You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Your thoughts on Heritage revolvers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4323 Times on 2452 Posts
Likes Given: 2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I own both a Heritage in .22LR\WMR and one in .357 Magnum. For what they cost, they're not bad, but they really don't measure up to the wife's Vaquero or my Single Six IMHO.

that does not mean that I think they are crap, or that they don't work well, so ,ong as you do tyour part, and take care of them. It's just that the action feels a little rougher to both of us is all. Accuracy wise, they are on par with the Rugers, and they are fun to shoot.

And I'm glad i'm not the only one who has a WTF moment over that safety. If it's being carried, i just load 5 in the .22, and leave it off. On the line, load up six, and pay attention to what you are doing, no safety needed, aside from the one God gave me.

The .357 OTOH has a transfer bar, so loading 6 is not an issue.

So far, the wife bought the .22 for me as a birthday present this year, so I don't have a lot of time shooting it compared to the other revolvers we own, both have served me well, and worked every time I pulled the trigger. I've had the .357 for 4 years, and have about 1,800 rounds through it.

It is what it is, no more, no less. Don't expect $3,000 performance out of it, but it should outlast you, and be able to be enjoyed by the next generation. Price does not always indicate longevity, but i can say that I have a few shotguns from the 1940s that have been feeding my family for the last 4 generations, and i can see them doing the same for the 5th and 6th after I'm long gone. Your heritage should be able to do the same if you do your part.
You are very fortunate. Economically priced shotguns that has fed your family for 50 years? Would you share the name and type of shotguns? Being a life long handgun owner you have me confused? The inexpensive Heritage is on a par in accuracy with a Ruger? Price does not assure mechanical longevity? Your analysis of firearms is interesting.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3283 Times on 1891 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
You are very fortunate. Economically priced shotguns that has fed your family for 50 years? Would you share the name and type of shotguns? Being a life long handgun owner you have me confused? The inexpensive Heritage is on a par in accuracy with a Ruger? Price does not assure mechanical longevity? Your analysis of firearms is interesting.
I dont think thats a strech at all regarding the low price shotguns. Im still running a 16 gauge Sears and Robuck branded model 30 that has been passed down through the generations. Still drops rabbits and doves.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 965 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 1710

I just bought the 22LR/Magnum with the 9 1/2" barrel. I am satisfied I got my money's worth. After the warranty has expired, that "safety" will be removed. I am aware of the responsibility.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4323 Times on 2452 Posts
Likes Given: 2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
I dont think thats a strech at all regarding the low price shotguns. Im still running a 16 gauge Sears and Robuck branded model 30 that has been passed down through the generations. Still drops rabbits and doves.
Your Mdl. 30 shotgun was designed by John Browning and manufactured by the J. Stevens Arms Company. They were made during the 1930s. They were produced after WWII. They were not poor quality shotguns.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6715 Times on 3852 Posts
Likes Given: 32386

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
join the club.

i also have a couple shotguns that have fed 4+ generations of my family, as well as a couple .22s that also fall into that bracket. one of which is a Mossberg 185d my great grandfather bought new in 1948, that has put small game in the stew pot, and venison on the table since day one, a Mossberg 151M that has done the same with small game and varmints, and a remington 11-48 that wqas used on everything from squirrels to bear.

granted, a lower priced firearm might not hold up to the round count of one worth 5 times as much, or more, but if you take care of it, it will outlast you, your children, their children, and so on. I can still go 5 for 5 with either shotg8un, at 50 yards, taking out 12 oz bottles, which ain't bad for firing slugs through a shotgun made to sell for about $28 when it was new.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #26

Liked 55 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 173

well I own a heritage 22lr/2mag combo and it has the 6 1/2in barrel but I found with mine it shoots super accurate groups with 22mag but I am having issues with 22lr there right at the forcing cone as it builds up leading pretty heavy! so I read somewhere one guy bought a special forcing cone reamer 11deg I belive from brownells and he recut his forcing cone and after that he said the accuracy came way up and the leading stopped there at the forcing cone! so has anyone done this to their heritage 22lr/22mag combo revolver? plus I also own two heritage big bore revolvers in 45 colt with 4 3/4in barrels and these are made way better than the 22 pistol I mean way better and these are very accurate pistols as I load my own cast bullets with an old lyman single cavity mold part#454 190 and I size these at .457 and lube these with lee alox and load them with 6.8grs greendot and these pistols shoot like a rifle! very very accurate and they have zero leading with this oversize bullet! it was the only way to stop the leading and the accuracy was super!! I love the big bore series and these two 45 colt revolvers need nothing but use!!
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #27

Liked 1230 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 2005

As far as Heritage Revolvers I don't want one, for all the reason everyone knows.
If I want a gun I want it to be of quality and perhaps passed down to Grand kids or at least stay together.
If I needed or wanted a revolver and it was all that fit in my budget I would buy it.
If they would get rid of that PC safety they would sell a lot more of them.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #28

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Kentucky45, your Heritage Manufacturing 45 Colt revolver is made in Italy by Pietta, shipped to Heritage in Miami, and assembled there.
You are correct - it is a quality piece. I have one in 7 1/2".

I have a couple Ruger Single Sixes. They are often my "barnyard carry" on any given day. But there are others that do this duty as well.
I bought a Heritage Rough Rider Convertible for $139 a number of years ago, and it's the best $139 I ever spent. When it's a dark and rainy night, the chickens are squawkin', and the wife "asks" me to go check things out, I don't have to worry about the little pistol getting soaking wet.
In fact, I liked it so much I bought a 3" barrel birds head grip model. It fits in the back pocket of my jeans when I'm out working on the property, and with the 22 magnum cylinder installed, I have the power of a 22LR rifle in a pocket sized package.
Does the Heritage have the fit and finish of a Single Six? No. Will one last as long as a Single Six? No.
But, believe it or not, my 6.5" barrel Heritage is more accurate that either of my Rugers.

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #29

Liked 7099 Times on 3894 Posts
Likes Given: 12142

never discount the quality of firearm based solely on price alone. some gun manufacturers have found they can produce a quality firearm without it being huge cost investment for the consumer.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This