What's the most you would pay for a Colt Python? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > What's the most you would pay for a Colt Python?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #31
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3191 Times on 2171 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Default No Doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Dr, i would love to find one at a decent price! i have shot a few many years ago and just loved the feel of them. truly a terrific pistol. i like the Smiths, but the thing is IMO that makes the Colts much more pricy is they don't make them anymore. that and most people tend to hang onto their Colts and when one does come up for sale, it's usually not cheap.
Very true. I also attribute some of the pricing to"the Scare" we are currently enduring. The Python, King Cobra, Trooper, and Lawman Models because of the ability to shoot both .38 & .357's were always more sought after. I have been offered as much as 1800 cash for mine and that's just from taking it to the range 2x in the last 6 months. The modern .38's only Colts(Det. Sp.,Cobra, Diamondback) don't bring in as much these days even though just as rare(I have Both of Dad's: his On-duty back up(Cobra 3") and his Offduty(2.5" det. sp.)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Very true. I also attribute some of the pricing to"the Scare" we are currently enduring. The Python, King Cobra, Trooper, and Lawman Models because of the ability to shoot both .38 & .357's were always more sought after. I have been offered as much as 1800 cash for mine and that's just from taking it to the range 2x in the last 6 months. The modern .38's only Colts(Det. Sp.,Cobra, Diamondback) don't bring in as much these days even though just as rare(I have Both of Dad's: his On-duty back up(Cobra 3") and his Offduty(2.5" det. sp.)
Dr, Smith is still making many of their revolvers and Colt other than the SAA isn't making revolvers anymore. so there is simply a limited number out there available for sale. IMO, i think most people that have one, like them enough that they tend to keep them and so that limits the amount of them for sale as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #33

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
That may be true in some cases but some of us are just raised a certain way and prefer to show respect. As for the topic: I stated several msgs. back that I would never sell mine. I have sold other Colt's(a Diamondback that hurt like hell to let go!), as well as other firearms. If I were in the market for a Python knowing what I know about the collectors value of the model, I would pay the market cost for a 100% condition item.
My point is that what usually comes after 'with all due respect' is disrespectful. And my comment was certainly not directed at you, rather the recent arrival, who has been busy making insightful posts.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Saw one in my LGS today, with what looked to be a 6" barrel or so. They were asking right around $2000. It looked absolutely immaculate. I didn't ask to hold it. I generally don't with guns that have that price. I just don't feel right, unless I'm actually thinking about buying one. I know its dumb, but I almost feel like I'm disrespecting the gun or something like that, by holding it without thinking to buy it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #35

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
Saw one in my LGS today, with what looked to be a 6" barrel or so. They were asking right around $2000. It looked absolutely immaculate. I didn't ask to hold it. I generally don't with guns that have that price. I just don't feel right, unless I'm actually thinking about buying one. I know its dumb, but I almost feel like I'm disrespecting the gun or something like that, by holding it without thinking to buy it.
You can't disrespect an inanimate object, my friend. Whenever I get the urge to fondle a gun I know I can't afford or have no intention of buying I'll just tell the guy behind the counter that. I've bought enough guns from the LGS in the area that they know I'm good for repeat business.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 06-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #36

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I passed on colts python back in '76 when looking for a great revolver and still today find no reason to own one if priced at 1000 dollars new. Sorry but looks alone never did anything for me and they were not know to digest a diet of hot loads with out issues even after 20 years of production then . Now the anacondia ?? I do have DW revolvers.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #37

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Personally....if Colt were to start producing the Python again, I'd give it a serious look, but I won't buy a gun that I'm afraid to shoot, no safe queens for me, with the rarity and cost of these fine revolvers I'm in no position to shell out that kind of money for a piece that if it failed, I'd be hard pressed to find a gunsmith who could fix it.....

Don't get me wrong, I think the Colt Python is the Rolex of revolvers, I have had the pleasure of shooting a couple, and absolutely love them, but I shoot all my guns a lot, and I don't always baby them with mild loads, so I just can't personally justify spending the $$$ on a revolver that I'd be afraid to shoot the same way I shoot my GP-100, or model-29......YMMV

Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #38
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3191 Times on 2171 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar
Personally....if Colt were to start producing the Python again, I'd give it a serious look, but I won't buy a gun that I'm afraid to shoot, no safe queens for me, with the rarity and cost of these fine revolvers I'm in no position to shell out that kind of money for a piece that if it failed, I'd be hard pressed to find a gunsmith who could fix it.....

Don't get me wrong, I think the Colt Python is the Rolex of revolvers, I have had the pleasure of shooting a couple, and absolutely love them, but I shoot all my guns a lot, and I don't always baby them with mild loads, so I just can't personally justify spending the $$$ on a revolver that I'd be afraid to shoot the same way I shoot my GP-100, or model-29......YMMV
Understand totally! mine is about 35 years old, I don't think I have had more then 5 misfires due to bad ammo, but it was in long term storage mode for 8+ years until 3 months ago when I opened the Box inside the safe that had come with my stuff from back east in my cousin's basement. I have put about 350 rounds through it since then..nice tight groups out to 25 yards, and I can prob. get good ones at 50 from a rest...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...