Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1085 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeilgeoir View Post
I don't own any guns, and have only shot 2 semis ever, and no revolvers, so please don't bite my head off, I understand a lot of the appeal of revolvers, the simplicity, the history and maybe the feel, but practically I can't really see the point. They are wider and often heavier than semis, with less capacity (which I imagine isn't good for ccw) and are just overall bulkier, or else they look too uncomfortably small, but this is just observations, and from an inexperienced source, so could you please shine some light on it? Or is it just the machismo of them? (which I would umderstand too :P I think theyre generally cooler :P)
Because you can get them in a more powerful round !

When all else fails.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
The problem here is your talking about a junk ass taurus...buy a real wheel gun like a Smith or Ruger and you wont have ANY problems!
LOL! Don't be hatin.

Honestly, i think that is a hit-or-miss thing really. My BIL has a "raging bull" in .44 that has run fine, and i hear the same from a lot of people. I think the deal is that if you get a bad one, it is REALLY bad.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I like revolvers because they don't leave any tell-tale brass at the crime scene.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #24

I've never had a revolver jam.

My father has a .38 snub that he has had for 20 years. We have never had a problem with it. Also, most revolvers I've come in contact with are super easy to clean.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2592 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 248

gaeilgeoir, do yourself a favor, find a range/shop that rents handguns and go fire a quality revolver. I can just about guarantee that you will enjoy it.
Revolvers as a range gun are great. I don't need to chase my brass, just dump it in the bag right there on the table.

As for the CC of a revolver vs. semi auto, people can make all the different points they wish. It will always boil down to personal preference.
I still carry my little 5 shooter Charter Arms .38 snubbie now and again. It's by no means bulky or cumbersome. Toss it & a speedloader into a jacket pocket and off you go. That said, I also own an XD40SC & a DW CCO that get carried as well.

So I guess my point is: Why not revolvers?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
LOL! Don't be hatin.

Honestly, i think that is a hit-or-miss thing really. My BIL has a "raging bull" in .44 that has run fine, and i hear the same from a lot of people. I think the deal is that if you get a bad one, it is REALLY bad.

LMAO!!!

Sorry man, haters gotta be hatin'!!

I woke this morning and took a huge drink of hateraide!

I had one taurus and one was more than enough!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #27

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 37

One thing about auto's is you can get a top notch one for not a huge amount of money,as where a high quality revolver will cost you more,i'm not sure why,probably supply and demand since whenever I go into a gunstore its 66% auto's to 33% revolvers in the case.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2592 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
One thing about auto's is you can get a top notch one for not a huge amount of money,as where a high quality revolver will cost you more,i'm not sure why,probably supply and demand since whenever I go into a gunstore its 66% auto's to 33% revolvers in the case.
It depends on which kind of auto your talking about with the term "Top Notch." Nicer 1911s will start around $800 and go up rapidly from there. Makes a Ruger revolver seem downright competitive. My SA & DW 1911s cost more than my S&W 627 PC. H&K & Sig aren't exactly giving their higher end products away either. It all depends on what you looking at when comparing prices.

As for the proportion of autos to revolvers, that only means that autos tend to be cheaper on the lower end. Glock vs. S&W revolvers not really a good comparison. But Glock vs. Judge is a more apt comparison. Chevy sells a lot more Malibus than they do Corvettes, that doesn't mean I want a Malibu over a Corvette.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #29

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I like revolvers because they don't leave any tell-tale brass at the crime scene.
Very valid point.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #30

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
It depends on which kind of auto your talking about with the term "Top Notch." Nicer 1911s will start around $800 and go up rapidly from there. Makes a Ruger revolver seem downright competitive. My SA & DW 1911s cost more than my S&W 627 PC. H&K & Sig aren't exactly giving their higher end products away either. It all depends on what you looking at when comparing prices.

As for the proportion of autos to revolvers, that only means that autos tend to be cheaper on the lower end. Glock vs. S&W revolvers not really a good comparison. But Glock vs. Judge is a more apt comparison. Chevy sells a lot more Malibus than they do Corvettes, that doesn't mean I want a Malibu over a Corvette.
I know alot of auto's are high,I was just making a point to what an average joe would purchase as a "good" handgun,take for instance 2 guns that police have considered to be good guns for awhile,past and present-the S&W model 10 and the Glock G17.I could buy the model 10 right now for $680 new OTD,but the Glock I can get for $528 new OTD.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves