Where can I get a colt python ? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Where can I get a colt python ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 432 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Try Armslist in your area too.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

Liked 283 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd suggest you go to lots of gun shows. There are folks who bad mouth gun shows, saying they're more flea markets than anything else, and too high admission price.

The last gun show I went to here in Memphis I saw maybe a dozen Pythons and a half dozen Diamondbacks. Sure, it cost me $9 to get in, with a one dollar off coupon that came in the mail. But I spent a pleasant Saturday morning walking around talking to some pretty nice folks, most of whom I'd never met before.

The Pythons are out there. Just keep looking. And bring lots of money! You'd be surprised how the asking price falls when you count out $100 bills.

Bob Wright
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

Liked 3303 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Pythons are nice. However, they are a lot like an expensive old car from a company that been out of business for decades. Probably best kept as a Sunday driver since parts aren't growing on trees. They are lovely, but they are stupidly overpriced.
Yes, I own one. If I were forced endure today's prices, I'd pass.

Another possible option:
The original Colt Trooper. Built using the same hand fitted action as the Python, but without the underlug barrel and the extra polishing. While they are not exactly giving them away, they are dramatically cheaper than their prettier, more coveted brethren, all the while sharing that old school Colt goodness. If you are maintaining proper sight picture, the differences will be harder to spot.

Whatever course you decide, enjoy.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
People Like This 
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5693 Times on 3809 Posts
Likes Given: 2943

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
As others have said there's several on gunbroker,I wouldn't buy a used firearm online without a 3 day inspection period....Period.
That sounds like Missouri

I think your best bet is Gunbroker, not only because it is larger, but it has the best feedback system that can be used for reference. On GunsAmerica the feedback is inconsistent. Consider using a credit card. The extra 3% buys you the ability to dispute the charge in case of a serious problem.

As a Python owner I can tell you, I would not have bought it today. The asking prices are hysterical. A Colt looks like no other, but when it comes to hitting targets, you will score just as well with a S&W or a Ruger. Just something to consider before writing the big check.
Tinstar Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #15

I found one at guns international.com
Here is the description
Colt Python .357 Mag 6" Satin Stainless Steel Finish 'NRA Perfect (As New) Condition. In Blue Hard Case'.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5693 Times on 3809 Posts
Likes Given: 2943

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack View Post
I found one at guns international.com
Here is the description
Colt Python .357 Mag 6" Satin Stainless Steel Finish 'NRA Perfect (As New) Condition. In Blue Hard Case'.
Sounds good. If you want a family heirloom, it's your money. Most owners will not fire such a piece much, or not at all. If you want to practice, compete, or hunt, you are overpaying every $ above 2K.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #17

I have a friend who just got one. However im curious about it because it has no firing pin the grips are gone and the barrel has a screw in it, anyone now what that means?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1746 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Pythons are nice. However, they are a lot like an expensive old car from a company that been out of business for decades. Probably best kept as a Sunday driver since parts aren't growing on trees. They are lovely, but they are stupidly overpriced.
Yes, I own one. If I were forced endure today's prices, I'd pass.

Another possible option:
The original Colt Trooper. Built using the same hand fitted action as the Python, but without the underlug barrel and the extra polishing. While they are not exactly giving them away, they are dramatically cheaper than their prettier, more coveted brethren, all the while sharing that old school Colt goodness. If you are maintaining proper sight picture, the differences will be harder to spot.

Whatever course you decide, enjoy.
The Colt Python, The Colt 357 (a precursor to the Colt Trooper with a nicer finish), and original Colt Trooper (not the more common and newer, relatively speaking, Colt Trooper Mk III or Mk V) all share the same action. The Python has a slightly thicker frame. All of them are fantabulous revolvers, smooth, accurate, and well-made.

I have three Colt Trooper revolvers. I'm not sure why but the nose heavy feel of the Colt Python doesn't appeal to me as much as the quicker-to-point and better-balanced, in my opinion, Colt Trooper. That said, I'd never turn my nose up at a Python.

The Python was the first revolver I'd ever handled. My father has a friend who has quite a collection, amongst them a Python and Anaconda. Great pieces, but expensive.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1746 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverlover97 View Post
I have a friend who just got one. However im curious about it because it has no firing pin the grips are gone and the barrel has a screw in it, anyone now what that means?
That means your friend doesn't have a Colt Python, he has a paperweight that looks like a Colt Python. If he can buy a new barrel and firing pin then he may, at that point, have a Colt Python. All of that, of course, assumes that nothing else was done to render it inoperative.

Python barrels can cost more than a brand new Ruger .357, so I hope your friend has deep pockets.

The grips are easy to replace and you should be able to get them from eBay, GunBroker, GunsAmerica, or just about any other place where Colt revolver parts are available for sale. Generally speaking, these have to be fitted to the revolver. It's something you can do yourself if you have time on your hands.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #20

Liked 3303 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverlover97 View Post
It means some sick SOB attempted to render it inoperable.

Python parts are out there, but they ain't cheap or easy to find. When you do find a barrel, it's no small matter to have it fitted. Oh, and good gunsmiths who know Colts aren't terribly common. Depending on vintage, older, nice OEM grips are getting expensive. Because most owners changed them out for comfortable ones, and promptly lost them.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-23-2013 at 03:12 PM.