Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2644 Times on 1842 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
Was it lawsuits? Or another reason?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app
There was a lawsuit involving a child. Colt is silent on this, AFAIK. It could be a combination of factors, not sure which one was the last straw.

The Pythons were basically handmade. I have no allegiance to Colt, but this one is truly like no other production gun I've ever handled, including other Colt DA's. And I mean mechanically, not just the fit and finish.

Colt was having serious difficulties and AFAIR almost went out of business. Why not resume production now, given that every one made will sell, is a mystery to me too.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #12

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Colts were really over rated. Colt pistols were used in a lot of popular movies which generated a lot of demand. Several famous Generals carried custom made Colt pistols. Not a lot of people that made a living with a gun prefered Colt pistols.
In regards to their semiautos they're terrific! Particularly the Woodsman series.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #13

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Where in the hell does the urban legends come from? No lawsuit over a child had anything to do with the Python being a market failure. Colt offered the old 1890 action slightly "beefed" up. Their Bank vault cylinder lock was subject to wear. The hands had to be changed out like spark plugs in a car quite often. In heavy use the hands needed to be changed every 6 months. This was very expensive for police departments as well as civilians. If the gun was not kept timed the resultant damage was very expensive.
S&W did not have these problems. They and later on Ruger took over the market with better designed handguns.
They are expensive today because they are a discontued Colt offerings. The prices are driven by gun collectors not shooters. When they were available they did not sell. Had these guns done well in the market place Colt would produce them. Colt is still producing the SAA Mdl. P after 150 years.

Last edited by nitestalker; 02-09-2014 at 07:25 AM.
DrFootball Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Where in the hell does the urban legends come from? No lawsuit over a child had anything to do with the Python being a market failure. Colt offered the old 1890 action slightly "beefed" up. Their Bank vault cylinder lock was subject to wear. The hands had to be changed out like spark plugs in a car quite often. In heavy use the hands needed to be changed every 6 months. This was very expensive for police departments as well as civilians. If the gun was not kept timed the resultant damage was very expensive.
S&W did not have these problems. They and later on Ruger took over the market with better designed handguns.
I'd never heard of any problems with the Python. Probably because I wasn't alive when the problems were being discovered. I've always wanted one but now I'm thinking twice. Care to explain the extent of the problems that occurred?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

At one time there was a rumor that the new Colt plant being built in Central Florida would produce DA revolvers. As of the last news release it now seems like it will be strictly used for "military weapons" production. Remember, this is the media. I don't know if they meant firearms destined for military only distribution, or if they are talking about the dreaded military assault rifles we all know as ARs.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #16

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 920

The same reason Theres no more Medusas... Colt decided to drop their "newer" designs in favor of their classic ones. (Colt was going to release a version of the Medusa called the Survivor)

Quote:
“October 5th, 1999

Dear Colt Distributor,

Rumors abound in this industry, particularly with regard to our plans concerning product supply. This letter will confirm those plans. Please excuse the impersonal salutation, but we have concentrated on getting this information to you as quickly as possible.

In developing our 2000 business plans and identifying strategic needs beyond 2000, we have had to face the harsh reality of the significant impact which our litigation defense costs are having on our ability to operate competitively in the marketplace.

Accordingly, we have made the decision to consolidate our product lines as follows:

A. Effective immediately, Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc. will accept no new orders for the following products:

1. Magnum Carry

2. DS II 38 Special

3. Python Elite - I's

4. Anaconda - MM's

5. 380s

6. Pocket Nine

7. 1991 Family

Please note: All standard model variations within the above products are also discontinued, effective immediately.

While these products are being discontinued, we will be reviewing orders in house and will advise each distributor as soon as possible if any of those orders for these products will be affected.

B. Colt's very pleased to advise you that we will continue to manufacture and actively promote the sale of a variety of important handguns which best support and represent the unique value of the Colt Brand. These include:

1. Single Action Army

2. Cowboys

3. Model O's (New XS, Defender, Custom)

Due to the continued escalation of our litigation costs, coupled with our strong desire to maintain a meaningful presence in the handgun segment of the business, the prices of these products will be increased by 6%, effective immediately. All orders currently on hand at Colt's will be honored at the current existing prices.

Our marketing objective is to streamline our handgun line into a smaller, but higher value collection of real Colt 'Classics', which best represent our brand, with much more emphasis on providing custom features and custom appearance for serious gun enthusiasts and shooters and collectors, and those interested in owning a real Colt product of some special value.

Meanwhile we will continue to provide Match Target rifles and are in the final stages of implementing the launch of our new Colt Light Rifle.

We are committed to taking a 'Classic' rather than the 'me too' approach to the future development of our product lines and plan to focus more on what we have been best known for and best for the past 164 years!

We appreciate your patience, understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions, please direct them to your regional Colt Sales Manager, Dave Ridley, or Dave Horn.

Sincerely,

Thomas H. Kilby

Vice President Marketing & Sales

Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc.”
Thread here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-real-truth-41329/
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

here is some similiar information i hav found that goes along with what Trez posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Python#cite_note-hawks-2

In October 1999, Colt Manufacturing Co. announced the termination of its production of Python revolvers. In a 2000 follow-up letter to distributors, the company cited changing market conditions and the costs of defending lawsuits as the reasons for the discontinuation of the Python line as well as a number of other models.[8] The Colt Custom Gun Shop continued making a limited number of Pythons on special order until 2005, when even this limited production was terminated.[2]

Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I still wish I hadn't sold my Trooper MK III. One sweet weapon..

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
The same reason Theres no more Medusas... Colt decided to drop their "newer" designs in favor of their classic ones. (Colt was going to release a version of the Medusa called the Survivor)

Thread here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-real-truth-41329/
Thanks for the info and links guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
here is some similiar information i hav found that goes along with what Trez posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Python#cite_note-hawks-2

In October 1999, Colt Manufacturing Co. announced the termination of its production of Python revolvers. In a 2000 follow-up letter to distributors, the company cited changing market conditions and the costs of defending lawsuits as the reasons for the discontinuation of the Python line as well as a number of other models.[8] The Colt Custom Gun Shop continued making a limited number of Pythons on special order until 2005, when even this limited production was terminated.[2]

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I still wish I hadn't sold my Trooper MK III. One sweet weapon..
I remember my Grandpa had one with a scope on it. It was a very sweet gun.