don't let the age thing hold you back - sometimes you have clearer vision of things without all the politics. I agree with the mag restrictions, I actually don't mind licensing - maybe registration, the problem is the extra restrictions on transport, and the risk of confiscation. Ultimately i wouldn't mind the controls if they recognized our right to own things. Failing that I have to oppose the restrictions of any variety.

But yeah, the mag restrictions ahve to go, and they have to stop banning things!

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #5

That's true, I'm thinking it's partially why I haven't gotten to into politics. I kind of enjoy being able to "freely" think with out all the clouding going on.

But I'm with you. I don't really mind the fact that we have to get an FAC in order to get a firearm of any kind, hell I actually think its a good idea to be dead honest. But like you've said, it's mainly all the extras that come with it, such as having to get more paper work done just to go out to the range and have some fun with your "toys." If that wasn't in place, it would be one less reason stoping me from getting a Hand gun/AR.

I also very strongly agree with you, something just shouldn't be banned. I'm still trying to figure out why the semi-auto version of the AK is banned en though we can own the CZ version of it?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #6

The only thing we can hope for is that Harper keeps on the gun topic and pushes to remove more laws as the next election come up. I doubt the liberals or the ndp will support freedom. So hopefully if we make a big enough deal out of it, the conservatives will continue to dimantle bill-c-68, and all that other useless garbage.

I'm all for public safety, but these gun laws don't help anyone. Really, we all know that. The best gun control is responsible owners.

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #7

If they do have plans to help out gun lovers in Canada, I can already tell you who has my vote in the next election. It doesn't have to be a "big" law either. Could be as simple as having a certain semi-auto rifle reclassified or giving us up to 10-rounds for a centerfire rifle.

But I do agree with you fully. No self respecting (ha!!) crook is going to follow any laws retaining to firearms at all.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #8

I'd like to see more freedom to move around with our restricted weapons. More rights to defend our homes and ourselves. Concealed carry would be great but I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

"Nina Myers: You're lying.
Jack Bauer: Yes, I am. But you're still going to have to trust me." ("Day 1: 12:00am-1:00am")

Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallows
I'd like to see more freedom to move around with our restricted weapons. More rights to defend our homes and ourselves. Concealed carry would be great but I don't see that happening in my lifetime.
I'm with you there. I think having to fill paper work out or call in everytime you want to take your handgun/AR out is a little crazy. I'm a little curious since I always thought that if someone broke into your house that you had the right to defend yourself with a firearm?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Yes and no. You have the right to defend yourself but the crown would likely sooner try you for using it v.s. the guy who broke into your house.

"Nina Myers: You're lying.
Jack Bauer: Yes, I am. But you're still going to have to trust me." ("Day 1: 12:00am-1:00am")