Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Why not resume production now, given that every one made will sell, is a mystery to me too.
I would think they would have to completely retool up their production line, which as I understand it would be am extremely expensive process.

Cost to benefit analysis. Colt has to ask themselves if the cost of bringing back DA revolvers is worth it. Also will they be able to compete with S&W and Ruger.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2687 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Colt has been living on a thread for many years. The revolvers did not have enough margiin built in to compete with the likes of S&W and Ruger. IMHO, the steel used on the Python was inferior to that of S&W. Colt steel would take a beautiful bluing job, but did not have enough nickle to hold up long term.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #23

Liked 219 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So why not just run the stainless models?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20865 Times on 11859 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
then or now? from what i gathered, they just thought it wasn't cost effective to continue making revolvers due to the costs.

now, it would mean tooling up to make them and having qualified people to assemble them. plus it would mean taking up space in their factory to make them, taking away from production of current firearms, or buying or building new facility to make them.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #25

Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
That would jack up costs, stainless is hard and machining it wears tooling more rapidly.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #26

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Colt has the tooling and Colt Indts. their now Step-Sister is a leader in Metallurgy and supply. Colt is not going to reintroduce a "Lost"leader back into the Market place. The Colt Double Action line was never a real successful venture. They did well with the Mdl. P, SAA revolver and they continue to offer that handgun.
It is not anything more than Profit.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #27

Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 132

"Stainless steels have poor machinability compared to regular carbon steel because they are tougher, gummier and tend to work harden very rapidly.[4] Slightly hardening the steel may decrease its gumminess and make it easier to cut. AISI grades 303 and 416 are easier to machine because of the addition of sulphur and phosphorus"

Like I said.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8050 Times on 4645 Posts
Likes Given: 10392

It is a wonder why Colt does not take a page from Ruger's book and do what they did with the Red label. Ruger took it off the market and retooled everything, updating to modern manufacturing techniques and materials, making a better shotgun for less money. That savings is passed along to the consumer in a less expensive but better built gun.

Colt could do the same thing and re-introduce the guns/models they stopped manufacturing cheaper and better made. Why not?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
I'd never heard of any problems with the Python. Probably because I wasn't alive when the problems were being discovered. I've always wanted one but now I'm thinking twice. Care to explain the extent of the problems that occurred?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app
No, he just doesn't read. It was all over the press in the late 90's. The lawsuits were the reason to discontinue DA revolvers and some other lines, per Colt. One easy link ... http://www.cnn.com/US/9910/11/colt.handguns/ The cost of production was probably a big reason as well.

Every gun has its detractors. Most owners will say, Colt Python is an exquisite revolver. Shooting it is a joy. But it is the workmanship that makes it special. It also makes me shoot it less than I'd like to.

That said, you have to be extra careful buying one today. As good as they are, I am not sure all of them are worth their selling prices. You will likely encounter a used gun, often pretty shot-up. The cylinder timing should be high on the checklist.

Last edited by Mercator; 02-16-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1032 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I wish Colt still made the Trooper. The Python and Anaconda were a little nose heavy for my tastes, but they were and are excellent weapons.

However, what nitestalker said about Colt revolvers is correct. The S&W and Ruger revolvers, while not locking up as solidly as a Colt, have fewer issues with timing.

I have six Colt revolvers and you have to maintain them and understand how they work (or don't) and why. The gunsmith's fee is not cheap these days. My inherited Colt Cobra had timing issues and it took me a couple days to figure out how it worked and to correct the issue.

My gunsmith happens to work on Colt revolvers though most don't, understands how they work, and was able to provide guidance to me so that I could fix it myself, but you have to take notes, you have to have spare parts, files, and gauges. I like tinkering with things, but most people just want their guns to work and don't want to figure out how they work.