Where can I get a colt python ? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Where can I get a colt python ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Since I'm not a collector, I fail to see the infatuation with the Colt Python. I had one many years ago, and it was nice enough for a .38 Special or some .357 Magnum handloads, but when S&W introduced their model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum, I latched onto a couple of those, swapped off the Python, and never looked back.

In my book, the S&W 586 is the finest double action .357 Magnum revolver to come down the pike, bar none.

Bob Wright

Old 12-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #22

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Since I'm not a collector, I fail to see the infatuation with the Colt Python. I had one many years ago, and it was nice enough for a .38 Special or some .357 Magnum handloads, but when S&W introduced their model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum, I latched onto a couple of those, swapped off the Python, and never looked back.

In my book, the S&W 586 is the finest double action .357 Magnum revolver to come down the pike, bar none.

Bob Wright
Guess I'd be interested in hearing your reasons why you feel the 586 is better than the Python.

I'm a Python collector as well a S&W collector.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I got my Python off of Gunbroker. The dealer I use to process my non C&R firearms won't except a gun from anyone thats not a FFL holder and he recomends using a credit card. Even with the extra 3% most people require at least if you get scammed you have some recourse. I wanted a Python in my collection because I had never owned one. I also wanted a 6" blued. I just feel at Python should be their royal blue but thats just me.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #24

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Guess I'd be interested in hearing your reasons why you feel the 586 is better than the Python.

I'm a Python collector as well a S&W collector.
At the time, I was shooting very heavily, and with usually very heavy .357 Magnum handloads. I did a lot of shooting with the Keith 173 gr. cast SWC bullet. I hated crimping over the front shoulder, preferring to crimp in the crimping groove, giving me slightly more room for powder. Thus loaded, my cartridges would not fit into the Python (nor the S&W Model 27) without the bullet noses protruding from the face of the cylinder.

In addition, I was shooting very heavily in double action mode, and the Smith just always delivered better DA let-off than any Colt action. And, being case hardened, the trigger pull on my 586 just never varied a whit from the first shot through the next several thousand.

As to accuracy between the two, I could never really discern any difference. Each gun provided me with far better accuracy than I'm capable of. But the shape of the Smith's frame in the grip area just made it better handling for me, plus the general overall ruggedness of the L-Frame has just sold me on that design.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1771 Times on 1217 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
At the time, I was shooting very heavily, and with usually very heavy .357 Magnum handloads. I did a lot of shooting with the Keith 173 gr. cast SWC bullet. I hated crimping over the front shoulder, preferring to crimp in the crimping groove, giving me slightly more room for powder. Thus loaded, my cartridges would not fit into the Python (nor the S&W Model 27) without the bullet noses protruding from the face of the cylinder.

In addition, I was shooting very heavily in double action mode, and the Smith just always delivered better DA let-off than any Colt action. And, being case hardened, the trigger pull on my 586 just never varied a whit from the first shot through the next several thousand.

As to accuracy between the two, I could never really discern any difference. Each gun provided me with far better accuracy than I'm capable of. But the shape of the Smith's frame in the grip area just made it better handling for me, plus the general overall ruggedness of the L-Frame has just sold me on that design.
I wish you would say it on the national stage, so I could buy another Colt for less

Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #26
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3069 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Mine is 37 years old. It's been shot once in the last 5 years. I have no plans to sell it. It was a 16th B-Day present from my Dad and Uncles...not even a scuff mark on it. I only handle it with gloves on....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 12-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #27

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I offered my ex girlfriends dad 1k plus my gp100 (so he still had a 357) for his python and no deal. Wouldn't come off his enfield either lol

Old 12-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2733 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I offered my ex girlfriends dad 1k plus my gp100 (so he still had a 357) for his python and no deal. Wouldn't come off his enfield either lol
Some things just aren't for sale.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3069 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Yup,..like integrity...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1054 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 441

If I ever get my hands on a Python, like my Troopers, it is most definitely not for sale. The ones I've handled, owned by friends or acquaintances, were simply too good at doing what they do to let go of.