Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Wifes first gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wifes first gun

Am new to the site but many years shooting. Currently in the military and got my wife into shooting. Where we live at area is getting pretty bad and since guns are cheaper then moving I'm going to get her one to carry. She is very recoil shy. I have a high point 9mm just to shoot at range (cheap on ammo& cheap gun). She shoots it quit well but will only shoot 10-15 rounds before she says to much. She shot a d.s. revolver n fell in love with it. Cost is a little to step at these times. Would like to get her a revolver that is cheap, compact to fit in her purse, recoil friendly, and powerful enough to put someone on there butt. Any help or am I just gonna have to get a second job (yeah right lol)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

My wife chose a S&W J frame 642 Airweight 38 spl. The revolver came with a Hogue grip and shoots well. She is a petite lady, but handles her revolver quite well.

A Ruger LCR in 38 spl is definitely worth considering, has a very smooth DAO trigger. These can be found for about $400 right now, maybe less / maybe more.

Make sure you let her choose her gun.

A good investment might be a personal defense class.

Do y'all live where you can get a dog to help keep guard while you are on duty?

How about a 20 ga shotgun for HD?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #3

Yeah got a dog. I'm more worried about her when she go's to work and leaves work. Or when she goes to the stores. Thanks for the info. She has taken the classes but she is dead set on this and well I could never forgive my self if I didn't let her carry the weapon and something happen.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddy212 View Post
Yeah got a dog. I'm more worried about her when she go's to work and leaves work. Or when she goes to the stores. Thanks for the info. She has taken the classes but she is dead set on this and well I could never forgive my self if I didn't let her carry the weapon and something happen.
As long as it her choice, then by all means support her.

Just get the best quality firearm you can afford. Rugers and Smiths are top of the heap revolvers, even used ones.

Some folks recommend Charter Arms, some Taurus, I just have no experience with them.

Be sure to think about how the gun will be stored while she is at work, not many workplaces welcome firearms.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Look at a Ruger SP101 357 Mag. She can always load with a 38 special, but if she gets good with it and wants to upgrade to a more powerful gun, you do not have to buy another (just load with 357 mag).

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #6

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingreeneco
Look at a Ruger SP101 357 Mag. She can always load with a 38 special, but if she gets good with it and wants to upgrade to a more powerful gun, you do not have to buy another (just load with 357 mag).
+1 on that post. I bought my wife a S&W airweight 638 and that loaded with +p rounds are more than enough for her. She can shoot full .357 mag loads out of my Gp100 but with the small frame smith she wouldnt be able to shoot .357 mags out of a small frame. Ive shoot my father in laws sp101 and that loaded with .38's are very mild on recoil. The Sp101 is probally gonna be my next carry weapon. Its a great choice. Here is the smith i bought for her about a month ago. And my father in laws sp101.
forumrunner_20120926_002456.jpg   imagejpeg_2.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #7

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry about the upside down picture my phone loads pictures what ever way it wants...