Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Will a refinish by the manufacturer damage the value?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default Will a refinish by the manufacturer damage the value?

A friend of mine recently purchased a early 80s Stainless Python 6". The original box is missing and it is a low rounds count shooter. The original owner was less than diligent in his handling of it. It has subsequently recieved a number of scratches. The worst of which are on the topstrap in the Matte Finish area. You can't really just buff those out. I suggested that he contact Colt and see how much to have them give it a once over. He responded by asking how much, if any, the collectors value would be affected. I'm wasn't really sure but I figured it might be worth asking here.
My uneducated opinion was: since it is has been a shooter and not unique as Pythons go, sending it to Colt for a refinish shouldn't really matter much. It might even help.

Opinions?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Technically, stainless isn't a finish. It's a kind of steel. If it was a Bright Stainless model then sending it back to Colt would result in them polishing out the scratches and bringing it back to a Bright shine. There will be no "refinishing" so to speak on a stainless gun. To a Python purist, there might be some loss of value, but since you don't have the box or paperwork on anything anyway, it doesn't have much of a collector value anyway.

If I were your friend, I would shoot it the way it is. But if I were going to send it back to Colt to be repolished (and I've done this to one of my Pythons) I would just plan on keeping the gun as a family heirloom and forget about the "value". Not having the box and paperwork will hurt the collector value of the gun more than whether or not was sent back to Colt for a polishing.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Not having the box and paperwork will hurt the collector value of the gun more than whether or not was sent back to Colt for a polishing.
That's what I suspected.
Thanks
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Colt will be able to match the matte area well. I do not know if it is sand/bead blasted or what, but they will be able to bring it up to nearly new condition. Collector value will affected minimally if at all.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball