Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why No 5 Shot .44 Mags?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,421
Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Why No 5 Shot .44 Mags?

I have wondered this for a little while now,maybe someone can shed some light on this question,but why are there no 5 shot .44 magnum compact revolvers?I have seen a few 6 shot .44 mag snubs but no one makes a 5 shot.Seems like there would be a market for one with the ccw craze.

__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

That's a good question. I'm not sure why they don't. It could just be tradition (6 cylinder is the norm), or maybe they think people want it to hold as many rounds as possible (if you have to have 6 rounds of 44 mag to take something down, you need a bigger gun)

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BillM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Amity
Posts: 995
Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Taurus Tracker---you could make it shorter easily. Charter Arms makes the
Bulldog in a 5 shot 44 special.

__________________
BillM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 2,710
Liked 2209 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 2137

Default

The 44 mag is a great hunting round but a bit much much for ccw. I think over penetration would be a bit of a problem. I wouldn't want to be standing behind the bad guy when you shoot him or even in the next room when you shoot him. As for 2 inch barrels on magnums, sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. Why have a round with all that powder and then handicap it with no barrel to burn it in.

__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,421
Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
The 44 mag is a great hunting round but a bit much much for ccw. I think over penetration would be a bit of a problem. I wouldn't want to be standing behind the bad guy when you shoot him or even in the next room when you shoot him. As for 2 inch barrels on magnums, sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. Why have a round with all that powder and then handicap it with no barrel to burn it in.
I know that this is the old way of thinking with the .44 mag,and at one point all you could get were 240gr softpoints and they would probably overpenetrate,but now days you can find loads that are technically "magnum"but are only 180gr and 165gr hollowpoints,or even some of the hotter corbon or hornady .44 specials would do well in it.I agree that a 2" barrel is a little short and cuts out alot of energy,6" is best for a 44 mag.4" is decent,but I wouldn't mind even a 4" barrel as long as it had a thin enough cylinder which comes to my main question,why no 5 shot 44 mags?
__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 2,710
Liked 2209 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 2137

Default

If you are going to carry mild loads or specials in it buy a 44 special they make those in 5 shot models.

__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 5,779
Liked 1719 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I know that this is the old way of thinking with the .44 mag,and at one point all you could get were 240gr softpoints and they would probably overpenetrate,but now days you can find loads that are technically "magnum"but are only 180gr and 165gr hollowpoints,or even some of the hotter corbon or hornady .44 specials would do well in it.I agree that a 2" barrel is a little short and cuts out alot of energy,6" is best for a 44 mag.4" is decent,but I wouldn't mind even a 4" barrel as long as it had a thin enough cylinder which comes to my main question,why no 5 shot 44 mags?
Your question has already been answered by billm. Taurus Tracker is a light weight (34 oz) 5 shot 44 mag with muzzle brake.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=227&category=Revolver&toggle=&bread crumbseries=
__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."


Last edited by JTJ; 04-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.
JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,421
Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Your question has already been answered by billm. Taurus Tracker is a light weight (34 oz) 5 shot 44 mag with muzzle brake.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=227&category=Revolver&toggle=&bread crumbseries=
It just looks a little big to me.In my head I imagine that S&W nightguard .44 mag,2.5" barrel-but instead of the 6 round cylinder,a 5 round.Something like that.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765945_-1_757773_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Model: 329 Night Guard™
.Caliber: .44 Magnum®
.44 S&W Special
.Capacity: 6 Rounds
.Barrel Length: 2.5" / 6.4 cm
.Front Sight: XS Sights® 24/7 Tritium Night
.Rear Sight: Cylinder & Slide Fixed
.Overall Length: 7.75" / 19.7 cm
.Weight Empty: 29.3 oz / 830.7 g
.Action: Single/Double Action
.Frame Size: Large - Exposed Hammer
.Grip: Synthetic
.Material: Scandium Alloy Frame
Stainless Steel Cylinder
.Finish: Matte Black
.Purpose: Personal Protection
Professional / Duty
.
163420_01_md.jpg  
__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves


Last edited by ninjatoth; 04-06-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added photo&specs
ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,799
Liked 4545 Times on 2197 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
It just looks a little big to me.In my head I imagine that S&W nightguard .44 mag,2.5" barrel-but instead of the 6 round cylinder,a 5 round.Something like that.
Present your Idea to S&W. Maybee they will call it the "Ninja Magnum"!
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 5,779
Liked 1719 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

So what you want is a 5 shot L frame. Like Tackleberry1 stated, call S&W or maybe Ruger about a GP100. Ruger has a place on their website to send ideas to the CEO. You could try Taurus also as they would only have to shorten the barrel.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
6.8 SPC AR mags shon0331 AR-15 Discussion 2 02-08-2012 07:28 AM
mags Simpleman AR-15 Discussion 21 12-16-2011 10:33 PM
Kel Tec KSG 14 shot pump shot gun Rex in OTZ General Shotgun Discussion 6 08-03-2011 06:43 AM
sks mags dragunovsks Gunsmithing Forum 0 05-06-2008 10:56 PM
7 shot cylinder in a 6 shot course of fire fitzy Revolver Handguns 1 01-31-2008 10:07 PM



Newest Threads