Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1170 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

Whatever.

Its Colts fault that my favorite gun is no longer made....

Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #32

Liked 49 Times on 36 Posts

In the 1990s the revolver fell out of fashion for police departments and everyone (both in the police and out) had to have higher capacity semiautos. Revolvers were a drag on the market. I remember those days fondly; I bought a LNIB Python for $500, two mint S&W 14s for $250 each and a mint nickel Model 10 for $150. Nobody wanted revolvers at the time. I only wish I'd bought more.

The market was no longer large enough to support S&W, Ruger and Colt. Somebody had to go and Colt was by far the weakest.

Colt isn't going to be able to afford to retool to get back in the revolver market, and they certainly aren't going to be able to make new Pythons. The high prices Pythons command now are driven by collectors who want them BECAUSE they aren't made any more. That doesn't mean people will pay them for new ones.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5821 Times on 3876 Posts
Likes Given: 3006

The only real concern about buying a Python is the inflated price. You can have a SW or a Ruger GP100 (I did) that will hit targets about as well.

The Colt timing problems are greatly exagerrated, like Mark Twain's premature death. First, the DA Colts are not all the same. The Python stands apart, because it has an additional cylinder stop, resulting in the bank vault locking. Try it with an Anaconda or other newer models. You will see a normal cylinder shake.

The Python has been compared to a fine sports car. You don't beat it up like a pickup truck. It may be higher maintenance. Even if you do, the hand was designed to be replaceable. (Admittedly a moot point today) I've had two, bought used, keeping one, used to shoot both a lot, never a timing issue. Grant Cunningham has recently published a book on revolvers, he is totally consistent on this. For some reason, the "bad timing" rumor keeps getting undue attention. Maybe it is comforting as an excuse not to pursue a Colt, but even then it is redundant. The prices are so high, I'd think again before buying a Python today. Definitely not an Anaconda or a King Cobra for this kind of money.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Each group 5 consec, freehand standing slowfire.

The Python makes good shooting easier. Today's practice.
image.jpg  

Last edited by Mercator; 02-18-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Uploading image
kbd512 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #35

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The timing problems with the Python were not just myths. If you were around in those days you would know. Had it not been for Cylinder and Slide repair service they would be even more rare. The creek beds would be full. Comparing a Colt Python to a car is safe, just don't compare them to the S&W Mdl. 27 of those days. Colt has the edge on the 1911 pistol. Any discontinued Colt becomes valuable due to Colt Collectors it has little to do with the quality of the firearm. Colt continues to produce the SAA Mdl. P revolver after 150 years. It is acceptable in the market place. Colt's history with double action revolvers has been one of poor sales.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

OK, noted.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #37

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My first Colt was a Huntsman-$54 in 1965 dollars. What a wonderful way to start! A few years later I was ready to purchase my first centerfire revolver and shortly before Colt switched from the Trooper to the Trooper Mark III. So I paid $135 dollars in 1970. It shot well but Colt had gone to a transfer bar system and for some reason mine would catch on the bottom of the firing pin if you raised the muzzle when cocking it. After the second trip back to Colt I traded it for a Smith Combat Magnum.
In addition to timing problems Colt chose to put the side plate on the left side. This put it in a position where a cut had to be made for the cylinder release. This resulted in a side plate that was extremely thin, it allowed for absolutely no prying! Many Colts were returned to the factory because an owner got anxious and didn't invest the time gently tapping with a small hammer on the grip frame on the opposite side to remove the side plate.
No one can disparage the beauty of the Diamond Back in .22 or .38 spl., or the Python.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #38

Liked 282 Times on 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
My first Colt was a Huntsman-$54 in 1965 dollars. What a wonderful way to start! A few years later I was ready to purchase my first centerfire revolver and shortly before Colt switched from the Trooper to the Trooper Mark III. So I paid $135 dollars in 1970. It shot well but Colt had gone to a transfer bar system and for some reason mine would catch on the bottom of the firing pin if you raised the muzzle when cocking it. After the second trip back to Colt I traded it for a Smith Combat Magnum.
In addition to timing problems Colt chose to put the side plate on the left side. This put it in a position where a cut had to be made for the cylinder release. This resulted in a side plate that was extremely thin, it allowed for absolutely no prying! Many Colts were returned to the factory because an owner got anxious and didn't invest the time gently tapping with a small hammer on the grip frame on the opposite side to remove the side plate.
No one can disparage the beauty of the Diamond Back in .22 or .38 spl., or the Python.
I love my .22 Diamondback! A Woodsman is my most recent Colt.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #39

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 66

You've chosen two of Colt's finest. I an unsure how many rounds went through the Huntsman . The only problem was that the spring on the magazine catch broke, but that was easily taken care of.
I enjoy the two Ruger semi auto .22s I presently own, I think I chose the Competition model because it reminded me of my old Huntsman. Have fun!

Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #40

Liked 282 Times on 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
You've chosen two of Colt's finest. I an unsure how many rounds went through the Huntsman . The only problem was that the spring on the magazine catch broke, but that was easily taken care of.
I enjoy the two Ruger semi auto .22s I presently own, I think I chose the Competition model because it reminded me of my old Huntsman. Have fun!
Thanks, they we're both passed down too me.
I've never shot one of those Rugers but I hear they're great.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app