cabelas - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > West Virginia Gun Forum > cabelas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cabela's in Charleston is around 80,000 sq. ft. I will eventually make it to Wheeling, which is around 132,000 sq. ft. This has quickly become my favorite "toy store." The prices seems to run a little high, but I guess that is to be expected being the new kid on the block.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #12

Guys I work at the Cabelas in Charleston. My name is Michael ( that's what is on my name tag) and ill be behind the gun counter. Come down and say hello, is like to meet you folks.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
Cabela's in Charleston is around 80,000 sq. ft. I will eventually make it to Wheeling, which is around 132,000 sq. ft. This has quickly become my favorite "toy store." The prices seems to run a little high, but I guess that is to be expected being the new kid on the block.

Cabelas in Wheeling is 175,000 sq ft. I have been to both, and if you have been to Wheeling, the Charleston store will leave you sorely disappointed. It's very similar to a Gander Mountain, and doesn't carry much at all in the way of merchandise. Everything is jammed into the small space, and it has a snack bar instead of the restaurant.

All-in-all, pretty disappointing.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3245 Times on 1575 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

I do not know about Charleston and I wish you luck! But I sure wish they would put one in Tennessee!
I have even done a market study for the Nashville or Cookeville area and sent them a letter and information advising we sure would like to have a store in Tennessee. They were going to put one in Greenwood Indiana which is about 4 hours from us here in Tennessee, until the city fathers tried to rape the company. Had the ground leveled and set, sewers in, streets and everything ready to build on site. And then the local politicians got involved so Cabales told them to forget it!
As I stated, I hope they are putting one in your area. It is one of my favorite stores and the taxidermy animal displays areas are absolutely fantastic!!!! I especially like the display at Dundee Michigan! And the Bear and Cub Statue out front!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
Cabelas in Wheeling is 175,000 sq ft. I have been to both, and if you have been to Wheeling, the Charleston store will leave you sorely disappointed. It's very similar to a Gander Mountain, and doesn't carry much at all in the way of merchandise. Everything is jammed into the small space, and it has a snack bar instead of the restaurant.

All-in-all, pretty disappointing.

Dude... I mean no disrespect, but you are way off base when you say Cabelas is similar to Gander Mountain. My wife worked at Gander Mountain until last year, and they were going downhill since then. Gander no longer stocks ATVs, parts and accessories, boats, etc. The building used to house Lowe's before they moved across Corridor G to Trace Fork and it was 50,000square feet, whereas Cabelas is over 80,000 square feet. IMHO Gander Montain will be gone within a year. Cabelas is the best thing to happen to Charleston, and I cannot wait to visit the one in Wheeling.
Reaper61 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #16

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I totally prefer gander over cableas. I worked at gander when they expanded to Gun World. They have literally the best selection of firearms and accessories in the state.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #17

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton
I totally prefer gander over cableas. I worked at gander when they expanded to Gun World. They have literally the best selection of firearms and accessories in the state.
That's what my local Gander is doing right now. They said they will carry more firearms than Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop combined!!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I do not know about Charleston and I wish you luck! But I sure wish they would put one in Tennessee!
I have even done a market study for the Nashville or Cookeville area and sent them a letter and information advising we sure would like to have a store in Tennessee. They were going to put one in Greenwood Indiana which is about 4 hours from us here in Tennessee, until the city fathers tried to rape the company. Had the ground leveled and set, sewers in, streets and everything ready to build on site. And then the local politicians got involved so Cabales told them to forget it!
As I stated, I hope they are putting one in your area. It is one of my favorite stores and the taxidermy animal displays areas are absolutely fantastic!!!! I especially like the display at Dundee Michigan! And the Bear and Cub Statue out front!

You're in luck, not quite Tennessee but I hear they are building one @ exit 7 in Bristol, Virginia. About 2hrs from Knoxville.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #19

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00

That's what my local Gander is doing right now. They said they will carry more firearms than Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop combined!!
They aren't kidding brother. I watched gander go from 400 firearms to 6,000 firearms. All in one place. Right now they have the biggest selection of firearms in the state of West Virginia. Only their prices are outrageous.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3245 Times on 1575 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

Akers,
Towboater's information sure is exciting for you! I prefer Cabela's over all other Sporting Goods Stores. So many Goodies!
I believe we are going to get a new store in our area in the future in Louisville KY. It would only be 2.5 hours from the my home. Good day trip! Or to stop by when I am traveling! They were going to put a store in Greenwood In. and even had broke the ground ran water lines, street access and everything. Then the from what I was advised the City's politicians messing them over and Cabela's told them to shove it! Politicians once again! Can't imagine how much revenue that cost the Greenwood area!
Anyway happy and glad to see you are getting a store close to you!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy