Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why revolvers?

I don't own any guns, and have only shot 2 semis ever, and no revolvers, so please don't bite my head off, I understand a lot of the appeal of revolvers, the simplicity, the history and maybe the feel, but practically I can't really see the point. They are wider and often heavier than semis, with less capacity (which I imagine isn't good for ccw) and are just overall bulkier, or else they look too uncomfortably small, but this is just observations, and from an inexperienced source, so could you please shine some light on it? Or is it just the machismo of them? (which I would umderstand too :P I think theyre generally cooler :P)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Semi auto's can be made out of cheap materials,be dropped on the cement and abused and they still fire fine,(not so with DA revolvers)that's a plus,but, a good quality revolver will never,ever jam and can fire much more powerful rounds.To each his own,but I think out of all handguns the coolest handguns are double action revolvers.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I think it all depends on what you want to do with your gun. Are you planning to conceal carry? In my opinion, if 6 shots from a revolver isn't enough to stop an attacker, you need more time at the range practicing. Actually, I think it's a matter of preference of several things. Size of gun, caliber preference, carry preference, etc. Personally, I love my revolver. The semi-auto I have is strictly a range gun. It's all 'dressed up' for some target or hunting accuracy. If I ever were to carry, I, personally, would look into the LCR or the LCP for me.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I think it all depends on what you want to do with your gun. Are you planning to conceal carry? In my opinion, if 6 shots from a revolver isn't enough to stop an attacker, you need more time at the range practicing. Actually, I think it's a matter of preference of several things. Size of gun, caliber preference, carry preference, etc. Personally, I love my revolver. The semi-auto I have is strictly a range gun. It's all 'dressed up' for some target or hunting accuracy. If I ever were to carry, I, personally, would look into the LCR or the LCP for me.
Yea I was just wondering overall for practicality really, so I guess I meant ccw, and I see your point with the 6 shots on one person but then the questionof how many attackers there are has to be asked, and however unlikely I woul think I' rather be prepared. Are revolvers easy to conceal? (well like relative to semis, I'm sure you could conceal anything if you really wanted...:P)

Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5245 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Semi auto's can be made out of cheap materials,be dropped on the cement and abused and they still fire fine,(not so with DA revolvers)that's a plus,but, a good quality revolver will never,ever jam and can fire much more powerful rounds.To each his own,but I think out of all handguns the coolest handguns are double action revolvers.
revolvers can and do jam. get something stuck in the cylinder, a bullet pooching out a bit far or a primer not fully seated and that cylinder aint turnin.

no firearm is 100% it just depends on which pool of failure possibilities your willing to dip your toes in.

im a semi-auto person i have owned revolvers of various calibers and styles still own a python. the revolver is a time proven weapon and has been used in every major conflict up through vietnam.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would much prefer to be pistol whipped with my XD45 (polymer frame pistol) than my GP100 (steel revolver). I also MUCH prefer my revolver for fun target practice (as opposed to self-defense practice).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #7

For self defense, I think a good, well built revolver will be tough to beat.

For self defense, one large mistake is using handloads, or cheap Ammo. In this instance, I think the best bet will always be good quality factory loaded Ammo.

That the instance of catching a bad round will be quite slim.

With a Revolver, and that million to one chance that a person might catch a dead primer, no prob, just keep squeezing, a live one is comin around! lol Not so with a Semi Auto.

Good Semi-Autos are usually quite dependable, but I've shot some good ones, that had a propensity to jam, and hang empties in the ejection port. Not something I'd fancy happening in a life-death situation. With Semi-Autos, it usually is wise to try a variety of different brands-loads, and then stick with the ones that work best per given gun.

Downside with the Revolver, generally a lower capacity. If capacity is an important feature to you, then I reckon it's a no brainer.

I'm not so sure about the reliability factor of Revolver versus Semi Auto when thrown on the ground-abused . Guns like the Ruger GP-100, and others like the Colt King Cobra, Anaconda, Python are rock solid guns. Mark

Last edited by Markd51; 09-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeilgeoir View Post
Y...and I see your point with the 6 shots on one person but then the question of how many attackers there are has to be asked...
“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. - Col. Jeff Cooper

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Altho its been well covered ...when it comes down to FTF or jams...you are 1000 times more likely to have issues with a semi as opposed to revolver. EVERY semi can and WILL jam wether it be feed failure or eject failure (stove pipe)

i will sum it up in simple terms...

revolvers are idiot proof.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Haha thanks guys I just was wondering what otgers were thinking thanks, and O guess then unless you're going house to house in a warzone with only a pistol (or even with like a bolt-action or something extra but useless) you don't really need extra capacity, I guess you don't think of these things when you don't deal with the weapons first hand :P