Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > why get a revolver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 367 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 995

i dont remember where i read this but they said alot of police officers were killed because in a life or death situation the officers would empty there revolvers in haist or trying to reach cover.and a lot of the bad guys carried semi-autos so they simply out gunned the police officers.not to say that would always happen.but it still comes down to personal prefrence.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #42

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

For whatever reason, I find it easier to point shoot with a revolver.

Seeing how a significant portion of PD shootings are done with the shooter not seeing his gun on the first two shots much less a sight picture pushes me to the revolver.

In Michigan I could carry a long slide CCW with little concern. Summer in South Florida is another reason to go with a wheel gun. Much easier to conceal carry in light clothing.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #43

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I've owned revolvers and autos for over thirty years. My favorite wheel gun is a 71/2" Ruger Redhawk which I have used to put more venison in the freezer than any rifle I've owned. I had a Ruger Security Six 6" barrel in 357 mag, it was faultless and in a way I'm sorry to have sold it. I've had 9mm, 45ACP, 40 cal and 380 pistols and presently own two 40's and one 380. The question is how fast one can reload wheel guns versus pistols in an urgent situation and I'll have to tell you a little story a friend told me about a guy he was out bear hunting with which one could parallel a firefight with someone who's trying to kill you. They had treed a bear and his friend shot the bear with a 44 mag revolver which really pissed the bear off and he came quickly down the tree as the guy unloaded all cylinders and was attempting to reload with a speed loader, due to a great deal of adrenaline he was having a bit of a hard time lining up the rounds to the cylinders and when he finally got it reloaded my friend said that the killing rounds fired were right in front of his friend. He said the bullets were causing steam to come out of the wounds. My friend said that under a situation where the bear was not up a tree and not so close the first round fired would have killed the bear, adrenaline was working for the bear as well. The situation has a great deal to do with how thing may go, if you have one attacker a revolver would be fine but if you are dealing with a number of bad guys that's when I'd want an auto. 16 +1 in my XDm 40 and 11+1 in my Stoeger 40. Now if I had a situation where two bad guys were lined up I know my Redhawk would take care of that.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #44

I didn't see anyone mention this reason:

Left Handed

Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #45
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingOld View Post
I didn't see anyone mention this reason:

Left Handed
Left handed isn't a reason. I'm left handed and I shoot auto-loaders & wheelguns quite often. I haven't seen an advantage or disadvantage. I do trust my wheelguns a little more in a gunfight though. And, I typically carry extra speed loaders when I carry a wheelgun.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #46

Default Don't forget the ammo

In a revolver you can shoot any ammunition of the proper caliber, and it will fire every time. .357 mag-.38 special +P-.38 special. .44 mag-.44 special. My wife carries a Smith model 60 in .357 mag, and it's no bigger than a 9mm glock. My favorite is my SAA in .45 Colt, but it's too big to carry, so I have a Taurus the same size as the wife's gun.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
FTF in a revolver? Just squeeze the trigger again.... Come to think of it, Ive never had a FTF in any of my revolvers...
I heard of a guy not long ago on guntalk radio where he fended off a bear with a 454, and the revolver jammed. It was due to a poorly seated bullet jaring loose and sticking out past the wheel, preventing the wheel from rotating and lining up the cylinder to the barrel.

It can happen. Albeit the cause was not the Revolver but the choice and malfunction of reloaded ammo that produced a FTF. Has never happened to me but then I don't reload, and of the reloads I have shot through wheel guns never had this issue (and have never owned more than a 357 mag in a wheel gun to produce the impact needed to jar loose a bullet, etc). I bought a GP100 6" this weekend - thought about a 44 but already have plenty of 357 in my inventory for another wheelgun (SP101).

I'm generally a fan of Ruger revolvers, to do with their wheel release design. Its works best for me as a south paw (or perhaps just personal preference in that regard).

BTW You have to break in the trigger on Ruger revolvers a little (500 to 1000 at the range and/or dry firing at the TV works for me, so long as I make damn sure the ammo is in a different room - my TV was expensive and don't want to have to explain how it happened to the homer owners insurance people... ) or have it polished etc by a gun smith (or yourself if you can do that sort of thing, etc), but after a while its right as rain (plus its fun to go break it in).

Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #48

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlobo View Post
I heard of a guy not long ago on guntalk radio where he fended off a bear with a 454, and the revolver jammed. It was due to a poorly seated bullet jaring loose and sticking out past the wheel, preventing the wheel from rotating and lining up the cylinder to the barrel.
If your carrying a revolver for self-defense you shouldn't be using reloads - besides, one occurence of a dislodged reload hardly qualifies as a common problem, so once again, one reason to carry a revolver for self defense is NO JAMS...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-15-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
If your carrying a revolver for self-defense you shouldn't be using reloads - besides, one occurrence of a dislodged reload hardly qualifies as a common problem, so once again, one reason to carry a revolver for self defense is NO JAMS...
On the last note we agree - I include story AS a reason not to carry reloads for PD/SD

And yeah according to the guy they were custom loads, meant to be extra heavy/hot for Alaskan bears. Here is a link to the audio cast: guntalk's Podcast

Fortunately is was the fifth or sixed shot that jammed and he had landed at least one good shot. He was very lucky (I don't what one carries, I have have think that it has to be 99.6% luck, walking away from a charging Kodiak). I believe by the end of the interview you get his conclusion on reloads for these situations

Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #50

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlobo View Post
"...he fended off a bear with a 454, and the revolver jammed. It was due to a poorly seated bullet jarring loose and sticking out past the wheel...malfunction of reloaded ammo..."
Can you say Darwinism?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello