You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Where can I get a colt python ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 289 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Since I'm not a collector, I fail to see the infatuation with the Colt Python. I had one many years ago, and it was nice enough for a .38 Special or some .357 Magnum handloads, but when S&W introduced their model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum, I latched onto a couple of those, swapped off the Python, and never looked back.

In my book, the S&W 586 is the finest double action .357 Magnum revolver to come down the pike, bar none.

Bob Wright

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #22

Liked 434 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Since I'm not a collector, I fail to see the infatuation with the Colt Python. I had one many years ago, and it was nice enough for a .38 Special or some .357 Magnum handloads, but when S&W introduced their model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum, I latched onto a couple of those, swapped off the Python, and never looked back.

In my book, the S&W 586 is the finest double action .357 Magnum revolver to come down the pike, bar none.

Bob Wright
Guess I'd be interested in hearing your reasons why you feel the 586 is better than the Python.

I'm a Python collector as well a S&W collector.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I got my Python off of Gunbroker. The dealer I use to process my non C&R firearms won't except a gun from anyone thats not a FFL holder and he recomends using a credit card. Even with the extra 3% most people require at least if you get scammed you have some recourse. I wanted a Python in my collection because I had never owned one. I also wanted a 6" blued. I just feel at Python should be their royal blue but thats just me.

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #24

Liked 289 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Guess I'd be interested in hearing your reasons why you feel the 586 is better than the Python.

I'm a Python collector as well a S&W collector.
At the time, I was shooting very heavily, and with usually very heavy .357 Magnum handloads. I did a lot of shooting with the Keith 173 gr. cast SWC bullet. I hated crimping over the front shoulder, preferring to crimp in the crimping groove, giving me slightly more room for powder. Thus loaded, my cartridges would not fit into the Python (nor the S&W Model 27) without the bullet noses protruding from the face of the cylinder.

In addition, I was shooting very heavily in double action mode, and the Smith just always delivered better DA let-off than any Colt action. And, being case hardened, the trigger pull on my 586 just never varied a whit from the first shot through the next several thousand.

As to accuracy between the two, I could never really discern any difference. Each gun provided me with far better accuracy than I'm capable of. But the shape of the Smith's frame in the grip area just made it better handling for me, plus the general overall ruggedness of the L-Frame has just sold me on that design.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6246 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
At the time, I was shooting very heavily, and with usually very heavy .357 Magnum handloads. I did a lot of shooting with the Keith 173 gr. cast SWC bullet. I hated crimping over the front shoulder, preferring to crimp in the crimping groove, giving me slightly more room for powder. Thus loaded, my cartridges would not fit into the Python (nor the S&W Model 27) without the bullet noses protruding from the face of the cylinder.

In addition, I was shooting very heavily in double action mode, and the Smith just always delivered better DA let-off than any Colt action. And, being case hardened, the trigger pull on my 586 just never varied a whit from the first shot through the next several thousand.

As to accuracy between the two, I could never really discern any difference. Each gun provided me with far better accuracy than I'm capable of. But the shape of the Smith's frame in the grip area just made it better handling for me, plus the general overall ruggedness of the L-Frame has just sold me on that design.
I wish you would say it on the national stage, so I could buy another Colt for less

Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Mine is 37 years old. It's been shot once in the last 5 years. I have no plans to sell it. It was a 16th B-Day present from my Dad and Uncles...not even a scuff mark on it. I only handle it with gloves on....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 12-24-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #27

Liked 247 Times on 184 Posts

I offered my ex girlfriends dad 1k plus my gp100 (so he still had a 357) for his python and no deal. Wouldn't come off his enfield either lol

Old 12-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #28

Liked 3384 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I offered my ex girlfriends dad 1k plus my gp100 (so he still had a 357) for his python and no deal. Wouldn't come off his enfield either lol
Some things just aren't for sale.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Yup,..like integrity...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1927 Times on 1079 Posts
Likes Given: 829

If I ever get my hands on a Python, like my Troopers, it is most definitely not for sale. The ones I've handled, owned by friends or acquaintances, were simply too good at doing what they do to let go of.