Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > why get a revolver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default why get a revolver?

Im pretty sure some pros are..

1. much easier to take apart
2. More reliable do to less moving parts

but... what other reasons might someone get a revolver? and when you made the decision to get one, which one did you get and what was the application?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Revolvers aren't necessarily all that easy to disassemble. (I mean completely disassembled) I've had Rugers and S&W's apart for various reasons and it takes some getting used to. Of the two, I found the Smith easier to work on.

Revolvers have their uses and semi autos have their uses. It all comes down to what you want the firearm to accomplish.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #3

They look pretty badass.

S.S.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Revolvers have their uses and semi autos have their uses. It all comes down to what you want the firearm to accomplish.
this is what i was wondering about, maybe you could elaborate as to the advantages a revolver might have over a semi-auto with slide and magazine

Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have both revolvers and semi autos. I got into revolvers shortly after shooting a friends 357 meg and deciding I needed to have one. Now I have 2, a S&W model 19 and a Ruger SP101 and will probably have more in the future.. I got my wife into shooting thru revolvers becaue they were easier for her to operate and less intimidating for her. The SP101 is her night stand gun with 38's and trust the gun fully.
Revolvers offer several things autos can't...one being magnum cartriges and don't bring your dumb DE argument. Revolvers have the strength to handle 357, 41, 44, 454, 460 and 500's.
They can be belly guns, they don't need room for the action to cycle and as long as the cylinder doesn't jam you're good.
No tap, rack, bang. If it doesn't go off, just keep squeezing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
They look pretty badass.

S.S.
They were the first "bad asses" and for me they will always hold a special place in my firearms heart. Less moving parts to worry about and reliable for years. The only disadvantage over semi-autos, less rounds, maybe a little heavier and bulkier on bigger wheelis, but they make the same hole, cause the same damage and do the same job.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Spittinfire pretty much covered it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Good quality revolvers harken to an era of craftsmanship and fine steel. Intrinsic beauty that a Glock or other polymer pistol can never match (IMHO).

Wheel guns can be had in MUCH more powerful chamberings than autos. When the target is large and dangerous, few autos will be adequate. Few will go afield in large bear country with an auto. .44 mag revolver (or larger) is the preferred protection.

With practice a revolver is a very formidable defensive arm. 6 shots of .357 mag can be better than 15 of 9mm. One shot from my .44 will not require follow up shots on two legged vermin. I practice and can regulary attain sub 3 second reloads using Safariland speedloaders. Many folks cannot reload their wonder9's in 3 seconds.

To me, a nicely blued S&W N-frame is a work of art as well as a powerful tool.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Very true robo. I have to say my prettiest gun is easily my model 19. I personally have a thing for the old, deep blue S&W's with a nice medium finish wood grip. Model 19, 29 etc...pinned and recessed. I personally like the square butt but that's me.
I couldn't find a picture of mine other wise I would put one up.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

One thing not yet mentioned is accuracy. The barrels in most semi-autos move during cycling, while a revolver's barrel is fixed. That little bit of play in the barrel makes for slightly larger groups from semi-autos. There are exceptions, of course. A few semi-autos use rotating bolts, which leave the barrels stationary, and some high-end semis have VERY tight tolerances.

One disadvantage inherent to the revolver is that the magazine (cylinder) and grip are one behind the other, while in semi-autos, they occupy the same space. So a revolver with a 4" barrel will be considerably bigger than a semi-auto with the same barrel length.

Personally, I love shooting both. And rifles. And shotguns.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs