Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   why get a revolver? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/why-get-revolver-16790/)

field 08-11-2009 04:39 PM

why get a revolver?

Im pretty sure some pros are..

1. much easier to take apart
2. More reliable do to less moving parts

but... what other reasons might someone get a revolver? and when you made the decision to get one, which one did you get and what was the application?

CA357 08-11-2009 04:44 PM

Revolvers aren't necessarily all that easy to disassemble. (I mean completely disassembled) I've had Rugers and S&W's apart for various reasons and it takes some getting used to. Of the two, I found the Smith easier to work on. ;)

Revolvers have their uses and semi autos have their uses. It all comes down to what you want the firearm to accomplish.

Shotgun Shooter 08-11-2009 04:45 PM

They look pretty badass.

S.S.

field 08-11-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 142599)
Revolvers have their uses and semi autos have their uses. It all comes down to what you want the firearm to accomplish.

this is what i was wondering about, maybe you could elaborate as to the advantages a revolver might have over a semi-auto with slide and magazine

spittinfire 08-11-2009 05:02 PM

I have both revolvers and semi autos. I got into revolvers shortly after shooting a friends 357 meg and deciding I needed to have one. Now I have 2, a S&W model 19 and a Ruger SP101 and will probably have more in the future.. I got my wife into shooting thru revolvers becaue they were easier for her to operate and less intimidating for her. The SP101 is her night stand gun with 38's and trust the gun fully.
Revolvers offer several things autos can't...one being magnum cartriges and don't bring your dumb DE argument. Revolvers have the strength to handle 357, 41, 44, 454, 460 and 500's.
They can be belly guns, they don't need room for the action to cycle and as long as the cylinder doesn't jam you're good.
No tap, rack, bang. If it doesn't go off, just keep squeezing.

IGETEVEN 08-11-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 142600)
They look pretty badass.

S.S.

They were the first "bad asses" and for me they will always hold a special place in my firearms heart. Less moving parts to worry about and reliable for years. The only disadvantage over semi-autos, less rounds, maybe a little heavier and bulkier on bigger wheelis, but they make the same hole, cause the same damage and do the same job.

Jack

CA357 08-11-2009 05:16 PM

Spittinfire pretty much covered it.

robocop10mm 08-11-2009 05:18 PM

Good quality revolvers harken to an era of craftsmanship and fine steel. Intrinsic beauty that a Glock or other polymer pistol can never match (IMHO).

Wheel guns can be had in MUCH more powerful chamberings than autos. When the target is large and dangerous, few autos will be adequate. Few will go afield in large bear country with an auto. .44 mag revolver (or larger) is the preferred protection.

With practice a revolver is a very formidable defensive arm. 6 shots of .357 mag can be better than 15 of 9mm. One shot from my .44 will not require follow up shots on two legged vermin. I practice and can regulary attain sub 3 second reloads using Safariland speedloaders. Many folks cannot reload their wonder9's in 3 seconds.

To me, a nicely blued S&W N-frame is a work of art as well as a powerful tool.

spittinfire 08-11-2009 05:55 PM

Very true robo. I have to say my prettiest gun is easily my model 19. I personally have a thing for the old, deep blue S&W's with a nice medium finish wood grip. Model 19, 29 etc...pinned and recessed. I personally like the square butt but that's me.
I couldn't find a picture of mine other wise I would put one up.

utf59 08-11-2009 06:38 PM

One thing not yet mentioned is accuracy. The barrels in most semi-autos move during cycling, while a revolver's barrel is fixed. That little bit of play in the barrel makes for slightly larger groups from semi-autos. There are exceptions, of course. A few semi-autos use rotating bolts, which leave the barrels stationary, and some high-end semis have VERY tight tolerances.

One disadvantage inherent to the revolver is that the magazine (cylinder) and grip are one behind the other, while in semi-autos, they occupy the same space. So a revolver with a 4" barrel will be considerably bigger than a semi-auto with the same barrel length.

Personally, I love shooting both. And rifles. And shotguns. :)