Why revolvers? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Revolvers have more class.

A good revolver - particularly a pinned barrel S&W - is simply elegant.

A revolver handles quicker than any double action semi-automatic pistol, and is far, far faster on multiple targets. A revolver teaches the shooter how to squeeze the trigger and get hits.

I own several semi-automatic pistols for social work. All of them are Colt Government Models or Commanders except for a S&W M39 and a H&K USPc40. I have no qualm about being armed with either semi-automatic or double action revolver; however I find a proper revolver much more usable.

Just for the record, I started out as a Government Model aficionado leaving revolvers for hunting or 'fun'. I have changed over the years - I'm in my early 60s now - and prefer the revolver for serious purposes.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #12

Years ago, I had the "pleasure" of shooting a brand new fresh out of the box Colt .45ACP Series 80 Pistol. A beautiful looking gun, bought a fresh box of Winchester factory loads, and headed for the 75ft indoor range at this particular gunshop.

I had plans of actually buying a Colt .45 Gold Cup Match that day, had the money in hand in fact. At the time, that gun (Gold Cup Match) I think would've set me back about $850-$875.

The gun hung an empty every 2nd, or 3rd shot in the ejection port, and I'm saying to myself "WTF kind of crap is this"? Started making the excuse to myself that maybe cause it was never fired before, needed a bit of break in to settle down?

So anyway, I was dropping the magazine, freeing the empty case, adding a couple rounds each time to the Mag, then re-inserting Mag, racking the slide, and having a go at it again.

Over and over the gun was doing this, and again and again, following the same procedure of dropping the Mag, freeing the jam, etc.

On the third attempt, I'm putting the Magazine back in the Pistol, and lightly tapping it home with the palm of my hand, when the magazine fell apart into a number of pieces.

There went all the bullets, the spring, the Magazine Feed Ramp, the entire shebang all over the counter, and over the counter into "no man's land"..

Some more expletitives uttered, shook my head in a whismical disbelief, and took the gun back up the front counter of the store.

The owner of the shop looked at me like I threw his brand new gun against the wall, and asked what the heck happened? I told him, and when he asked where the rest of the Mag's parts were, I told him "Over the counter, and I hope you didn't expect me to climb over that counter at a 10 stall Range, with 6-7 other people shooting, did you?"

Upon closer inspection of the magazine, the two utterly tiny spot welds holding the bottom Strap to the Magazine failed.

He said "I've been shooting Colt Autos for 40 years and never seen this happen!"

And I retorted, "Yeah, and it only needs to happen once, when I desperately need that gun to defend my life!"

That was the day I bought this!
dscn0130.jpg

It's the upper gun in this pic, the Colt King Cobra .357 in Stainless Steel, 4" Barrel. Never once has this gun failed to go "bang" when I squeezed the trigger. It was at the time less than 1/2 the price of the Colt Gold Cup Match, and I think it was a wise purchase. This pic was taken only about a month ago.

As for the lower gun in this pic, my PPK/S Walther (Interarms), I wish I would've bought the Ruger SP-101 instead. Mark

Last edited by Markd51; 09-27-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It comes down to a personal preference to me. I just prefer to carry a revolver. I also find them easier to conceal, as I have difficulty hiding the big square grip of my semi-autos, and revolvers are overall, thinner to me except at the cylinder.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #14

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I like the simplicity of maintenance and operation of a revolver. It just can't be beat. Reliability? They are all (revolvers and semis) prone to break down at some point or another. I know my gun inside and out (a revolver), and I know that if I had the parts on hand (I don't, but MidwayUSA and Brownell's are just a phone call away) I could fix anything that goes wrong with it. No I'm not a gunsmith, but the gun is that simple. Can't speak for semi's, don't own one, but I'm hoping that will soon change with a first 1911 pretty soon.

I'm also not a mechanic, but my truck has over 350k miles, wife's car has over 240k. They both have broken down many times in the past couple years, and while I'm not a mechanic, necessity means I'm learning how to fix em.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #15

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Because mine shoots over 20 calibers....

Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
A revolver handles quicker than any double action semi-automatic pistol, and is far, far faster on multiple targets.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
A revolver teaches the shooter how to squeeze the trigger and get hits.
That's not particularly a virtue of the revolver. Though, at the same time, that heavy trigger pull also means most people who try to shoot a revolver won't be able to hit jack :P , because they require much more practice to master than a SA or semi-SA trigger.

I started off an auto guy, and got turned on to revolvers due to their accuracy and power relative to autos. But, after really learning about all their intricacies (I could disassemble and re-assemble my Raging Bull blindfolded), as well as having a few problems (most of which I fixed myself). I realized a revolver is much more likely to break than an auto, and than when they do malfunction they are rarely fixable on the fly. Revolvers require much more precise fitment of parts to work correctly, and what would be relatively light material wear on an auto would require repairs on a revolver. Granted, I did fire about 2500 live rounds and dry-fire it probably 8-10k more times in the few months I owned it before I had these problems, but an auto put through the same paces wouldn't have required nearly as much tinkering to keep working.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Hmm...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pros-cons-revolvers-30411/

And part 2

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pros-cons-revolvers-part-two-30477/

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
That's not particularly a virtue of the revolver. Though, at the same time, that heavy trigger pull also means most people who try to shoot a revolver won't be able to hit jack, because they require much more practice to master than a SA or semi-SA trigger.
I hope so!

I care not to be shot again, with either one!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Huh?

That's not particularly a virtue of the revolver. Though, at the same time, that heavy trigger pull also means most people who try to shoot a revolver won't be able to hit jack :P , because they require much more practice to master than a SA or semi-SA trigger.

I started off an auto guy, and got turned on to revolvers due to their accuracy and power relative to autos. But, after really learning about all their intricacies (I could disassemble and re-assemble my Raging Bull blindfolded), as well as having a few problems (most of which I fixed myself). I realized a revolver is much more likely to break than an auto, and than when they do malfunction they are rarely fixable on the fly. Revolvers require much more precise fitment of parts to work correctly, and what would be relatively light material wear on an auto would require repairs on a revolver. Granted, I did fire about 2500 live rounds and dry-fire it probably 8-10k more times in the few months I owned it before I had these problems, but an auto put through the same paces wouldn't have required nearly as much tinkering to keep working.

The problem here is your talking about a junk ass taurus...buy a real wheel gun like a Smith or Ruger and you wont have ANY problems!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I just simply enjoy the look of my revolvers. Plus they are a blast to shoot and easy to clean!