Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Worst range trip ever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Worst range trip ever

Just went up to the range yesterday for a little bit of plinking. Had some 22s and a couple of 20g singles. Cheap and fun trip... well except the fact that the RG that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. Undoubtidly the worst handgun I've ever shot. Functional... Yes! Reliable... I would say yes! Accurate... That word didn't exist during the manufacturing of this lil' revolver. I test fired in a down range direction about 5 loads, so 30 rounds. This was just to watch and feel the weapon, mostly to ensure safety. Everything went well so I put up a target and started at 7yds. I generally never get this close. But in this case I'm definately glad I did. 8" target at 7yds. and I missed 6 consecutive shots. Reloaded and moved to 5yds. I noticed then how high it was shooting. I moved to 8 feet away. Never practiced this close before. At only 8 feet, on an 8 inch target, I hit 4/6. I have to shoot at the very bottom about two inches to the right to hit bullseye at that short of a distance. This thing isn't even fun for plinking. Gotta say, I do believe that I'll be trading it off.

Has anyone else ever wound up with one this bad before? Tell me your experience!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

RG? Seriously? With all seriousness, did you expect better than that?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I fired the first 70 shots through an early-1960's Iver Johnson .32 S&W, and at no point in the spectrum of the sights is it remotely on target. At 21', I would have to aim at your crotch to hit you in the sternum, and that's with the whole blade showing above the rear sights. I can make a tight group, but it has no relevance to the sight picture. It is my "5-shot 6-Shooter". You shoot it 5 times, and then throw it at the BG for the 6th shot.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

I had one RG come through my shop. Red tagged it and told the owner never to shoot it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You sound surprised that THE saturday night special, pot metal gun, that cost 15-$20 new, isnt a target gun. THey were intended for one purpose, to shoot people with. Not bullseyes.

Having said that, I just flipped one in 32 long. Made $75 on the deal. It shot as good as any other snubbie at that distance. Minute of bad-guy is all it takes.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I was under the impression that RG stood for "rotten gun". Yours didn't blow up and did hit the target sometimes - about the best you can hope for...

Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2684 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Forgive my ignorance, RG? Not familiar with that.
(Though, it sounds as like I'm not missing anything.)

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, RG? Not familiar with that.
(Though, it sounds as like I'm not missing anything.)
+1
[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8588 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

RG stands for Rohm GmbH. They were a German maker of machine tools that started making blank guns after the war, and made some of the poorest quality disposable firearms ever to be called firearms. Frames of zinc alloy (pot metal) pot metal barrels with a steel liner, famous for disassembling themselves. Inaccurate, unreliable, EXACTLY what I would like my opponent to be holding. Importation of most was blocked after the 1968 GCA. They DO make good fishing sinkers when deep sea fishing- usually will last a couple of days before dissolving.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-14-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As a much younger man I bought a RG snub nose 38 spl new, I had it for two weeks and traded it for a Raven arms .25 that I kept for almost as long, traded it for a Rugger .22single six, still have that pistol. Sometine stupid trips into lucky. I've learned a lot about firearms since those days.

Best advice is take your time and educate yourself before you buy. It's much easier these days.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.