Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Would you hunt with a S&W Model 19?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Would you hunt with a S&W Model 19?

I've got a 6" S&W model 19-4 in near perfect condition. I don't shoot it a lot because it's in good shape and it's one of the sweetest revolvers I've ever shot. Here lately I've been itching to deer hunt with a pistol and since it's the only 6" pistol I own, it's the only one I can use here in NC. I'm currently working on some hunting loads for it. What do you guys think, should I hunt with it? Or should I pick up something else, used GP100 maybe?

Here's the p0rn.....

24436910028_large.jpg

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I dunno anything about hunting with a pistol, but you could definitely lose that baby in my bookbag...

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

By all means use it. It would make a great woods gun. Keep your loads reasonable and you will be fine. If you are going to work with loads on the top end of the scale on a continuous basis, I would go with the N frame or the Ruger. Would not want to damage that nice pinned and recessed mod-19, although they will take a beating, I would not want to do it as a steady diet.

Jim...........................

Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
If you are going to work with loads on the top end of the scale on a continuous basis, I would go with the N frame or the Ruger. Would not want to damage that nice pinned and recessed mod-19, although they will take a beating, I would not want to do it as a steady diet.

Jim...........................
My thoughts exactly! I enjoy the gun but my understanding is that they don't like a steady diet of magnums. Usually when I get it out I feed it 38s and then finish the day with a cylinder or 2 of 158gr mags just for fun. I guess I can apply the same thing to my practice for hunting. Finish with a cylinder or 2 of my hunting load just to make sure I'm on track. My bullet search continues....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd certainly hunt with it for shots out to 50 yards. The main reason they don't like a steady diet of full house loads is they'll go out of time. It does take longer (more rounds) than you would think to stress them so much it goes out of time though. In bullet selection I'd think about Gold Dot or the Winchester bonded core on deer.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I hunt with a similar model 19. However after years of hunting it isnt new looking anymore, however it is far more handsome than yours. Mine has many scars and bumps, everyone can tell a interesting story. Just last week it ended up in a ditch during a mishap in elk camp. While I like near new older firearms I much prefer experenced guns. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is a really nice M19.

I had one I used to take hunting a lot but mostly it stayed holstered as my 30-30 was all that was needed. Only one time did I finish off a downed deer with it. I had it for a few years but sold it to buy a python. It was a nice revolver and still in very good condition when I sold it. Mostly, it was holstered and under my jacket. It did have a little holster wear on the barrel and cylinder from being holstered a lot as I did use it. But it was not beat up.

I don't think you should hesitate to carry it hunting if you want to.

Just my opinion.

OC

"magbum"

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 AM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Yes!...........

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A nice pistol, the only pistol I've hunted with was a TC. I expect it depends much on the range/distance, your skill with the pistol and the size of ther deer in your area. I have a S&W 586 never thought about hunting with it in the PNW.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 11-11-2009 at 03:24 AM.