Why does a short barreled 686 cost more than a longer barrel ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why does a short barreled 686 cost more than a longer barrel ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why does a short barreled 686 cost more than a longer barrel ?

I went into a gun shop last week they had 3 686s, a 6 inch, 4 inch and a 2 1/2 inch. The 6 and 4 inch barrels were 699, the 2 1/2 was 750. I knew this was just a pricing mistake so i asked the clerk, why more for the shorter barrel than the longer ones. His reply was i thought stupid. 6 and 4 inch barrels are aboundant, but 2 1/2 inchers are not that common. My question is, is this guy full of it or what ? surley it cost more to make a longer barrel ? am i wrong ? your thoughts.

You'll shoot your eye out kid

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #2

It probably does cost more to make a long but it probably takes three times as long to sell a short one.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Probably correct on the availability of the 2 1/2" version. FWIW, the 4" is hard to beat

Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Short barrels wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
I went into a gun shop last week they had 3 686s, a 6 inch, 4 inch and a 2 1/2 inch. The 6 and 4 inch barrels were 699, the 2 1/2 was 750. I knew this was just a pricing mistake so i asked the clerk, why more for the shorter barrel than the longer ones. His reply was i thought stupid. 6 and 4 inch barrels are aboundant, but 2 1/2 inchers are not that common. My question is, is this guy full of it or what ? surley it cost more to make a longer barrel ? am i wrong ? your thoughts.
You are correct the longer the barrel, the more the material cost to make it. With that said, the reason for the higher price on the short barrel is the Novice on conceled carry will pay more. Notice I say "Novice". A beginner will think that the short barrel will be; lighter, smaller-easier to carry, harder to be seen by others, easier to shoot, and the list goes on. Facts are the 4" 686 is the most ideal overall carry, home defense, sport target shoot gun listed. I believe the 2 1/2" model you saw will bring it's price by "It's the First Gun I've ever owned" type person Most people on this board will steer you toward the 4" Model S&W 686. It is a FINE weapon. IMO buy the 6 shot model-just more proven to me.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 02-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Could be a simple matter of supply and demand. I buy light bulbs for where I work. A four foot flouresent tube costs about $1.87, A three foot tube costs $2.41. There are a lot of companies making a lot of four foot tubes so the cost comes down. Hell I just payed $175.00 for an off brand lower receiver. I'm sure that same thing cost under a hundred before Obama. But right now there is very low supply and very high demand, and I was willing to pay the price. AND I MAY GET ANOTHER.
JdP

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Jo nailed it.