Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Wisconsin Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   Changing handgun registration? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f162/changing-handgun-registration-75396/)

verbete4 10-31-2012 04:53 PM

Changing handgun registration?

Hi all,

My father just purchased for me a Beretta 92FS from a dealer, both of them are located 100 miles north of myself, all of us are located in Wisconsin. He did this for me because I cannot find the gun cheaper from where I am located.

He went through the background check and went ahead and registered the gun in his name. I will be paying him in full and picking up the gun this weekend.

My question is, is it legal for him to give me the gun (effectively this exchange is like him giving me a birthday present) and if it is legal, should/must I get the gun re-registered in my name?

FYI: I am 24 year old and can legally own a handgun.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jpyle 10-31-2012 05:29 PM

Check local laws regarding gifting a handgun versus a straw purchase. Purchasing a gun with the intention of selling to another can be viewed as an illegal purchase...buying as a gift is legal if permitted under state and local law. If all else fails just have him ship it to a local ffl and do the 4473 in your name.

racer_x 10-31-2012 05:42 PM

Here in Ar, I wana say the very first question is are u planing on giving this to someone else or buying it for somone else, if u answer this question yes u dont leave with the gun!! It is legal to give a gun in a inhearatence (say if your father died and passed his collection on to you) But its legal to buy a gun from another person without an ffl.(person to person no dealer no paperwork) but all u have to do here is take it to a gun store and fill the paper work out. You said you were paying for it so u just baught it from him. I would just carry it in and redo the paperwork.

locutus 10-31-2012 08:49 PM

Does Wisconsin require that hanfguns be registered with the state???

If not, forget about it. Take your Beretta and enjoy it.

Many states do not require registration. Why fill out paperwork if you don't have to?

verbete4 10-31-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 997198)
Does Wisconsin require that hanfguns be registered with the state???

If not, forget about it. Take your Beretta and enjoy it.

Many states do not require registration. Why fill out paperwork if you don't have to?

Hi Locutus,

I did some researching this afternoon and found out that they don't need to be registered in this state:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/wisconsin.aspx

However, I just wanted to make sure. I'm not going to complain about no paperwork.

MarkAD 11-01-2012 04:50 AM

Is this a present? The form ask if you are getting it as a present.

kryptar19 11-01-2012 05:38 AM

Here in Arkansas if you are a parent purchasing a firearm for a child it is legal. It is also legal to buy a firearm for a person as a gift if they are not a child or immediate relative, but they need to fill out the 4473.

Citizens (non dealers) can sell/buy between each other all they want. There is no regulation on that.

There is no "registration" past a 4473 being kept for 20 years by the FFL. A firearms registry would cost waaayyy toooo much in both money and man hours. There are more firearms than people in the U.S., and that's just the legal ones!!

Hope I helped

danf_fl 11-01-2012 08:38 AM

May I suggest that you learn the handgun laws of your state?

Every state has statutes that pertain to handguns online.

kryptar19 11-01-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
May I suggest that you learn the handgun laws of your state?

Every state has statutes that pertain to handguns online.

In Arkansas you can't sell to out of state residents, doesn't matter if your a dealer or non-dealer. If a dealer sells more than one handgun to the same person within 5 days they have to fill out a 3310.4, the multiple pistol sales paperwork.

TexasRog 03-16-2014 12:53 AM

I trade guns back and forth with my boys all the time. they have bigger safes than I do. If I want a certain rifle/handgun etc, I call and tell them what I want and get it the next day. I only have room for 3 or 4 at a time. I don't see a big deal. They will inherit all my weapons anyway. Might as well start early. I still get to shoot them, as well as they. Neither of them have a record of any kind and me neither. Sometimes it's better to just keep yap shut and do whatever.