Wheres My S&W Guru???? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Wheres My S&W Guru????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It is a Model 64-4, stainless steel K-frame .38 Special with fixed sights. Hammer and trigger are hard chromed steel. The lanyard ring was not standard, but the 3" barrel was available from 1974 on. It may have been special ordered for police, corrections, or security personnel. This was a very popular service weapon for police departments before the transition to semi autos.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #12

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This is a S&W Mdl. 1905 H.E. This was exported to Great Britian 1940-1945. This was called the British 38/200 by the Brit Military. Yes, these K Frame Hand Ejectors became Mdl. 10s after 1948. They were returned to the U.S. and sold for $18 bucks in the early 60s. I am presently dealing on a S&W .45 H.E. that went to Merry ole England. These were chambered in the British .45 Enfield Caliber. This is one of my favorite S&W H.E. Mdls.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #13

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Thanks guys- It is a Victory Mdl - Lanyard is factory, finish ain't, still not sure about wood grips?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #14

Liked 94 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 29

That 'strange' front sight was the standard front sight for S&W up until the late '40s - early '50s. C3 has correctly identified the revolver.

One also notes the neat stamp "S&W.38 Special" on the left side of the frame. The original revolver was chambered in .38 S&W - or as our British cousins styled it, .380-200 (200 being the original bullet weight). This stamping indicates the revolver was 'rechambered' (meaning the chambers were lengthened) to .38 Special. Firing standard pressure .38 Special cartridges is reasonably safe, but the base section of the cases expand.

I have a similar revolver, except when they cut the barrel on my example, they whacked off the ejector rod lug as well. Mine is also nickeled and has genuine imitation stag grips.

As part of a family heritage that revolver is near priceless. The display case idea is marvelous.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how does one "lenghten a chamber " ? do you mean replace the 38 s&w cylinder with a 38 special cylinder?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is stamped into the top or sides of the barrel? What/where are any other markings? My best guess from what's been posted is that it's a .38 Military and Police "Victory" Model. If that's the case, the 2" barrel is rare. Those stocks are not original and came from a much later gun. The nickel finish is not likely to be original, but it is possible.

The serial number, found on the butt, should also be stamped on the bottom of the barrel(flat part above the ejector rod), on the rear face of the cylinder, and on the yoke. To see the stamping on the yoke, you'll need to use a flashlight and shine it through the chambers. There may also be an "S" stamped next to the "V" in the serial number. It may also be stamped somewhere on the sideplate. If it is, the gun has the "new" style hammer block safety. If it's not there, I'd leave an empty chamber under the hammer for carry or storage.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
how does one "lenghten a chamber " ? do you mean replace the 38 s&w cylinder with a 38 special cylinder?
The cylinders are the same length. A .38 special chambering reamer would be run into the .38 S&W chamber to make it longer. If you google "SAAMI chamber drawings", you should find a link to the standard chamber drawings that manufacturers use. If you look at the drawings, it will be obvious what has to be done.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The marking is not TGNS but TONS. It is a British proof mark for foreign made firearms, showing the pressure it was test fired to.

I THINK most Victory models began with the letter V. From the end of the ejector rod, I would say this is likely a Model 1905, which is BEFORE the Model 10 M&P Special, and before the Victory. This MAY have gone to Britain as a Lend Lease gun.

As noted, that is nicklelplate, and not stainless.
I just saw this.

I have a 1905 M&P in .38 Spl with a higher serial number and no "V" prefix. Mine was made right around the end of 1941, and a gun with a serial number close to mine went to DSC(per factory letter). Mine doesn't have any military or gov't proofs.

I can't find any reference to 2" barreled .38 S&W chambered revolvers having gone to Allied nations. Strange stuff happened with S&W revolvers though, so.....

Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #19

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieresponder View Post
I just saw this.

I have a 1905 M&P in .38 Spl with a higher serial number and no "V" prefix. Mine was made right around the end of 1941, and a gun with a serial number close to mine went to DSC(per factory letter). Mine doesn't have any military or gov't proofs.

I can't find any reference to 2" barreled .38 S&W chambered revolvers having gone to Allied nations. Strange stuff happened with S&W revolvers though, so.....
Its a 3 1/2" barrel - been cut down - No S

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET