Changing handgun registration?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Wisconsin Gun Forum > Changing handgun registration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default Changing handgun registration?

Hi all,

My father just purchased for me a Beretta 92FS from a dealer, both of them are located 100 miles north of myself, all of us are located in Wisconsin. He did this for me because I cannot find the gun cheaper from where I am located.

He went through the background check and went ahead and registered the gun in his name. I will be paying him in full and picking up the gun this weekend.

My question is, is it legal for him to give me the gun (effectively this exchange is like him giving me a birthday present) and if it is legal, should/must I get the gun re-registered in my name?

FYI: I am 24 year old and can legally own a handgun.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Check local laws regarding gifting a handgun versus a straw purchase. Purchasing a gun with the intention of selling to another can be viewed as an illegal purchase...buying as a gift is legal if permitted under state and local law. If all else fails just have him ship it to a local ffl and do the 4473 in your name.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Here in Ar, I wana say the very first question is are u planing on giving this to someone else or buying it for somone else, if u answer this question yes u dont leave with the gun!! It is legal to give a gun in a inhearatence (say if your father died and passed his collection on to you) But its legal to buy a gun from another person without an ffl.(person to person no dealer no paperwork) but all u have to do here is take it to a gun store and fill the paper work out. You said you were paying for it so u just baught it from him. I would just carry it in and redo the paperwork.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Does Wisconsin require that hanfguns be registered with the state???

If not, forget about it. Take your Beretta and enjoy it.

Many states do not require registration. Why fill out paperwork if you don't have to?

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Does Wisconsin require that hanfguns be registered with the state???

If not, forget about it. Take your Beretta and enjoy it.

Many states do not require registration. Why fill out paperwork if you don't have to?
Hi Locutus,

I did some researching this afternoon and found out that they don't need to be registered in this state:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/wisconsin.aspx

However, I just wanted to make sure. I'm not going to complain about no paperwork.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is this a present? The form ask if you are getting it as a present.

45 Junkie

Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 624 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

Here in Arkansas if you are a parent purchasing a firearm for a child it is legal. It is also legal to buy a firearm for a person as a gift if they are not a child or immediate relative, but they need to fill out the 4473.

Citizens (non dealers) can sell/buy between each other all they want. There is no regulation on that.

There is no "registration" past a 4473 being kept for 20 years by the FFL. A firearms registry would cost waaayyy toooo much in both money and man hours. There are more firearms than people in the U.S., and that's just the legal ones!!

Hope I helped

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2785 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

May I suggest that you learn the handgun laws of your state?

Every state has statutes that pertain to handguns online.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

Liked 624 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
May I suggest that you learn the handgun laws of your state?

Every state has statutes that pertain to handguns online.
In Arkansas you can't sell to out of state residents, doesn't matter if your a dealer or non-dealer. If a dealer sells more than one handgun to the same person within 5 days they have to fill out a 3310.4, the multiple pistol sales paperwork.

Last edited by kryptar19; 11-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I trade guns back and forth with my boys all the time. they have bigger safes than I do. If I want a certain rifle/handgun etc, I call and tell them what I want and get it the next day. I only have room for 3 or 4 at a time. I don't see a big deal. They will inherit all my weapons anyway. Might as well start early. I still get to shoot them, as well as they. Neither of them have a record of any kind and me neither. Sometimes it's better to just keep yap shut and do whatever.