For you revolver experts out there

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > For you revolver experts out there

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default For you revolver experts out there

I have an sp101,and I've heard a lot about timing being a huge factor with revolvers. My thing is,I recently noticed that when looking straight down on the top strap,the flutes in the cylinder don't look perfectly aligned on either side. Now the gun shoots great,so my only thing is maybe the flutes were machined just a little off center between the holes? I mean were talking a very small amount,but its something that bugs me. There is very small amount of play in the cylinder,not enough to be visibly seen with my eyes but can feel with fingertips. Like I said the gun shoots fine,but its just something that I think about whenever I notice it,so is it a semi-normal thing for the flutes to be machined ever so slightly off center in a production gun.

Basically I just need someone to tell me its in my head and that the gun is fine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's in your head, the gun is fine.

Really, I can't explain that, but I know your gun shoots fine, it's accurate, and locks up better than mine, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Lol appreciate it trip,I figured you and my pops both would get on here telling me im crazy. But the little things bug me,especially on a gun I like as much as the sp.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #4

Likes Given: 2

Flutes, and bolt notches are important, with regards to timing, as to how the gun "locks up" prior to discharging a round down the barrel.

The hand should rise in to the bolt notch prior to the hammer falling. Where the flutes lie in relation to that is immaterial as they can be machined over the cyclinders or between them. I wouldn't worry about it if the gun shoots good and you're not getting lead "shavings." If you ever do get lead "shavings" you will know that gun is out of time.