For wife...which carry revolver fits?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > For wife...which carry revolver fits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default For wife...which carry revolver fits?

Hello, all!

My wife is really comfortable with revolvers over semi-autos. She's fired both and really feels good about carrying a revolver. She has her CHL and we're about to pick up a revolver for her.

Here is the thought process so far:

**.38spl (maybe +p) will be perfect for her and she feels comfy shooting it
**She has some hand weakness issues so we want steel to help absorb recoil
**DAO is just fine and no hammer would be great
**Smaller is better, but steel is important
**I was thinking (for me...), "Why not go with .357 just so we have one in the house?"
**Money isn't really an issue that would hold us back from anything in this category

After all of this we have tried the Smith and Wesson 640. My main purpose for having a .357 was to carry it as a trail gun, but my new .45acp 1911 would suit that purpose just fine and I wouldn't trust even .357magnum against a bear, anyway. If I was really in badlands, I'd want to take my shotgun with slugs or buy a 45-70 lever-action rifle.

So, since my wife would never use the .357 capability, this opens up the field a bit.

I love Cane's LCR. I'd buy that before a .38spl Airlight any day. But, steel still might be better.

Thoughts? I can't wait to have a revolver in the house, anyway.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You looked at the Lady Smith line of pistols?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The Lady Smith is not really a line of pistols, just pretty grips on standard J-frames. Is there a particular model that I am missing?

The only steel-frame short-barrel revolver in the Smith family is the 640. Is that right?

What about other brands? I have definitely heard that recoil on the LCR is somewhat equivalent to heavier steel short-barrels. That makes it a big contender. It is certainly more carry-able.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5638 Times on 2946 Posts
Likes Given: 372

my opinion is to never buy a weapon chambered for 38special. always opt for the 357mag. you can shoot 38sp. out of it and ramp up to 357mag for special occasions. the 357 chambering will give you far more versatility.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The Lady Smith is not really a line of pistols, just pretty grips on standard J-frames. Is there a particular model that I am missing?

The only steel-frame short-barrel revolver in the Smith family is the 640. Is that right?

What about other brands? I have definitely heard that recoil on the LCR is somewhat equivalent to heavier steel short-barrels. That makes it a big contender. It is certainly more carry-able.
Well..What I'm meaning is there are a crap load of small revolvers out there with Lady Smith stamped on the weapon. It's more than a set of grips. I got one for my now X mother in law (Model 60LS)

A friend of mine got one of those Charter Arms 38 snubbys ( I think it was the Under Cover 38) for a woman a while back. It seemed to work well enough but I really don't have enough first hand experience with them. THe only revolvers I buy are Colt, Smith, And Ruger. It's the only ones I've kept for any length of time that to me where worth the money. The SP101 is a nice weapon and wont break the bank.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 09-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my opinion is to never buy a weapon chambered for 38special. always opt for the 357mag. you can shoot 38sp. out of it and ramp up to 357mag for special occasions. the 357 chambering will give you far more versatility.
Very true for service size guns but the .357 j-frames are larger & heavier than the dedicated .38s.

I know we have a lot of LCR fans here, haven't shot one myself but I know folks are happy with them...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-09-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just a caution...The Airweights mentioned are not steel.
They are a Titanium alloy which is the lightest of the light.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
jbd

Well I'm one of the LCR fan here my wife has mine now as her carry, so now I'm about to get another LCR. I might get the LCR 357 just because I will be able to shoot magnums if I want too. Anyway she should shoot an LCR if she can and see if she loves it the way my wife and I do.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #9

Default Small Womans Revolver

Both my daughters ended up with 3" Model Smiths with larger Crimson Trace laser grips. They make smaller boot grips but they preferred the larger size. This with that little extra barrel and weight makes them much easier to shoot. As an added bonus Dad got his old Model 60 and a slightly used Kahr P9 out of all of it! The only thing I would add is to purchase some professional training (Non family Member!) with your weapon of choice. Best investment I ever made! Both benifited greatly, more than Dad could ever do. Ct

Old 09-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

CHLChris,

I too would go for something in .357. Not just for the versatility of ammunition but because it will have a stouter frame, and that should help absorb recoil.

Have you looked at a Ruger SP 101? It has a pretty hefty frame.

I have shot Smith Airweights and a Ruger LCR, and the recoil was noticeable on both. I wouldn't think anyone who is sensitive to recoil would want to spend a lot of range time with either.

KWGaryM mentioned the .327 magnum, and that might be something to think about. Like the .357, the .327 will take non-magnum loads of the same caliber, so you can find something that "fits." I believe there are also models available that will hold one round more than .357/.38 models of the same size (6 vs. 5 in a snubbie). The biggest drawback that I see is the availability of ammunition (and probably the expense).

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs