Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Who has the best prices for .38 Taurus revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

With out relying on anything, but my own personal experience and the experience of my friends, co-workers, range buddies, etc. over the last several years. . . I can tell you this Taurus is an inferior firearm.

Sure they may work for a while, even several years, but they will never stand up against an American revolver. There are (few) firearms of excellent quality that are non-American made, but Taurus is not one of them. I own several imported (mostly mil-surp) firearms, but you will never find a Taurus in my safe.

Look around long enough and you'll find a (maybe used) solid piece of American steel for about the same price as a new Taurus. Even if it has already lived half it's life and been used throughout, it will still out last and out class the POS Taurus.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To each their own, dude. My .357 mag (circa 1979) has never let me down... Nor has it let my father down... nor my grandfather, who originally used it as his on-duty sidearm. And I've never had a problem with my .38 either. Not every single Taurus is a POS.

And IIRC, the OP asked where to go for good pricing.

Last edited by Jynx; 04-12-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
Nor has it let my father down... nor my grandfather, who originally used it as his on-duty sidearm. So, I can assume that not only will you never have a Taurus in your safe, but you also never have had one in your safe as well? Not every single Taurus is a POS.

And IIRC, the OP asked where to go for good pricing.
Interesting that your Grandfather carried (and I assume trained with) a Taurus as a primary sidearm during the late 70's. What part of the country was this in?

I did have one Taurus, I bought from a friend in a bind and sold it back to him when he came back up. I've shot several and while they put it where you want it (for the most part) I have witnessed a complete failure of a cylinder crane (missing/lost cylinder stop plunger and spring) and complete loss of front sight during rapid fire/reloading. First was on a 65, second was on a Raging Bull. Both folks had a hell of a time getting anyone to help them out of Taurus' customer service (or lack of).

I've also spoke with gunsmiths that tell of many more Taurus firearms coming in for repairs than of comparable makers.

So yes the OP asked for best pricing. . . that can be found via a simple internet search or asking around your local shops, but what I was trying to offer was an opinion based on fact and experience in hopes that the OP would steer in the direction of investing in a product that is not having the current problems that Taurus is.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Interesting that your Grandfather carried (and I assume trained with) a Taurus as a primary sidearm during the late 70's. What part of the country was this in?
Grandpa was an police officer in Chicago from 1953 until his death in 1984.

Perhaps I take the onslaught against Taurus personally because of that. This is something that I'm used to dealing with though. I purchased my model 85 because I was looking for something to conceal that was just a bit smaller than the .357 mag. I will admit I'm not a fan of the handling of some newer Taurus models. However while I do prefer the .357, I'm not about to curse the 85 altogether. I am pretty meticulous with my firearms, and usually catch a problem before it becomes an issue during live fire. I've yet to catch one out of either of my Taurus models.

What is one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
What is one man's trash is another man's treasure.
You said it. . . to each their own. I know many folks love Taurus and back them up with their experience. . .

This obligates me to also share my own experience as well as advice.

When I hold a Taurus, I'm just holding another functional, but imported gun with little character/uniqueness.

When I hold a Smith or Ruger, I can feel the rigidity, craftsmanship and quality, that only innovative engineers and talented working Americans can produce.

I know there is always room for human error, but statistics speak for themselves.

Regardless, I respect everyone's opinions and experience as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #16

In response to your original question...

I've always been a fan of the out in the boonies private individual's shop. It's nice to walk in and find a man behind the counter who owns the store (on his own property), knows the ins and outs of every gun in that shop (because he's tested them all at the range in his backyard) and isn't afraid to give you advice.

I also like to know that my purchase is going into the hands of an American small business owner and his family. Warm and fuzzy feelings all around. Should be able to find one in a local phone book. (They still have those, right?)

Just my personal experience, results may vary. :-)

For the record, I do own a Taurus, and never had any problems with regular cleaning.

Last edited by LegatoRedrivers; 04-13-2010 at 04:17 AM.