Any "tacti-cool" non-restricteds?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Canada > Any "tacti-cool" non-restricteds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I've been all over the web trying to find an AR looking or other "tacti cool" .22 since summer is coming up and I'm in need of a new rifle. Just curious as to if any of you fellow Canadians know of any?

I've seen the one by Mossberg but I'm not a fan of the gun it's built around. It was accurate and what not, but I absolutely hated how it came apart for cleaning and such.

I know someone is going to say "grab a 10/22 and have at it", but I'm trying to steer away from them since literally everyone seems to have one. I've also been told that they require some extra work to get them shooting real well.

So with those two out of the way, does anyone have some sort of suggestion? It doesn't HAVE to be a .22, but I'd prefer to be since I like to shoot a lot when ever I get the chance to do so. A tactical type .223 would be just as cool since that's on the cheaper side of things to shoot as well.

Last edited by kaido; 04-14-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 104

S&W m&p 15-22
Hk416
Gsg522
Kel tec su-22 or plr-22

There's a few for starters. Different price points and different styles

Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Look at a sig 522, not that widely known but I think it's cooler than your average AR

Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

From what I've gathered, just about every firearm mentioned, excluding the SU-22, would get me in some serious trouble If i was found out side of a firing range with any of them. As much as I would love to have it, the Sig 522 would get me in the most amount of trouble since its deemed "prohibited".

Thanks for trying though guys, just that our laws up here (in Canada) really suck when it come to what can and can't be owned, as well as what can and can't be used outside of a firing range.

To summarize the biggest issue the gun can't be: related to the AR/M16 family, have a barrel less then (I believe) 16", the overall length of the gun cannot be collapsed down more then (I forget)mm and still be able to fire. So basically anything needing an AR lower is out of the question. It's what makes getting a tactical long gun up this way so stupid.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Almost every AR is going to be restricted up here, except ironically for a few Chinese made knockoff but I frankly don't recommend them.

CZ 858 is a pretty affordable non-restricted assault-style gun. It's 7.62x39, but it's a good deal. Beretta Storm in 9mm or 45acp is also ok, but it is restricted I think.

The Swiss Arms Black or Green Special is non-restricted and .223, but it's pretty pricey - although very cool looking.

SR-22 is a modded up 10/22 but it looks good.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #6

Oh even the .22 AR's are restricted usually too. It has nothing to do with safety, just the fact that the gun looks "scary".

Just because it's not a full-power version doesn't necessarily mean it's less restricted.

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth
Almost every AR is going to be restricted up here, except ironically for a few Chinese made knockoff but I frankly don't recommend them.

CZ 858 is a pretty affordable non-restricted assault-style gun. It's 7.62x39, but it's a good deal. Beretta Storm in 9mm or 45acp is also ok, but it is restricted I think.

The Swiss Arms Black or Green Special is non-restricted and .223, but it's pretty pricey - although very cool looking.

SR-22 is a modded up 10/22 but it looks good.
That's the thing that kills me right now. Everything you've listed I would love to own, but the prices are just to high for me to really justify for the time being. After shooting a C7A1 on basic, I'm seriously thinking I might just suck it up and buy an AR platform and do it up with an Elcan optic and some green furniture so I can use that and do all the drill we got taught with it.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Well you could do a lot worse than as AR except for it being restricted. I think that the AR 180B or something is unrestricted but it's plastic and probably expensive too.

If you do want an AR ask your shop if they have any AR VTR R15's. Their about $1.1K, obviously they (legally) accept the 10rd mags if you're so inclined. You mentioned the green hardware, well these things come in camo pattern off the shelf.

Honestly if they were unrestricted i'd get one.

Robinson Arms also ahs the XCR and XCR-M, and there are M1A1's. Norinco sells an M305 clone for about $450. For a "cool" gun that's probably as cheap as you'll get. I myself don't want to buy Chinese guns, but you're budget dictates your desires.

Let me know what you think of getting. I totally recommend the CZ-858. $700, (less on sale) and it comes with 4 mags, bayonet, sling pouches and whatnot. It's a good deal for a starter rifle.

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth
Well you could do a lot worse than as AR except for it being restricted. I think that the AR 180B or something is unrestricted but it's plastic and probably expensive too.

If you do want an AR ask your shop if they have any AR VTR R15's. Their about $1.1K, obviously they (legally) accept the 10rd mags if you're so inclined. You mentioned the green hardware, well these things come in camo pattern off the shelf.

Honestly if they were unrestricted i'd get one.

Robinson Arms also ahs the XCR and XCR-M, and there are M1A1's. Norinco sells an M305 clone for about $450. For a "cool" gun that's probably as cheap as you'll get. I myself don't want to buy Chinese guns, but you're budget dictates your desires.

Let me know what you think of getting. I totally recommend the CZ-858. $700, (less on sale) and it comes with 4 mags, bayonet, sling pouches and whatnot. It's a good deal for a starter rifle.
I actually looked into the 108B, I haven't found any for sale at all with in the country, which sucks a good bit. I was also doing some serious thinking on the R15 though, it just got knocked off my list for the shear fact that I'd want to use it to hunt coyotes and equally sized game but can't do it legally.

The Robinson Arms looks like it would be a real wicked rifle to have, but like you said, budget dictates desires. I think I might go with the M305/M1A1 at a later date. I've got a couple bills I want to get caught up on.....also want to wait until Incan pick one up locally instead of paying for the shipping and such. .