Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I just got a Colt Army Special (38 special) made in 1919, and it still works great. Timing and lockup are excellent, and the action is smooth and light. Not bad for a gun made 95 years ago. I don't have any experience with the Anaconda or the Python, but they are on my list of guns I'd like to own.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I just got a Colt Army Special (38 special) made in 1919, and it still works great. Timing and lockup are excellent, and the action is smooth and light. Not bad for a gun made 95 years ago. I don't have any experience with the Anaconda or the Python, but they are on my list of guns I'd like to own.
That's really cool! Wasn't that the U.S. Army standard issue before the 1911?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
That's really cool! Wasn't that the U.S. Army standard issue before the 1911?

The Army and Navy used Colt M1892s and variants of it chambered in 38 Long Colt. The 38 Special is actually just a lengthened version of the 38 Long Colt. In 1909, the Military switched to the Colt New Service (chambered in 45 Long Colt) because of the .38 Long Colt's poor performance in the Philippines. In

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1892

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_New_Service

Variants of both the Colt M1892 and the Colt New Service (M1917) were used in WWI to supplement the insufficient stocks of M1911s.

The Colt Army Special was produced from 1908, to 1927. In 1927, it went through some minor changes, and was renamed the Colt Official Police. The name "Army Special" was a failed marketing strategy. Colt wanted this gun to be adopted by the Army, but it didn't happen. What did happen though is that this gun became very popular with both civilians and police officers. (hence it's new name in 1927).

Sorry about the history lesson, but I just love this kind of stuff.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-05-2014 at 01:49 AM.
JW357 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 AM   #44

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
The Army and Navy used Colt M1892s and variants of it chambered in 38 Long Colt. The 38 Special is actually just a lengthened version of the 38 Long Colt. In 1909, the Military switched to the Colt New Service (chambered in 45 Long Colt) because of the .38 Long Colt's poor performance in the Philippines. In

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1892

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_New_Service

Variants of both the Colt M1892 and the Colt New Service (M1917) were used in WWI to supplement the insufficient stocks of M1911s.

The Colt Army Special was produced from 1908, to 1927. In 1927, it went through some minor changes, and was renamed the Colt Official Police. The name "Army Special" was a failed marketing strategy. Colt wanted this gun to be adopted by the Army, but it didn't happen. What did happen though is that this gun became very popular with both civilians and police officers. (hence it's new name in 1927).

Sorry about the history lesson, but I just love this kind of stuff.
I enjoy history lessons very much and find the history and evolution of certain firearms fascinating. In other words; never apologized for teaching me something, I love too learn.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #45

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Also, Colt suffered a union STRIKE that was devastating to their production line. They were shipping PYTHONS without RIFLING in the barrel! I know because I almost bought one, brand new in the box. Good thing I did a check and looked down a SMOOTH bore. Actions like these forced Colt to settle with the UAW for amounts that they could not afford. Also they had the DOD contract for M16s that they could make money on w/o competition.

Noblesse Oblige

Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #46

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Every time I see this discussion it totally hacks me off! Trez knows that I feel this way about Colt and the Clinton abomination and I have to make the extra effort to not say what's really on my mind. The liberal's stated effort was to put the gun industry out of business, something that is buried in Tom Kilby's letter. If blame is needed, it should rest on the shoulders of the comatose public. Colt took 25,000 orders for the new small Survivor multi-caliber revolver. Colt had never taken so many orders for ANY of it products before or since. I know, I was there.
~Jonathan

Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1928 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwphillips2 View Post
Every time I see this discussion it totally hacks me off! Trez knows that I feel this way about Colt and the Clinton abomination and I have to make the extra effort to not say what's really on my mind. The liberal's stated effort was to put the gun industry out of business, something that is buried in Tom Kilby's letter. If blame is needed, it should rest on the shoulders of the comatose public. Colt took 25,000 orders for the new small Survivor multi-caliber revolver. Colt had never taken so many orders for ANY of it products before or since. I know, I was there.
~Jonathan
Why did Colt quit then?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #48
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Why did Colt quit then?
like anything else. demand. the demand for ar15/m16 saa and 1911 was MUCH greater by a lot and the floor space was most likely going to make colt more money by using it to produce a product that had much higher sales rates.

when a factory is planned the business does what is called a business plan. this plan, if the company is run even half-assed, is updated regularly. the number one thing that is determined is cost per square foot verses profit by square foot.

if a given ammount of space is not producing a desired profit margin something is done. for colt dropping the da revolvers was that something.

the reason for the profit/loss is irrelevent to the result from our pov. maybe it was unions maybe it was raw materials maybe it was blue aliens from the moon. whatever the reason colt decided to use that space for other products.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1928 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
like anything else. demand. the demand for ar15/m16 saa and 1911 was MUCH greater by a lot and the floor space was most likely going to make colt more money by using it to produce a product that had much higher sales rates.

when a factory is planned the business does what is called a business plan. this plan, if the company is run even half-assed, is updated regularly. the number one thing that is determined is cost per square foot verses profit by square foot.

if a given ammount of space is not producing a desired profit margin something is done. for colt dropping the da revolvers was that something.

the reason for the profit/loss is irrelevent to the result from our pov. maybe it was unions maybe it was raw materials maybe it was blue aliens from the moon. whatever the reason colt decided to use that space for other products.
I thought so, but he said 25,000 orders for just one new revolver? Something doesn't add up.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I thought so, but he said 25,000 orders for just one new revolver? Something doesn't add up.
if you sell x product with a 4 profit and sell 100 units and can only build 100 but have demand for 250

and you sell y product with a 2 profit and sell 150 units and are at max demand

which product would you sideline and devote factory space for??

im pretty sure the equation went something along those lines...

the next question is why not expand??

well same thing as my previous posting. you do a plan and figure costs vs profit vs demand.

recently colt HAS expanded operations. with expansion comes a whole host of issues in keeping quality consistent. its possible colt may reintroduce old product lines

im way over simplyifying it but the principle is the same regardless of details. for profit business does not operate off political expediency or romantic ideas of a given product line, but simple supply demand profit loss cost

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-23-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This